U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 598 times

Advertisements

I'm TERRIFIED of spiders...like I can't stand them. If they get away, I avoid that room for a couple days to a week.
But I REALLY miss California... I lived there for about 10 months (one set of 4 months, then one set of 6)... But that place was sprayed regularly for bugs. (It was at a treatment center in Lincoln.)
I wanna go back, but don't think I can afford to spray for bugs...
Are spiders and roaches usually a big problem? How big are these spiders?

I miss the city... I'm from a tiny a** town of 150 people in western IL. I hate it here.

Please don't tell me not to move here of that it isn't for me. That's not what I'm asking! I'm literally just asking these three questions:
1. Are spiders or roaches a big problem?
2. How big do the spiders and roaches get? Are they comparable to Florida or are they smaller/less common?
3. Have you ever heard of tarantulas getting in the apartment? I hate tarantulas... .They're too big and scary! ha (: I never leave doors open, I don't open windows, etc. because I hate bugs so much. I didn't know if they can squeeze in small spaces like a spider can.

Make that 4 questions! Do cats and dogs really help with pest control in your experience? I love animals.. I have a black lab and 3 cats..

Please serious answers only...

I'd be really grateful for any help you have to offer.
Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 03:19 PM

287 posts, read 452,316 times
There are overall less bugs here than the midwest, but as far as spiders go, it feels like there are more spiders here. I grew up in Ohio. Hated the mosquitoes. But in Sac there are fewer mosquitoes (but still some) but more spiders. And other types of bugs.

I haven't seen roaches, but they are in every state. They are really big in LA, but not sure about Sac. Probably if you go downtown you can see big ones on the sidewalk, like you do in downtown LA, or even in NYC.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:27 PM

68,753 posts, read 5,416,665 times
I don't think pets will help with insects or spiders, however, my cat does eat a spider if she sees one. If you are going to rent a place to live, maybe the spraying will be included in the rents. I think it costs less than $100 a month for monthly spraying, if you own & have to pay for it yourself. or you can buy a can with a spray hose attached at Lowes or Home Depot for about $20 & do it yourself. That is what we have, & DH will spray about once a month.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:57 AM

1,562 posts, read 462,080 times
I am in Sacramento. Rocklin is no different for bugs.

I have never seen a cockroach in Sacramento. I am sure they are in restaurants with unsanitary practices, but I have never seen a single cockroach in a home or business, ever.

Spiders are common. I rarely see any spiders in the house but Daddy long legs, and yes you will have them eventually if you don't spray. My house was so well sealed, I never saw more than 2 or 3 ants inside at any one time, despite seeing them outside all the time. And still the Daddy long legs got in. So I don't think you can avoid them without spraying.

Daddy long legs have tiny bodies and long legs, so I would not call them "big" since they are all leg and their legs are like human hair width more or less.

If you rent a nice apartment, they will likely spray for bugs so that could eliminate the spider issue.

There are no tarantulas in the Sacramento area. Maybe if you go to the zoo you will see one in captivity. Nowhere else.

Pets are pretty worthless for controlling spiders. Getting into an apartment that sprays is your best bet. If you are buying a home, you are going to have the occasional daddy long legs in your house and I don't see how to prevent that without a pest control service.

But there are no tarantulas. There are no cockroaches in the vast majority of private homes. I can only imagine where cockroaches would thrive in a Rocklin home it would have to be a really nasty home where peope leave out food for ages, don't clean, don't take out the trash. No normal home or apartment is going to have cockroaches in Rocklin. Maybe slumlord places in a ghetto or something. Nothing normal.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 09-01-2020 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-01-2020, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am in Sacramento. Rocklin is no different for bugs.

I have never seen a cockroach in Sacramento. I am sure they are in restaurants with unsanitary practices, but I have never seen a single cockroach in a home or business, ever.

Spiders are common. I rarely see any spiders in the house but Daddy long legs, and yes you will have them eventually if you don't spray. My house was so well sealed, I never saw more than 2 or 3 ants inside at any one time, despite seeing them outside all the time. And still the Daddy long legs got in. So I don't think you can avoid them without spraying.

Daddy long legs have tiny bodies and long legs, so I would not call them "big" since they are all leg and their legs are like human hair width more or less.

If you rent a nice apartment, they will likely spray for bugs so that could eliminate the spider issue.

There are no tarantulas in the Sacramento area. Maybe if you go to the zoo you will see one in captivity. Nowhere else.

Pets are pretty worthless for controlling spiders. Getting into an apartment that sprays is your best bet. If you are buying a home, you are going to have the occasional daddy long legs in your house and I don't see how to prevent that without a pest control service.

But there are no tarantulas. There are no cockroaches in the vast majority of private homes. I can only imagine where cockroaches would thrive in a Rocklin home it would have to be a really nasty home where peope leave out food for ages, don't clean, don't take out the trash. No normal home or apartment is going to have cockroaches in Rocklin. Maybe slumlord places in a ghetto or something. Nothing normal.
Thank you so much! This is VERY helpful! (:
Daddy long legs don't both me usually - unless I'm half asleep. We have them (we live in the woods).
I was just concerned spiders were the size of you hand with the legs included!

Old 09-01-2020, 02:04 PM

1,562 posts, read 462,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emwynters7 View Post
Thank you so much! This is VERY helpful! (:
Daddy long legs don't both me usually - unless I'm half asleep. We have them (we live in the woods).
I was just concerned spiders were the size of you hand with the legs included!
You welcome. Nope, no big bugs here.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:47 PM

271 posts, read 361,459 times
I have a bug service that comes 4 times a year and I see almost nothing. There is the odd small spider but that's about it. Nothing large and frightening.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:51 AM

121 posts, read 24,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emwynters7 View Post
I'm TERRIFIED of spiders...like I can't stand them. If they get away, I avoid that room for a couple days to a week.
But I REALLY miss California... I lived there for about 10 months (one set of 4 months, then one set of 6)... But that place was sprayed regularly for bugs. (It was at a treatment center in Lincoln.)
I wanna go back, but don't think I can afford to spray for bugs...
Are spiders and roaches usually a big problem? How big are these spiders?

I miss the city... I'm from a tiny a** town of 150 people in western IL. I hate it here.

Please don't tell me not to move here of that it isn't for me. That's not what I'm asking! I'm literally just asking these three questions:
1. Are spiders or roaches a big problem?
2. How big do the spiders and roaches get? Are they comparable to Florida or are they smaller/less common?
3. Have you ever heard of tarantulas getting in the apartment? I hate tarantulas... .They're too big and scary! ha (: I never leave doors open, I don't open windows, etc. because I hate bugs so much. I didn't know if they can squeeze in small spaces like a spider can.

Make that 4 questions! Do cats and dogs really help with pest control in your experience? I love animals.. I have a black lab and 3 cats..

Please serious answers only...

I'd be really grateful for any help you have to offer.
Thanks in advance!
I can relate. You will be pleasantly surprised here. I've lived in the midwest before and trust me, it's much better here in Northern CA as for pests. In fact, I've never once seen a cockroach, and rarely a spider unless it's on my patio area. Occasionally out camping, I will encounter mosquitos during summer (big time in areas near the lakes). We get June Bugs, and the same bees and wasps but not a lot.

I've visited places in IL and really liked some aspects of it, so I think you'll be happy here if you find the right community. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2020, 07:09 PM

5,108 posts, read 8,507,088 times
I’m in Folsom, and the cockroaches arrive every spring, but I have a guy that does monthly spraying so all I ever see are their carcasses. Bugs of all kinds are pretty common, especially in areas with new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento