U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 10:59 AM

10 posts, read 4,366 times

Advertisements

Hi, is it a good time to buy a new construction home right now? I have my eye on Lennar new homes in Rancho Cordova. They are around 400k-450k. Is Rancho Cordova a good area to buy? We have been looking for a while now. Our current rent lease ends towards end of October. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 02:45 PM

288 posts, read 258,101 times
not directly answering your question, But I want to add and make sure you know, with Lennar homes, they have little to no options. You basically take what they give you. The only real options you can change is flooring/counter/backsplash. It may vary from region/community but for the most part that is all you can change.

So if you are picky and were expecting to do a lot of options, even things such as adding more outlets, or adding cat5/6 data or coax wire in other areas. NOPE. just be aware of that

Old 04-15-2020, 05:18 PM

13,837 posts, read 24,457,612 times
I lived in the Anatolia area of Rancho Cordova and eventually moved because we didn't care for the area.

Rancho Cordova gets you "more house for the money" but there is a reason for that. Drive down Sunrise or Fitzgerald and see the vast number of junk yards, and the county dump off of Grant Line Rd. We found that many homeowners didn't do a good job of maintaining their homes, that landscaping became shoddy and that the surcharge for property tax was pretty high for what you received.

I'd find Folsom, Elk Grove, Roseville or even Natomas to be better options for a new house myself.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I lived in the Anatolia area of Rancho Cordova and eventually moved because we didn't care for the area.

Rancho Cordova gets you "more house for the money" but there is a reason for that. Drive down Sunrise or Fitzgerald and see the vast number of junk yards, and the county dump off of Grant Line Rd. We found that many homeowners didn't do a good job of maintaining their homes, that landscaping became shoddy and that the surcharge for property tax was pretty high for what you received.

I'd find Folsom, Elk Grove, Roseville or even Natomas to be better options for a new house myself.
Ive driven through sunrise and fitzgerald and it didnt look too bad on the eyes. A lot of the street there is tree lined so it covers a lot of the junk and the other buildings seem kept up well and look like business centers rather than industrial. I'm just saying it could be a lot worse and ive seen a lot worse.

As for the landscaping, that is a tough one because with no HOA it's hard to tell how new communities will be until a few years after. Ive also been around new neighborhoods in elk grove that was already starting to show the type of people who lived there with no HOA as the landscaping became shoddy or they overdid it and just didndt match the uniformity of the neighborhood.

The property taxes (mella roos) is inevitable for all new homes/communities. Depending on your situation you will find its to your advantage or disadvantages. If you have kids, it goes towards parks and building new schools. If not generally youll see it pays for the street landscaping and maintenance at times I believe--varies depending on the mella roos/community.

Rancho seems like the most affordable option for those wanting to live in new home suburban living. The other places you mentioned are significantly more for the same size house. And each one can pose the same issues with mella roos (taxes) and uncertainty of how the neighbors living will maintain their new home in the long run. Of course there is that unspoken controversial assumption that if you live in a more expensive neighborhood the people there have more sense to maintain things--but i wont go further than that.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:23 PM

1,291 posts, read 744,016 times
Don't know of any other new construction in the county where you can get a 3500 square foot home for just north of the mid 500K. You'll spend about 150k-200k in other areas. Most new areas have smaller homes to begin with.
Pros:
South of Douglas Road you'll have:
Access to high performing schools
There's steady growth. One shopping center serves the community and another planned and ready for development
Low crime
Fairly good access to Highway 16 and US 50.
Plenty of new parks including a large regional park

Cons:
Rendering plant smell on occasion. Some people say it's a big deal others say it's not
I say if you're sensitive to smells, even if infrequent, don't buy.
Mello Roos. It's true most new communities these days have them and no exception here
Shopping and entertainment is limited in Rancho.
Then there's the rest of Rancho. It's improved since incorporation of the city and is well managed financially but there's not much you can do with the older parts of town. It's full of modest housing, apartments and lacks charm.

What about landscaping yards etc?
A cut above what you'd expect in much of Sacramento County. Most people take care of their yards some don't But, as one poster put it, "I've seen a lot worse." That's a fair assessment.
Pics are several years old but same overall look. I think the newer areas are ez on the eyes and have held up well but it's all subjective...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/sacr...o-cordova.html

Old 04-16-2020, 09:24 AM

10 posts, read 4,366 times
Thank you everyone for the info! The current Mello-Roos tax is $327 per month for the new construction we looked at. That is a lot per month. We are now considering maybe a new construction in Roseville or Rocklin. I know prices are very cheap in Rancho but that monthly tax does not seem good. Is this a good time to buy a house?

Old 04-16-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukid206 View Post
Thank you everyone for the info! The current Mello-Roos tax is $327 per month for the new construction we looked at. That is a lot per month. We are now considering maybe a new construction in Roseville or Rocklin. I know prices are very cheap in Rancho but that monthly tax does not seem good. Is this a good time to buy a house?
new construction everywhere has mella roos/CFDs. It varies per community but expect an average of $100-300+ as you saw already in rancho. Surprised its that high over there. Watch out for Rocklin as they will have mella roos and if you are buying in whitney ranch there will be an HOA on top of that. Ive also heard the HOA there is strict that after x amount of time you will be REQUIRED to landscape your backyard or be fined. And they know because they fly drones. A BUILDER told me this personally so im not BS-ing.

Also 3000+ sq ft home in roseville or rocklin from what ive seen will be $100-150K+ more compred to rancho

Old 04-16-2020, 02:13 PM

498 posts, read 161,470 times
Depends where it's at. But I think Rancho is only an ok area. I drive from Elk Grove to Rancho Cordova by the way of Grant Line Rd and later along Sunrise Blvd to my office. My goodness, it stinks. The air is intolerable on Sunrise Blvd from Jackson all the way to town.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:01 PM

656 posts, read 616,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
Ive also heard the HOA there is strict that after x amount of time you will be REQUIRED to landscape your backyard or be fined. And they know because they fly drones. A BUILDER told me this personally so im not BS-ing.

The existence of HOAs as a whole are already FAR over the line of what is decent, respectable and acceptable, but flying drones over your backyard to keep tabs on something that can't even be seen from the street or even a one story house? That's beyond heinous. There has to be some law that applies to that.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
The existence of HOAs as a whole are already FAR over the line of what is decent, respectable and acceptable, but flying drones over your backyard to keep tabs on something that can't even be seen from the street or even a one story house? That's beyond heinous. There has to be some law that applies to that.
yea i didnt ask further than that, but it was one of the builders that build in Whitney Ranch in rocklin who i heard it from.

I believe the HOA over there is $80-125 depending on what part of the area you live in--the gated portions are $125, and the non-gated is $80. It pays for that whitney ranch community building amenities with pool. Then add the mella-roos which is another $100-150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or