Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 11:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
True but I'd know for damn sure that I am not returning to the office before moving that far away! Tech workers will have a fun time as soon as this scamdemic ends and have a nasty commute.
I really, really hope you get to move to South Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 12:02 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacguy71 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new here and been renting in Sacramento for the past 2 years in downtown. Work in state government and been working remote since March and COVID. Want to buy a place. Budget is under 600k. Want a pool and 3-4 bedrooms. Since no state agency has a time to return to offices in the IT field and where I work, it opens new possible options other than downtown, east Sac and the Land Park/Curtis Park/Pocket areas. I checked out new construction but did not care for the zero yard concept and high Mello Roos/HOA fees. Plus club houses closed until COVID ends and I want a private pool. Thoughts? I looked at some nice places in Folsom and Fair Oaks but they sold in less than a few days! I would buy farther away like in Roseville/Rocklin/Loomis areas but with uncertain status of whether we will return to offices next year, it poses a dilemma. Even my boss does not know.
Genuinely interested in what you find.

Won't your prop tax on a house that you buy for 599K be about the same or more than a new construction for 400k with prop tax and Mello Roos?

Some HOA communities in the Sac region have low dues. So I wouldn't let that be too concerning. I personally like HOAs. Honestly the region's neighborhoods would benefit from having more HOAs because so many neighborhoods in the region have homeowners who just don't care about their house let alone the neighborhood. Fair Oaks, for example, has mansions next to run down homes. Strange, just strange.

Folsom is the exception. The neighborhoods look uniformly well kept.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:36 AM

209 posts, read 201,256 times
Thanks, and I see price reductions starting to take effect finally. Also, some homes that I saw went pending but must have fallen out of escrow for some unknown reason perhaps lack of funding, etc? Anyways, we have a brutal heat wave so I won't be touring homes until the heat wave ends.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:11 AM

119 posts, read 45,919 times
Quote:
True- but you need at least 2 million bucks to buy a place in Granite Bay. My cousin used to own a large home there and he is loaded. Unfortunately, I am not. I do like the new shopping feel of Folsom and Roseville areas better than the old falling apart retail scene of Sacramento.
most of my Indian coworkers live in Granite Bay. They're the only ones who can afford it, since they're the only ones getting the good jobs and promotions. But then, that's another thread.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:40 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
True- but you need at least 2 million bucks to buy a place in Granite Bay. My cousin used to own a large home there and he is loaded. Unfortunately, I am not. I do like the new shopping feel of Folsom and Roseville areas better than the old falling apart retail scene of Sacramento.
No you don't need 2 million to buy a place in Granite Bay!

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Granite-Ba.../home/19556159

There are several properties for sale in Granite Bay for less than a million, let alone two million

Old 09-06-2020, 05:57 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
I live in Folsom, and the prison is really a nonissue.
People who live nearby can sometimes hear the shooting range (and frequently reported in Folsom Facebook groups), which can be a little unsettling if your anti-gun or just not used to it. There are sometimes escapes also, but it’s not ax murders or anything like that. We hear the he,I opted saying, “stay inside, lock your doors.” And then the guy is caught (also reported in the Facebook groups)

Another good thing about Folsom vs Rocklin/Roseville, is that light rail goes all the way into downtown. I’ve got family that do the daily grind commute, one does light rail, one drives. The each have their plus & minuses. I’m so glad I’m a regular WFH employee (pre-Covid).

The other fantastic thing about Folsom is the multiple all purpose trails through the neighborhoods, and out around the American River Parkway, Lake Natoma & south through downtown or the trails around Folsom Lake.

Have you checked the S50, Folsom Ranch development? That’s the new development south of 50. If you don’t already have a realtor, and would like someone savvy & loves Folsom to help you, I’d be happy to share the name of the guy I used. Msg me. I was moving in within 3 months of talking to this guy.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:02 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
I forgot to add, Folsom is currently having an issue with pin hole leaks in the copper piping. There are over 1000 homes that have reported leaks, across the city and a wide range of build dates. The city is trying to figure out what is going on, and I think they will be talking about this at the next city meeting Sept 8.

There are lots of news reports on the subject, this is just one.
https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...5-c89cb3735e33

Old 09-06-2020, 08:43 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,569,001 times
Yikes!

Old 09-06-2020, 08:47 PM

119 posts, read 45,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Yikes!
lol, which part?

Old 09-10-2020, 09:20 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,569,001 times
The leaking pipes in Folsom with pinholes in homes new construction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento