Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 11:53 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Thanks @2sleepy that is very helpful information. By unincorporated areas of Sacramento county are you referring to places like Fair Oaks and Carmichael? Super wealthy elite gov Newsome lives in Fair Oaks but he has private security most likely.
Yes, Fair Oaks, Carmichael and most of Arden-Arcade. Sacramento snagged up some pieces of unincorporated area where they saw a potential for revenue like Arden Mall, you'd probably want to look at a map or ask a realtor which areas are unincorporated. I'm sure Newsom has security, I think all Governors get security provided by the State. My guess is that in the expensive parts of Fair Oaks there isn't much of a wait for a Sheriff when you call one. Rancho Cordova and Citrus Heights are incorporated, as is Elk Grove and the other areas I mentioned like Roseville, Rocklin and Folsom. There are also some very wealthy neighborhoods in Rancho Cordova that hire off duty Deputies to patrol their neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 11:59 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,955,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Thanks @2sleepy that is very helpful information. By unincorporated areas of Sacramento county are you referring to places like Fair Oaks and Carmichael? Super wealthy elite gov Newsome lives in Fair Oaks but he has private security most likely.
Carmichael is the only unincorporated suburb of Sacramento on the list you are considering.

Fair Oaks was incorporated as its own city in 1988.

Folsom was incorporated in 1946.

Rocklin was incorporated in 1893 according to the internet.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Carmichael is the only unincorporated suburb of Sacramento on the list you are considering.

Fair Oaks was incorporated as its own city in 1988.

Folsom was incorporated in 1946.

Rocklin was incorporated in 1893 according to the internet.
I already said that Rocklin and Folsom are incorporated but Fair Oaks most certainly is NOT incorporated, I think you are thinking about Fair Oaks Ranch Texas which was incorporated in 1988. Here is a map that has diagonal lines through all incorporated areas in the greater Sacramento area.

https://planning.saccounty.net/Docum...t_Zip_0211.pdf

Old 06-29-2020, 12:16 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,955,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I already said that Rocklin and Folsom are incorporated but Fair Oaks most certainly is NOT incorporated, I think you are thinking about Fair Oaks Ranch Texas which was incorporated in 1988. Here is a map that has diagonal lines through all incorporated areas in the greater Sacramento area.

https://planning.saccounty.net/Docum...t_Zip_0211.pdf
I stand corrected. Thank you for your patience.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:25 AM

4,021 posts, read 3,300,207 times
Quote:
If I had it to do over again I would never, ever move to any unincorporated area of Sacramento County. There is virtually no law enforcement, if you have to call 911 it can easily be a 40 minute wait. The Sheriff's Dept doesn't do any routine patrols, only time I see them is when they are at a local pizza place or in line at Dutch Bros. There is zero traffic enforcement, people routinely drive 60 mph on streets like Fair Oaks or El Camino. CHP only seems to respond to injury accidents I've never seen one single car pulled over, a lot of people don't even bother putting license plates on their cars, instead they put those paper plates that they put on the cars at dealerships.

The streets are full of pot holes, there are no street lights in most of the older residential areas so they are pitch black at night and fair pickins for any enterprising thief who happens to wander by. And you have to be real careful walking on major streets because many of them have no sidewalk.

The county is broke from paying off the Sheriff's lawsuits which amount to hundreds of millions of dollars, then on top of that the Board of Supervisors lost a lawsuit brought by two gravel companies who were forced out of business by supervisors who were trying to aid Teichert construction, that lawsuit cost 107 million. The Supervisors are bought and paid for either by developers or law enforcement. Move to Rocklin, Roseville, Folsom, Sac City, West Sac or anywhere other than an unincorporated areas in the County.
I have lived in the past in Arden Park, right now I live in Willhaggen Del Dayo, which includes parts of Carmichael. I really liked both neighborhoods.

https://www.wilhagginna.com/patrol-map/

The Sherrif's training academy is in the area so there are cops driving through the area at all hours of the day.

https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org...yTraining.aspx

Id agree the streets could be repaved, but both of the neighborhoods I have lived in were in the unincorporated parts of the county and I really have no reservations recommending these neighborhoods to others.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I have lived in the past in Arden Park, right now I live in Willhaggen Del Dayo, which includes parts of Carmichael. I really liked both neighborhoods.

https://www.wilhagginna.com/patrol-map/

The Sherrif's training academy is in the area so there are cops driving through the area at all hours of the day.

https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org...yTraining.aspx

Id agree the streets could be repaved, but both of the neighborhoods I have lived in were in the unincorporated parts of the county and I really have no reservations recommending these neighborhoods to others.
You've lived in two of the most toney areas of Sac County. I'm not a bit surprised that you would see cops there, you probably didn't have many homeless people going through your either. Arden-Park is extra super special safe because they hire off-duty deputies to keep them out of harms way.

However if Mixxalot buys a house in Garden of the Gods or Del Paso Manor or any one of a number of "okay" neighborhoods in unincorporated Sac County with houses under 500k he will find his experience to be more like what I described. Can you live in unincorporated Sac County without getting mugged or hit by a car? Of course- I've been doing it for 5 years, all I'm saying is that with the leadership we have now you generally have a better quality of life within an incorporated city.

If at some time in the future residents get interested enough in local government and start to vote for supervisors who are interested in serving their constituents rather than their campaign donors and if we elect a sheriff who holds his deputies accountable and doesn't try to cover up incidents that might put the department in a bad light, then living in unincorporated Sac County might be a different experience.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:40 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,258,677 times
A few more thoughts, sorry this turned out to be so long-winded, lol.

I like Folsom the most but it is just too far from Sacramento(downtown-midtown). Roseville-Rocklin is even more disconnected to downtown-midtown but at least Folsom is connected by Light Rail. But Fair Oaks is still significantly closer to downtown-midtown than Folsom.

I like downtown-midtown because it offers "the most dense organic urban walking-dining-shopping experience in the Sac Metro". It is as urban as Sacramento gets, and provides an experience you just can't get in places like San Jose or Fresno. Even LA doesn't exactly have the same Sac downtown-midtown experience. Sacramento downtown-midtown is unique; it is an urban experience but on a very livable, amenable scale you just can't get anywhere else in California. The other walkable-dense-urban places in California such as San Francisco and certain areas of LA are on a much larger scale, either too compact, too urban as SF, or too massive, intense, and crowded as LA.

Actually, Berkeley and Oakland and Sacramento's downtown-midtown are the most alike in terms of scale, walkability, and urbanity. Politically, that's a different story.

However;
the Riots and Covid-19 has destroyed much of the attributes of the downtown-midtown experience. Those shops/business/homes/restaurants are the most vulnerable to riots and the restrictions imposed upon us by Covid-19. I used to work downtown and loved it, now I work from home, no reason to be downtown. No reason to dine-shop downtown-midtown anymore either. We've gone down there just to walk the streets and it is not the same anymore with no dinning, bars, shops etc, and I don't think it will every be the same. I hope I am dead wrong about that, I hope it fully recovers and goes back to the way it was, but maybe this will bring down housing costs in the downtown-midtown. It seems the flight back to the Sacramento suburbs has begun, sadly, but even I've rediscovered the attributes of the suburbs.

1. Fair Oaks
2. SE Carmichael
3. Folsom
4. Roseville
5. Rocklin

I like being near the American River and Folsom Lake, so that's why Fair Oaks, Carmichael, and Folsom are higher on the list than Roseville-Rocklin.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:01 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,300,207 times
Quote:
You've lived in two of the most toney areas of Sac County. I'm not a bit surprised that you would see cops there, you probably didn't have many homeless people going through your either. Arden-Park is extra super special safe because they hire off-duty deputies to keep them out of harms way.

However if Mixxalot buys a house in Garden of the Gods or Del Paso Manor or any one of a number of "okay" neighborhoods in unincorporated Sac County with houses under 500k he will find his experience to be more like what I described. Can you live in unincorporated Sac County without getting mugged or hit by a car? Of course- I've been doing it for 5 years, all I'm saying is that with the leadership we have now you generally have a better quality of life within an incorporated city.

If at some time in the future residents get interested enough in local government and start to vote for supervisors who are interested in serving their constituents rather than their campaign donors and if we elect a sheriff who holds his deputies accountable and doesn't try to cover up incidents that might put the department in a bad light, then living in unincorporated Sac County might be a different experience.
Arden Oaks is the toniest area in Arden Arcade. Del Paso Manor is immediately north of the neighborhood separated only by Maryal Drive and Ione Streets. Garden of the Gods is immediately to East of Arden Oaks separated only by Eastern Avenue. Its also kitty corner from Arden Park and across the street from Arden Park Vista. But housing in these neighborhoods are in Mixxalots budget.

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...ade/Arden-Oaks

I agree that there are homeless issues in parts of the unincorporated parts of Sacramento County but that is generally more acute as you get closer to the Arden Fair Mall and mostly west of Watt Avenue. At the Carmichael library, that does attract some homeless and again on Fair Oaks Bllvd, there are some homeless drawn to the bathrooms near the Carmichael Park.

But there are homeless people now in Folsom especially (Lembi Park) and Roseville too and even more within the City of Sacramento or anywhere within walking distance of light rail. But I think some of that is that the homeless get monthly rt passes with their SSI and then ride the trains to beat the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter and they are a relatively safe for them to sleep.

Lastly is there local government in this area that isn't ran by political donors? Can you name a local government where Angelo Tsakopoulos doesn't have a lot more clout than I do? I can't think of any.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Arden Oaks is the toniest area in Arden Arcade. Del Paso Manor is immediately north of the neighborhood separated only by Maryal Drive and Ione Streets. Garden of the Gods is immediately to East of Arden Oaks separated only by Eastern Avenue. Its also kitty corner from Arden Park and across the street from Arden Park Vista. But housing in these neighborhoods are in Mixxalots budget.

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...ade/Arden-Oaks

I agree that there are homeless issues in parts of the unincorporated parts of Sacramento County but that is generally more acute as you get closer to the Arden Fair Mall and mostly west of Watt Avenue. At the Carmichael library, that does attract some homeless and again on Fair Oaks Bllvd, there are some homeless drawn to the bathrooms near the Carmichael Park.

But there are homeless people now in Folsom especially (Lembi Park) and Roseville too and even more within the City of Sacramento or anywhere within walking distance of light rail. But I think some of that is that the homeless get monthly rt passes with their SSI and then ride the trains to beat the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter and they are a relatively safe for them to sleep.

Lastly is there local government in this area that isn't ran by political donors? Can you name a local government where Angelo Tsakopoulos doesn't have a lot more clout than I do? I can't think of any.
Here's the difference as I see it. In a City a Mayor and City Council are the defacto government, the equivalent in a county is a board of supervisors. Folsom has 5 supervisors and a population of about 80,000, so each supervisor has about 16,000 constituents. If those constituents are dissatisfied they have a much better chance of having their voice heard than in the County where each of the four supervisors represents around 388,000 people.

How do I know this? I've lived in Cities with a population similar to Folsom and I know how easy it is to be a squeaky wheel and how quickly a supervisor will pay attention when just a small number of people bring an issue to their attention. Sac County supervisors don't know their constituents and there's not even any good way to get their attention so they are in a much better position to do things that are completely contrary to the desires of the community and get away with it, even getting re-elected when the community doesn't support them but because of huge campaign cash they can get from builders, developers and law enforcement which can easily dissuade anyone without that kind of money from running against them.

As far as where the homeless people are..of course they are everywhere I don't disagree with you. But in Folsom or Roseville you can ask a cop to keep an eye out on trash day for homeless people dumping cans out in yards in order to go through them. In the unincorporated areas of Sacramento you can report them to the black hole commonly known as 311 (where all complaints go to die) And if you call the sheriff about something that 'trivial' they will tell you to call 311, so unless you just got stabbed save yourself some time and report everything to 311.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:24 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,513 times
Folsom or Rocklin/Loomis/Lincoln would be my top choices. I will see what long term telework situation is for State workers after COVID 19 ends. Most likely 50% telework so that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento