Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 11:50 AM

42,717 posts, read 25,874,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Food for thought.

How many homeless people could be helped with that part of the $1.9 TRILLION Covid pork barrel bill going to blue state bail outs?

Yes, the money is printed from thin air but the point is, there is no political will to fix homelessness. I would much rather that $500 billion going to blue state bailouts went to mental illness treatment and drug counseling for the homeless.
So you are claiming that only "blue states" will be getting any money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 02:29 PM

189 posts, read 190,857 times
I can't speak for Sacramento, but here in Los Angeles, the homeless/mentally ill problem is out of control and can be quite unnerving. Having to walk through homeless camps to do basic things like go to the doctor's office or grab a cup of coffee. I don't know what the near term solution is, but as long as these cities show no real desire to deal with the problem, it makes it much more likely that people will choose to live in the suburbs.

Last edited by OUgrad09; 03-10-2021 at 02:51 PM..

Old 03-11-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
I hear the weather in Reno is decent. That's probably the closest you're gonna get to CA weather - so like the eastern edge of Tahoe and then going east a bit, but not too far.
Reno weather is nothing like California weather unless you are comparing Reno to Susanville.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:44 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,687,607 times
The solution is simple but we need a King to do it. Our President and our Governors have the power, to a degree, but anytime they want to accomplish something the other politicians get in the way, and if they don't, the lawyers will.

Kings, in the middle ages, didn't care about solicitors, princes or peons.

#1 Buy or rent land out of the city, 15-20 acres or more.
# 2 Bring in water trucks, portable showers, port-a potties, generators for the charging station, a cell tower and wifi access.
#3 Erect a rudimentary building to provide shelter in bad weather.
# 4 Establish free bus service to the nearest commercial area and run the bus from 6 AM to 10 PM.

Open the gates. Bring in the tents.

#5 Make the homeless residents responsible for their own security - neighborhood watch like.
# 6 Ask the residents to help with digging trenches for permanent water, electric, and sewage.
# 7 Ask the homeless to plant trees for shade, and help building fences with material provided by the city.
# 8 Bring in free materials to build a community hall, community kitchens, refrigerators, permanent showers and bathrooms, tiny homes. Provide plans and advice, but let the homeless do the heavy lifting. People don't appreciate what they get for free. Make them pay for everything with their own labor.

In our part of Northern California I see land advertised in the $ 250-300 K range for 15-30 acres all the time. This land isn't within city limits and any opposition from close neighbors wouldn't happen.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:54 PM

572 posts, read 592,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
The solution is simple but we need a King to do it. Our President and our Governors have the power, to a degree, but anytime they want to accomplish something the other politicians get in the way, and if they don't, the lawyers will.

# 2 Bring in water trucks, portable showers, port-a potties, generators for the charging station, a cell tower and wifi access.
# 4 Establish free bus service to the nearest commercial area and run the bus from 6 AM to 10 PM.

#5 Make the homeless residents responsible for their own security - neighborhood watch like.
# 6 Ask the residents to help with digging trenches for permanent water, electric, and sewage.
# 7 Ask the homeless to plant trees for shade, and help building fences with material provided by the city.
# 8 Bring in free materials to build a community hall, community kitchens, refrigerators, permanent showers and bathrooms, tiny homes. Provide plans and advice, but let the homeless do the heavy lifting. People don't appreciate what they get for free. Make them pay for everything with their own labor.

In our part of Northern California I see land advertised in the $ 250-300 K range for 15-30 acres all the time. This land isn't within city limits and any opposition from close neighbors wouldn't happen.
You ever see that film "District 9"?

Old 04-07-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Camps along the river? As you saw for yourself, there are rows of tent camps downtown, right outside of City Hall. Right on the sidewalk outside city hall. Right outside the police station. There are tents everywhere downtown. I drove around downtown last week just to see how open things were or still boarded up with BLM grafitti.

As far as I can tell, the Sacramento politicians and bureaucrats are actively encouraging homeless people to form tent camps on the downtown sidewalks. All indications are that they welcome an increased homeless presence throughout the city of Sacramento, especially downtown. I would go so far as to say they are coddling homelessness in Sacramento.

They are doing nothing, zero, zilch to either address homelessness or deal with the active presence of the homeless throughout our public areas. Nothing.

What plan? The plan appears to be to expand the homeless presence everywhere. I have no clue if the Sac government people are doing this to appear compassionate or because they have just given up. I can’t tell. It appears as if they have just surrendered the city to the homeless and are letting them live wherever the want to live without any limits.

I am baffled by their encouraging homeless camps everywhere. It it is mind boggling.

Plan? There is no plan. The plan is surrender.

The good news is, they are doing a lot of downtown construction and maintenance. The crews can work less obstructed by workers and shoppers since their is so little traffic or pedestrians.
How are public officials encouraging homeless camps? SCOTUS decided that homeless people have a right to sleep in public places. Every time there's an effort to build shelters or housing for the homeless, well heeled citizens living too close for comfort step in and sue the City.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:

You can't force people to move away from where they are, so the homeless would have to be willing to resettle in these camps and it's unlikely that very many would, I know that if I were homeless I wouldn't move to the outer reaches of Modoc or Inyo county and be stuck there at the mercy of whoever dreamed up the scheme, would you? And you can't impose forced labor on anyone who is not incarcerated.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:57 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,103,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can't force people to move away from where they are, so the homeless would have to be willing to resettle in these camps and it's unlikely that very many would, I know that if I were homeless I wouldn't move to the outer reaches of Modoc or Inyo county and be stuck there at the mercy of whoever dreamed up the scheme, would you? And you can't impose forced labor on anyone who is not incarcerated.
Though true the court ruling stated that:

in the absence of adequate alternatives, criminalizing people experiencing homelessness for sleeping in public constitutes “cruel and unusual punishment” and therefore violates their Eighth Amendment rights.

So now we get into the issue of what constitutes an adequate alternative. Some folks believe that the homeless have a full right to affordable local housing and some folks believe there are other lesser alternatives that could meet that criteria too. I guess eventually we'll have another court case to determine what constitutes an adequate alternative.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:06 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,415,840 times
Quote:

And you've just described the "poor farms" that existed years ago and provided food, shelter and a sense of personal responsibility to the destitute.

They worked fine, until people who thought like 2sleepy announced that "you can't force people to live there" and "you can't impose forced labor" (they were expected to help keep their areas clean and work in the garden to grow their own food)--and the best solution was to end the farms and turn the people out into the streets.

So, full circle.

As long as people state that you can't "force" people to take personal responsibility for their lives, then expect to dodge homeless tents and crap on the sidewalk.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Though true the court ruling stated that:

in the absence of adequate alternatives, criminalizing people experiencing homelessness for sleeping in public constitutes “cruel and unusual punishment” and therefore violates their Eighth Amendment rights.

So now we get into the issue of what constitutes an adequate alternative. Some folks believe that the homeless have a full right to affordable local housing and some folks believe there are other lesser alternatives that could meet that criteria too. I guess eventually we'll have another court case to determine what constitutes an adequate alternative.
I think that order specifically addresses that, their opinion states that a bed in a shelter would be an adequate solution.

From the decision:

Quote:
... a Boise police officer testified that he cited plaintiff Pamela Hawkes under the Camping Ordinance for sleeping outside “wrapped in a blanket with her sandals off and next to her,” for sleeping in a public restroom “with blankets,” and for sleeping in a park “on a blanket, wrapped in blankets on the ground.” The Camping Ordinance therefore can be, and allegedly is, enforced against homeless individuals who take even the most rudimentary precautions to protect themselves from the elements. We conclude that a municipality cannot criminalize such behavior consistently with the Eighth Amendment when no sleeping space is practically available in any shelter. https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datasto...4/15-35845.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento