Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 02:11 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times

Advertisements

Just an FIY for CDers in Sacramento area.

One of my relatives was exposed to a person with Covid-19 two weeks ago. He's quite sick now and has been for 10+ days.

Relative has the following symptoms: fever that comes and goes and spikes high; uncontrollable and persistent cough (neighbors can hear him); no taste or smell; lungs filled or obstructed with something (has to sleep sitting up); difficulty taking full breaths and can't talk for long; body aches; blowing blood out of nose and other issues.

He called Kaiser for help and was offered only antibiotics for what the doctor said was viral pneumonia. Like that's gonna help. He asked to be seen by a doctor (no at the emergency room) and was denied. Further, the "doctor" told him if he came to the emergency room, they would "put him on a ventilator" and if he wanted to avoid that don't come to the ER. Relative said he felt the Kaiser doctor used the ventilator as a threat to stop him from going to the ER for help and to be seen. THAT was very clear to him.

Also, doctor refused to order relative be tested for Covid-19.

Clearly, my relative needs medical care and attention. Another hospital (not Kaiser) in the area told my relative they would see him if he came to their ER (no threat of ventilator) and strongly urged him to be seen by a doctor because they can hear on the phone the condition he's in.

He will be leaving Kaiser when he can.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
OMG I can hardly believe this, but of course I do. We had Kaiser in Sac several years ago and then again when we lived in the DC area/ I was never really happy with the plan, but this is not the place to discuss why I didn't care for them. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 04-02-2020, 03:16 PM

987 posts, read 779,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post

One of my relatives was exposed to a person with Covid-19 two weeks ago. He's quite sick now and has been for 10+ days.

Relative has the following symptoms: fever that comes and goes and spikes high; uncontrollable and persistent cough (neighbors can hear him); no taste or smell; lungs filled or obstructed with something (has to sleep sitting up); difficulty taking full breaths and can't talk for long; body aches; blowing blood out of nose and other issues.

He called Kaiser for help and was offered only antibiotics for what the doctor said was viral pneumonia. Like that's gonna help. He asked to be seen by a doctor (no at the emergency room) and was denied. Further, the "doctor" told him if he came to the emergency room, they would "put him on a ventilator" and if he wanted to avoid that don't come to the ER. Relative said he felt the Kaiser doctor used the ventilator as a threat to stop him from going to the ER for help and to be seen. THAT was very clear to him.

Clearly, my relative needs medical care and attention. Another hospital (not Kaiser) in the area told my relative they would see him if he came to their ER (no threat of ventilator) and strongly urged him to be seen by a doctor because they can hear on the phone the condition he's in.

He should go to the ER asap

Old 04-02-2020, 03:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post

Thank you for posting this. I am going to tell people I know what you said.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:32 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Call ahead please, don’t come in and infect everyone. Call and they tell you where to go in.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:38 PM

572 posts, read 599,069 times
Kaiser is completely by the book for better and for worse. I've had both good and bad experiences with Kaiser. They basically follow algorithms to provide the best medical care they can with the most efficient resources. I imagine that your relative did not fit set criteria for testing and treatment. I know several people that have had what appears to be COVID related symptoms and have not been able to get tested anywhere. The system is overwhelmed right now and the infrastructure that is supposed to address this type of major event has been woefully slow and inefficient at responding to this.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:09 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
How could he possibly not fit the criteria?

Old 04-02-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
He should go to the ER asap
The Kaiser doctor told him to NOT come to the ER He then said if he does, they will immediately put him on a ventilator. Dr. said they will not exam him first to check his lungs. Dr. said if you don't want to be on a ventilator do not come to the ER.

Relative told the doctor he just wants a doctor, in a doctor's office (not the ER), to check his lungs because relative can hear and feel something in his lungs. Doctor said Kaiser will not see any patients in offices. It's ER or nothing. Then of course, he tried to give relative antibiotics for, what doctor said, is viral pneumonia. Relative asked why doctor would prescribe and give him antibiotics if antibiotics are used for bacterial infections. Dr. said that's what he recommends.

Relative kept telling doctor he only wants to be seen by a doctor to exam his lungs. Doctor said no.

It's interesting that other hospital told relative to come to ER and they will exam him. He asked the person if they will immediately put him on a ventilator and was told, "Of course not."

Shame on Kaiser. Medical care delayed, in this circumstance, is medical care denied.

Relative said Kaiser has modified its online system to prevent patients from emailing or contacting their regular doctor.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Call ahead please, don’t come in and infect everyone. Call and they tell you where to go in.
Kaiser did tell him where to go, which is to not come in. Doctor said they have closed all doctors' offices and will not see any patients. He was threatened that if he went to ER, they would put him on a ventilator immediately. No exam of his lungs.

The doctor kept repeating to relative to not come to the ER. Antibiotics or nothing. That's all doctor/Kaiser offered him.

It's criminal.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
How could he possibly not fit the criteria?
Exactly. My relative can not talk without coughing and had confirmed exposure to a Covid-19, which he told the doctor.

He has been sick for at least 10 days.

I think it's Kaiser's way of saving money and denying health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento