Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2020, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,531 times

Advertisements

I moved into these apts about 4 or 5 months ago I paid the whole deposit and what was required..I was coming out of a homeless shelter so I was pretty anxious and desperate. Well what happened is that my husband finally got cleared through a program call Housing choice voucher, I guest it used to be called something else section 8. Cleared for these same apt. so I was in the apartment alone for approximately 7 days, I really didn't have a lot of furniture just the basics, after I moved in I found that my kitchen sink was't connected nor was there a pipe i could connect myself or i would have, also there were signs of cockroaches which i asked the manager about before moving in I informed her that I have asthma and this is not safe for me to be around. Anyway needless to say i let the manager know that i would be moving in to the apartment that my husband and myself had been approved for and she was getting a double deposit for the both of us which she requested because our credit sucked at the time, the shelter program we were coming out of helped with all of the move-in cost and deposits for the voucher apt. She said let speak with her boss by the end of that day it was all set. We moved in the next day..I also told her she could keep all of the rent for that month I just wanted the deposit back. She kept putting me off and putting me off about this. Finally 2 weeks later maybe she informed me that my deposit had been moved over to the apartment my husband and myself live in... I reminded her that she had already been paid double deposit for this one and I wanted my money back please...At this point it has been 5 or 6 months maybe even longer,, She has been paid a total of $4300 for a DEPOSIT.. are you kidding me, our rent is $1075..I believe she is not a legal beagle if you know what i mean,,Does anyone have any advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 01:44 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I'd go speak in person to whomever was your casemanager or in charge of the program that got your into the subsidized housing. They will likely have something to say about the apartment manager double dipping. The only other suggestion would be contact FAIR HOUSING in your city. There are laws and rules for this type situation. The problem may be that you've waited 5-6mths to complain.
I would also ask you to decide if the money came from a housing agency....How was it that both you and your husband got deposits and rent....usually it goes one rental per family?? So, be aware, some of what you're saying seems a bit like double dipping on your end too?

Last edited by JanND; 10-11-2020 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 10-11-2020, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,531 times
Thank you for your advise my husband and myself were separated for a couple of weeks right there at the end. and had began marriage counseling so we decided that we can't afford to live separability and we are in therapy spoke it over with our therapist and we agreed to move in together no double dipping, The program we were in was actually for singles however when they found out my husband and I were together they kind of turn blind eye to let me stay with my husband than to be on the street in my car I got the money to help me move in from a loan from my school, that is why I want her to give it back so I can pay them back. FYI..Thank you again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento