Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 11:32 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,570,303 times

Advertisements

Rich kids with stock money from bay area have more money than brains and can work remote. If you have Facebook Amazon Google money overpaying by 100k is not that difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 11:34 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
That's been the running joke about Sacramento forever. What's there to do in Sacramento? Well, you've got Lake Tahoe and San Francisco.
That is an old tired cliche.

You would have to be a hermit to not know about all the many things to do in right here in Sacramento (pre-Covid).

Having Tahoe/Sierras, the Coast, the Gold Country foothills(Amador, Placer El Dorado Counties), Napa and Sonoma Counties, and the Bay Area nearby are all just added bonuses.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:05 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
That's been the running joke about Sacramento forever. What's there to do in Sacramento? Well, you've got Lake Tahoe and San Francisco.
I've lived in the Houston metro for over 10 years, but I'm a Bay Area native who lived in the Bay Area for close to 40 years, but also lived in a beach city in LA/OC, in Nevada (Incline Village), and in Mammoth Lakes, for almost 10 years in all (most of that in the beach city). I've spent a fair amount of time in the Sacramento area, from the 1960's until today and, for me, there would also be enough to do locally (in the Sacramento metro). If someone banned me from the coast and from the Bay Area (told me I was banned from going west of West Sac ), I could live with that. Not being able to go to Tahoe...that would be a problem.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Who woulda thought?
Soooo...what’s gonna happen? A bunch of people are gonna rush to Sac town and what....? What exactly does everyone think is gonna happen? Lived happily ever after? Yup......you guessed it. Demand goes up....House prices are gonna go up. Rents are gonna go up, utilities and all other expenses are gonna go up, if you buy now just ride the equity train.

I’m not sure why you guys working remote are going to think when the companies you work for start lowering your pay due to remote work. Pay structures can eventually be revised based on where you live. And if you think it can’t happen? Watch them.....I mean what are you gonna do...quit....get another job in Little Town?

I’m also not sure what you’re all gonna think when those really cool places are gonna be flooded with people all looking for the same thing you are. Which is gonna make costs go up. Right now “working from home “ works because it’s the only way to get work done right now.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:09 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Rich kids with stock money from bay area have more money than brains and can work remote. If you have Facebook Amazon Google money overpaying by 100k is not that difficult.
If housing prices are going up in Sacramento and rents are falling in SF, there is a point where prices will have equilibrated enough where people will stop moving from the Bay Area to Sacramento.

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/sl...ent-204756.php

Second we don't know what the true vacancy rate is in Sacramento. Right now the covid eviction moratorium was put in place when unemployment in Sacramento was closer to 4% than 14%. When the employment rates were strong, the vacancy rates were low. But there is a lot of people here living in an apartment that they can't afford to pay rent on because say they work at a gym that is closed. If and when those people are evicted, the vacancy rate in Sacramento will shoot up and rents will plunge. I am a little curious what happens to the landlords who need the rent money from their tenants to pay the mortgage payments on their rentals. We also don't know what the true number of nonperforming loans the banks are currently carrying on the books. When the banks are forced to start writing those loans off, that is when we will start seeing the foreclosures and I could see that driving the local housing market downward.

Third the State of California drives the local economy. The unemployment rate has been high enough were sales taxes and personal and corporate income taxes are going to be down a lot. Historically this has meant hiring freezes, furloughs and no cost of living adjustments for state employees. We haven't really seen that yet so I am wondering how long the State can keep spending money it doesn't have coming in. When that occurs I think its going to hit (I am guessing next year) I think that is going to put downward pressure on local housing prices.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Once I have the go ahead to work remote permanent, I would leave California and buy a place in a non commie state like Idaho or South Dakota for 100k cash and be done with it. Then no need for masks no leftist commies no need for forced vaccinations and micro chip agenda coming. Lower taxes. More gun law freedom to protect one's home.
I happen to love Sac and that part of the state, but, like you, the state isn't what it used to me: It has gone so far left it is unbelievable.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
These polls always amaze me, but I take them with a grain of salt. They are only as valid as the day they were taken and usually are slanted. They are great for bragging rights though. Most would be surprised how many studies put little ole NWA among the best places to live, to retire, to start a new business etc. We all know they are useless but oh how we enjoy seeing publication that give us a positive report.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:24 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
I spent years traveling to the midwest, mountain states like Idaho, Utah, Colorado and so forth. The cold was actually way worse in upper state New York. I remember how bone chilling cold it was that year in Ithica, NY and taught a class there in January.
Oh, I agree. It's scary cold up there in Northern New York and New England. As expected, it's worse by the water. There's a lot of water, too.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:29 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,917 times
No way. Way too hot in summer. We only see 90 for a week every year. Sacramento sees 90+ for 2 straight months. There is no way I could see such hot weather as being pleasant. I’ll stay up north. Even if winter is bad, I get to enjoy a nice summer with a small stretch of 90 F days. Also, our winters are warming up as time goes on so in hindsight it might be a good thing. California is freakishly hot at sea level away from the coast.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:45 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Soooo...what’s gonna happen? A bunch of people are gonna rush to Sac town and what....? What exactly does everyone think is gonna happen? Lived happily ever after? Yup......you guessed it. Demand goes up....House prices are gonna go up. Rents are gonna go up, utilities and all other expenses are gonna go up, if you buy now just ride the equity train.

I’m not sure why you guys working remote are going to think when the companies you work for start lowering your pay due to remote work. Pay structures can eventually be revised based on where you live. And if you think it can’t happen? Watch them.....I mean what are you gonna do...quit....get another job in Little Town?

I’m also not sure what you’re all gonna think when those really cool places are gonna be flooded with people all looking for the same thing you are. Which is gonna make costs go up. Right now “working from home “ works because it’s the only way to get work done right now.
I'm not sure how you got all that out of this comment
Quote:
Who woulda thought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento