Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 636 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am in search of some answers regarding rules about fence heights and dogs. I have a 5 year old pit bull/boxer mix that is both an inside and outside dog. We leave the front door open during the day when its nice out for him to come in and out as he pleases. Our front yard is completely fenced in with a 4 foot fence all the way around. The part of the fence lining the sidewalk is where my pup likes to jump up and put his paws on the fence when he sees people and other dogs. He has never attempted to jump the fence, but some people are afraid when they walk by because he is a larger dog, his breed, and he barks very loud. He has never bitten anyone, nor would he unless he felt he had to defend himself, and the people that stop to get to know him know he is harmless. I will say in a sense we are glad people are intimidated/afraid of him due to the area we live in. I live in Del Paso Heights with my husband and father in law who is 87. My husband and I are also wheelchair bound. His intimidation gives us a bit of added security. So I guess my question is, am I doing anything wrong by allowing him to run freely in my yard while having him enclosed by a 4ft fence? A woman asked me tonight if it was legal to have such a short fence with such a big dog, and I dont want any problems with Animal Control. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 10:00 PM

83 posts, read 32,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Bryant1785 View Post
Hello, I am in search of some answers regarding rules about fence heights and dogs. I have a 5 year old pit bull/boxer mix that is both an inside and outside dog. We leave the front door open during the day when its nice out for him to come in and out as he pleases. Our front yard is completely fenced in with a 4 foot fence all the way around. The part of the fence lining the sidewalk is where my pup likes to jump up and put his paws on the fence when he sees people and other dogs. He has never attempted to jump the fence, but some people are afraid when they walk by because he is a larger dog, his breed, and he barks very loud. He has never bitten anyone, nor would he unless he felt he had to defend himself, and the people that stop to get to know him know he is harmless. I will say in a sense we are glad people are intimidated/afraid of him due to the area we live in. I live in Del Paso Heights with my husband and father in law who is 87. My husband and I are also wheelchair bound. His intimidation gives us a bit of added security. So I guess my question is, am I doing anything wrong by allowing him to run freely in my yard while having him enclosed by a 4ft fence? A woman asked me tonight if it was legal to have such a short fence with such a big dog, and I dont want any problems with Animal Control. Thank you
I don’t know about how high dogs can jump, but if your dog bites someone, you could be sued and held liable because you failed to properly control your animal.

You might want to give animal control a call and see if they can tell you what’s expected of you as an owner. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2020, 12:39 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Have you considered training your dog Not to do that?

Old 08-07-2020, 01:25 PM

276 posts, read 364,869 times
In Sacramento, there is a three-foot height limit for anything that may obstruct vision of the street - bushes, fences, etc. Unless the fence is see-through, that may be a problem.

Dogs that are motivated can clear a six-foot fence with ease - I was once attacked in my backyard (which is surrounded by a six-foot fence) by one that was off-leash in a public park. Four feet may not be high enough to ensure that your dog does not does not bite someone.

As for "He has never bitten anyone, nor would he" - that is a dangerous attitude. All dogs, even well-trained ones, will bite given the right circumstances.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:43 PM

562 posts, read 677,085 times
They have to look online at the dog laws in their city or call their court house. Some cities ban certain aggressive breeds like pit bulls entirely and put them down. They have a half pit bull and half boxer. Boxers are also in the top ten most dangerous dogs list in some cities. I didn't know that. Cities also have different laws for annoyance barking. Recently, I learned about a 30 minute barking law they have in another city. Your dog cannot bark for longer than 30 minutes or you will get fined. I would worry more about my pup getting harmed tbh. I would be thinking about keeping my pup on a long lead in the yard behind some other type of non-see through barrier or something, and/or with a muzzle on, if my city banned my pet until I could move to another place. The law here in my town for pit bulls is a quarter of a million dollar insurance policy plus an 8 ft. high fence, or a lower fence with an enclosed covering over the dog. Can they build an enclosed covering over the area in the yard where their dog goes? Not sure if dog laws are enforced in the same way for dangerous half-breeds and cross-breeds also.

Last edited by glenninindy; 08-07-2020 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-07-2020, 07:23 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Did you call the City of Sacramento's 311 number? I am not sure if Animal Control or code enforcement would know what the height requirements are for a home with a dog. But I think the 311 number should direct you in the right direction.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:46 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
In Sacramento, there is a three-foot height limit for anything that may obstruct vision of the street - bushes, fences, etc. Unless the fence is see-through, that may be a problem.

Dogs that are motivated can clear a six-foot fence with ease - I was once attacked in my backyard (which is surrounded by a six-foot fence) by one that was off-leash in a public park. Four feet may not be high enough to ensure that your dog does not does not bite someone.

As for "He has never bitten anyone, nor would he" - that is a dangerous attitude. All dogs, even well-trained ones, will bite given the right circumstances.
Don't most of the streets there have sidewalks? The only time that law usually is enforced is if a fence is built on a corner house real close to the curb.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:52 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Is the backyard fenced separately? If so I would keep him there. My concern would be someone teasing or taunting the dog, since he's already excited from barking, it's not inconceivable that he would breach the fence and go after them. Animal Control in Sac County is very lax, if they got a complaint they would probably go out and talk to you rather than cite you https://animalcare.saccounty.net/Ani...omplaints.aspx

Old 08-08-2020, 12:04 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,382,850 times
You are putting yourself at a high liability should something bad happen. I would not let your dog loose in the front yard like that with a 4 ft fence. He might be able to get out and it would be bad.

Your home insurance could get canceled, you might have to spend thousands of dollars in lawsuit defense, etc.

Any dog can bite anyone because they are animals, not human. I would not have such a lax attitude if I were you.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:04 AM

276 posts, read 364,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Don't most of the streets there have sidewalks? The only time that law usually is enforced is if a fence is built on a corner house real close to the curb.

They will also enforce it if it is near a driveway, if there has been a complaint, or if there has been an accident. If code enforcement is called out for one thing, they will scan for other violations. Enforcement is spotty which is why I said it "may" be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento