U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 09:25 AM

8 posts, read 1,928 times

Advertisements

Now that I’ve narrowed down where I would like to buy, I’m asking about utilities in the specific area. I will be looking to be on 5 acres with a 2000sq ft house. If not already equipped, I would like to add solar.

How about the rest of the utilities? I’ve read propane gets pricey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 03:46 PM

3,716 posts, read 8,735,622 times
I do recommend solar as PG&E Electricity is very expensive.

Propane can be expensive. I think the best way to handle it is having your own tank, so you can price compare and get better rates from the propane company vs. being tied in to 1 vendor on the leased tank. You will also save about 50% if you fill up in August rather than the middle of the winter. We are in Rescue and recently bought solar and now run everything on electric except the propane fireplace so we don't fill it often.

Water is typically on a well if you're on 5 acres but not always. EID is also expensive if you're on public water. You will likely be on septic so at least you won't have to pay for that.

Depending on your location, internet service can be problematic. Some people have access to the ATT 5G towers which is high speed and cheap. Many rural households use cal.net and they are crap, but the best we can get.

Where are you looking? I show these properties all the time, I might have seen a few of them.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I do recommend solar as PG&E Electricity is very expensive.

Propane can be expensive. I think the best way to handle it is having your own tank, so you can price compare and get better rates from the propane company vs. being tied in to 1 vendor on the leased tank. You will also save about 50% if you fill up in August rather than the middle of the winter. We are in Rescue and recently bought solar and now run everything on electric except the propane fireplace so we don't fill it often.

Water is typically on a well if you're on 5 acres but not always. EID is also expensive if you're on public water. You will likely be on septic so at least you won't have to pay for that.

Depending on your location, internet service can be problematic. Some people have access to the ATT 5G towers which is high speed and cheap. Many rural households use cal.net and they are crap, but the best we can get.

Where are you looking? I show these properties all the time, I might have seen a few of them.

Browsing right now as we won’t be moving until next year. Just trying to educate ourselves on the area as much as possible. For a young family with 3 small kids, we narrowed it to rescue/cameron park. We live in a nice safe city in the Bay Area, so trying to find something nice and safe, just more rural and NOT in the Bay Area anymore lol.

The 2 houses we liked if we were to go now were the one with 3.5 acres on deer valley and the two story that is pending on four springs dr. It seemed like the nicer side of hyw 50??

I got the down low about fire insurance from a realtor up there the other day. Have family in loomis, but they are not super familiar with rescue. I travel to EDH at least once a month to ride mountain bikes, I do like that area, just want a little more room to breathe.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babblewon View Post
Browsing right now as we won’t be moving until next year. Just trying to educate ourselves on the area as much as possible. For a young family with 3 small kids, we narrowed it to rescue/cameron park. We live in a nice safe city in the Bay Area, so trying to find something nice and safe, just more rural and NOT in the Bay Area anymore lol.

The 2 houses we liked if we were to go now were the one with 3.5 acres on deer valley and the two story that is pending on four springs dr. It seemed like the nicer side of hyw 50??

I got the down low about fire insurance from a realtor up there the other day. Have family in loomis, but they are not super familiar with rescue. I travel to EDH at least once a month to ride mountain bikes, I do like that area, just want a little more room to breathe.
The one on Deer Valley is nice, but you will definitely notice the power lines behind the house.

I haven't been tot the one on Four Springs but that's a nice neighborhood as well. Both these homes are north of 50, which some people prefer. But honestly there are some awesome houses/acreage properties south of 50 as well. It just depends on the specific area. EDH also has some acreage properties but hard to find under $700K as most are a lot more expensive. You might also consider Latrobe area south of EDH.

Buyers put a lot of value on the usability of the land or great views (and it's hard to get views on usable land). If it's very sloped, or heavy with trees and brush, the property will be less expensive. For fire, you can ask an insurance agent, or see if you are within 1000 ft of a fire hydrant or 2 miles of a fire station. Fire hydrant map is https://eid.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...06b7aa14629581.

Good luck. We moved from EDH to Rescue 18 months ago. Finally finished a remodel and adding another garage. We love it here and this is our forever home...until we can't walk up the stairs to the bedroom anymore.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:28 PM

Which area seems to be more desirable, north or south of 50? And why? (Crime, store availability etc.)

Old 06-02-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babblewon View Post
Which area seems to be more desirable, north or south of 50? And why? (Crime, store availability etc.)
The majority of shopping/retail is available near 50 and EDH Blvd, and 50 and Cameron Park Blvd. There are some shops and restaurants at the north end of EDH and Cameron Park along Green Valley but not as many.

In EDH most people look north of 50, mostly because south of 50 some of the neighborhoods attend different schools outside EDH. There are also 2 large, 55+ neighborhoods south of 50 which are a huge attraction for those crowds. There is a large business park and not as many trees south of 50. Once you move East a bit, the areas south of 50 in Cameron Park and Shingle Springs are more rural, larger acreage, and a mix of really nice/expensive and older/less expensive. Same goes when you move north of Green Vally, more rural and a mix of prices. Between Green Valley and 50 are the more suburban style homes with various sized lots, mostly .15 - .25 acres with some exceptions. The larger lot homes tend to be above $700K.

For acreage lots, it all depends on the fire insurance, usability (slope and density of trees/brush) and the views that feed into what people like.

In other words, if you start to narrow down on a type home, type property, and budget, there will be a few areas that would really work well. It all just depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or