U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 11:56 PM

20 posts, read 108,212 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, I know a ton of people who moved from the bay to Sacramento. Thinking of moving to Sacramento too. My mother moved from Palo Alto 6 years ago to Fair Oaks. I live in Portland currently. Thinking about relocating to Sacramento, Houston, or South Carolina. Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:05 AM

33,674 posts, read 58,087,711 times
I loved my time in Sacramento.

Moved from Oakland to Granite Bay, then I sold that house and moved to another house near Eastern and Arden. I moved back to help my family-otherwise I'd still be there.

Sacramento has a lot offer that I never considered before moving there. The food is awesome, the city is strikingly diverse and I enjoyed getting to know the people.

There are lots of hotties too.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,737,611 times
Do y ou like Portland?

I live in Seattle, but I moved here from Sacramento. I adored Sacramento, I'm miserable in Seattle. We are moving back..

Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 AM

3,961 posts, read 8,101,679 times
I had a very good lifestyle when I moved from San Francisco to Fair Oaks. It was a HUGE culture shock however, and it took my a while to get used to the "small town" feel and attitudes. I'm back in the Bay Area now and at times still miss the friendliness, but certainly don't miss the heat! My kids loved it there also!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 AM

20 posts, read 108,212 times
Hi, thanks for the replies. As far as Portland goes. Ughh, not a good time to ask the weather is still grey, in May!!! Housing market is very overpriced, maybe housing is as expensive as Sacramento, 2000 square foot home decent area, good school in the metro area will cost around$325,000-$350,000. The schools are in big trouble here, the economy is not strong at all, never really has been in the 10 years that I have been. And the weather, seriously expect 9 1/2 months of grey skies. The 2 1/2 months of sun is so beautiful, but then same ol story, like a bad rerun. I do have to say that sometimes I have grown found of staying in the home, and listening to the rain. That is what everyone does here, they hibernate. No one owns an umbrella. It is rare when you see one. When the sun comes out the city to me is alive once again. We do get a few beautiful day breaks throughout the year though.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 PM

Okay - your Portland experience is the same as my Seattle experience

Sacramento, is friendlier - no one hibernates - it warm all the time - the fall is amazing , it beats the PNW hands down. I know what you mean about the beautiful summer time - but imagine that from Feb to June, then again from Sept to Nov...there's so much more "outside time" where it's glorious and beautiful

Becareful, I'm like the biggest Cheerleader for Sac.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Oh yeah and this 40 degree weather in May is pissing me off too...WTF??!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 PM

238 posts, read 1,231,291 times
Fairly recent Bay Area transplant here (coming up on a year in July) that moved to Roseville. There is much that I miss about the Bay Area -- especially the food (quality, quantity, and diversity of dining choices) -- but overall I have no regrets. I can deal with the heat -- it's not humid, so finding shade usually provides enough temporary respite from the sun and heat -- and last summer I really enjoyed being able to go for a walk out in the evening in shorts. Granted, most of the reasons we moved here have to do with our kids, so things like schools, community/recreational activities, and the all-important "more house for your dollar" came into play. If we didn't have kids, we likely would have stayed in the Bay Area.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 PM

131 posts, read 481,128 times
I moved to Rocklin (but this goes for Granite Bay, Folsom, El Dorado...). Things I like are:

Houses are 40% of the cost in Bay Area or better for similar, good school district area.

Warm evenings. It could be an 82 degree day in the Bay Area and then cool off to 60 by 7pm when the ocean breeze/fog rolls in.

Close to mountains - skiing and summertime camping/hiking/backpacking.

Sac is a city with a river flowing through it. There's nothing like that in Ca (don't mention Stockton). The river brings recreation, bike paths, people to it's shore.

Traffic. I was worried about posts about traffic in Sac. There is little traffic on the highways here. The definition of traffic is in LA or parts of the Bay Area. Go there to baseline "traffic".

People are friendlier. Strange but true. People wave to me in neighborhoods I drive through. It happens very frequently. I've met all my neighbors.

Generally a good family-raising area. If I were single I would probably not be here. It's quite sleepy otherwise.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 11,363 times
Default Sacramento is a straight up cow town

I have a hard time believing "city girl" is a real city girl. Otherwise she would detest a place like sacramento. It is no where a city and has nothing positive to offer. Only crime, smog, and cows! A true hick town, I would never live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento