Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 10:47 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Well, 90F in California is actually quite pleasant, given how dry it is. Even up to 100F isn't terrible, as long as you have AC in your home. Its completely different than back east with the humidity.

I once was in Miami in July where it was the low 90s as a high and was quite miserable. A couple weeks later, I was in Las Vegas during a heat wave, when it was 114. While that was a bit too hot, it actually felt more tolerable vs Miami.
We live in Sac County and our property is almost completely shaded by trees, including a 100' tall redwood. It's almost always comfortable in our backyard. And it's wonderful in the evening with the delta breeze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 02:46 PM

590 posts, read 931,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We live in Sac County and our property is almost completely shaded by trees, including a 100' tall redwood. It's almost always comfortable in our backyard. And it's wonderful in the evening with the delta breeze
Depending on where you are in the county the delta breeze can make a big difference. I have friends who live on La Riviera and their area cools off so much more than my area in Citrus Heights/ Roseville. Last night I was working outside at 9pm and was drenched in sweat. My dad down in the pocket had his doors open and AC off. Go figure.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:44 PM

572 posts, read 599,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Once I have the go ahead to work remote permanent, I would leave California and buy a place in a non commie state like Idaho or South Dakota for 100k cash and be done with it. Then no need for masks no leftist commies no need for forced vaccinations and micro chip agenda coming. Lower taxes. More gun law freedom to protect one's home.
That would be pretty classic for someone who hates California but who is employed by the state of California to move away to a different state with lower cost of living and still remain employed by the state of California making California money but not paying any money into the California economy.

I mean... it's totally possible this could be a reality!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
That would be pretty classic for someone who hates California but who is employed by the state of California to move away to a different state with lower cost of living and still remain employed by the state of California making California money but not paying any money into the California economy.

Sometimes you get taxed twice by doing that https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/30/here...rmanently.html

Old 08-09-2020, 09:28 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:

The State of Cal would tax the salary even if you didn't live in the State of Cal.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:30 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,569,509 times
True but real estate would be less than rent :-)

Old 08-10-2020, 12:47 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:

I wonder how employee benefits would work. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that PERS uses the buying power of all of the State employees to negotiate cheaper rates in California for health care in California. But a state employee out of state would have no such buying power helping them on rates. S I am wondering how that works out.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I wonder how employee benefits would work. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that PERS uses the buying power of all of the State employees to negotiate cheaper rates in California for health care in California. But a state employee out of state would have no such buying power helping them on rates. S I am wondering how that works out.
Good question and I don't have an answer! For retirees they offer one out of state health plan, I only know that because I have a PERS pension and lived in Nevada for several years after I retired, but I don't know if they offer an out of state plan for active employees.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
True but real estate would be less than rent :-)
Be careful with this, I don't think your employer will give you any kind of promise that you can do remote work until you retire, and if you don't have a guarantee like that you might just finish unpacking be told you will start working in the office next week. Houses in these other states are cheap for a reason, people aren't willing to pay more for them, which most likely means they won't appreciate much in the future- it's something to keep in mind if you are required to move back to California, there's a chance you will lose money on that house if you have to sell it quick.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:23 PM

209 posts, read 201,317 times
I concur with others. As a state employee myself, I am cautious where I live as we can be forced back into the office early next year if the Governor re-opens the state after elections in November. Looking at real estate myself, I want to be fairly close for a 30 minute commute either by car, light rail, or bus. Traffic has returned to normal based on cruising around town lately. The commute from Roseville/Rocklin/Lincoln on 80 would be brutal unless you only need to do it once a week. Keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento