Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2021, 11:17 AM

12 posts, read 17,684 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the late post but this originally happened on Tuesday 5/18/21. On Neyland Wy near Giant Panda Dr.

I know that because there is a device on my ODB2 port connected thru my insurance company that reported these 2 engine code(s) and description(s) as well as my dashboard displaying the check engine light:

P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1

My mechanic Felipe verified the codes using an ODB2 reader. Then he put my car on the lift because those 2 sensors are connected to the catalytic converter. As soon as he looked underneath, he said "What did I tell you?" I said, "I don't know, what?" He said, "You gotta park that car in the garage". I have a 2006 Honda Accord (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle).

He pointed out to me where the bad guy(s) had cut the wires to the rear and front oxygen sensors. He said that is the order: 1) cut wires 2) steal cat. He said the bad guy(s) are aware that I had the exhaust lined w/ rebar (that Felipe had done for me months ago). He said the crooks failed the initial rebar test but they will return in the future to finish the job. We decided to double down and put more rebar but he said if you make it any harder, they will just steal the whole car.

Bottom line he said is that I have to clear out some space in the garage and park it.

Here's where I give him a plug to help others not be in my situation. I'm gonna be out $300 replacing the oxygen sensors.

Call Felipe at 916-402-8551. He can line the entire length with rebar to help protect your catalytic converter from theft. He will do it cheaper than all those other shops. You can tell him I sent you.
Attached Thumbnails
Attempted catalytic converter theft-imageonline-co-merged-image-larger-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 04:12 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablang View Post
He can line the entire length with rebar to help protect your catalytic converter from theft.

Rebar is super soft as it's just a mishmash of cheap recycled metals --nothing a decent sawzall blade won't eat in a few seconds. But I guess the idea is to add a deterrent.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Sorry for the late post but this originally happened on Tuesday 5/18/21. On Neyland Wy near Giant Panda Dr.

I know that because there is a device on my ODB2 port connected thru my insurance company that reported these 2 engine code(s) and description(s) as well as my dashboard displaying the check engine light:

P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1

My mechanic Felipe verified the codes using an ODB2 reader. Then he put my car on the lift because those 2 sensors are connected to the catalytic converter. As soon as he looked underneath, he said "What did I tell you?" I said, "I don't know, what?" He said, "You gotta park that car in the garage". I have a 2006 Honda Accord (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle).

He pointed out to me where the bad guy(s) had cut the wires to the rear and front oxygen sensors. He said that is the order: 1) cut wires 2) steal cat. He said the bad guy(s) are aware that I had the exhaust lined w/ rebar (that Felipe had done for me months ago). He said the crooks failed the initial rebar test but they will return in the future to finish the job. We decided to double down and put more rebar but he said if you make it any harder, they will just steal the whole car.

Bottom line he said is that I have to clear out some space in the garage and park it.

Here's where I give him a plug to help others not be in my situation. I'm gonna be out $300 replacing the oxygen sensors.

Call Felipe at 916-402-8551. He can line the entire length with rebar to help protect your catalytic converter from theft. He will do it cheaper than all those other shops. You can tell him I sent you.
I'm confused, if it threw those codes because of your catalytic converter why would you change them?

Old 06-02-2021, 06:26 AM

Those codes surfaced because the oxygen sensors cannot communicate w/ the cat (because the wires were cut).

My question is, does that affect gas mileage? I'm sure I cannot pass SMOG w/ that condition.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Those codes surfaced because the oxygen sensors cannot communicate w/ the cat (because the wires were cut).
My question is, does that affect gas mileage? I'm sure I cannot pass SMOG w/ that condition.
Yes, that is most likely why the codes showed up, but if you repair or replace the cat and the codes should clear. Is your cat still usable? I saw the picture & it looked that wires were cut, did Felipe repair or replace those? You can't drive it around with those cut/disconnected wires if one shorts it's likely to ruin your ECU

Old 06-03-2021, 08:18 AM

Felipe believes the cat is still usable. He only told me to get the front and rear oxygen sensors. I have almost a year til my next smog. I figured there was no point in getting the sensors until I can clear space in my garage to park the car.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Felipe believes the cat is still usable. He only told me to get the front and rear oxygen sensors. I have almost a year til my next smog. I figured there was no point in getting the sensors until I can clear space in my garage to park the car.
They won't cost $300 that's for sure, check prices on Amazon or call your local auto parts store. And they aren't hard to install, you could probably do it yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HfS9GbyZLg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento