Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 20,635 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in New Mexico and wanting to move to Ca. I used to live in southern Ca about 10 years ago and am wanting to move to northern CA. These are the places I am considering and would like any input on them: Auburn, Rio Vista, Vacaville, Dixon, and Fairfield. I live in a rural area and want to move to a place with more opportunities but not a large city like living in Sactown. Right now I am three and a half hours from an airport and mall!! So having these type of amenities will be great!! Schools (I have a 6th and 9th grader) and employment are definate considerations and I have a bachelor's in Public Administration. Also being close to areas where I can go four-wheeling, horseback riding, etc. would be great. Driving to get to these areas is not a big deal to me. I lived about 45 minutes from Albuquerque and am used to commutes, altho I do realize it will be a lot different there than here! Any help, opinions, etc is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 06:19 PM

433 posts, read 2,350,860 times
Sounds like Auburn would be your first choice. And maybe Rio Vista at #2.

Aren't many negatives for Auburn if you can afford it. Very rolling terrain. Nice downtown. Charm. Great recreation nearby.

Rio Vista is a river/delta town. Good charm factor and you might be able to pick up a house and larger lot cheaper that the other areas. Good for boating and fishing. Negatives would be the winding two lane roads that can have pretty heavy traffic. Fog in the winter. Windy (but cooling) afternoons in the summer.

All the other towns have better access to The Bay Area or Sac on I-80. They are primarily sprawling suburbs. There is good recreation in the Coastal Range mountains/hills to their north though. Fairfield can get annoying with the afternoon summer winds that blow from the Bay Area to the Central Valley. In some areas, the trees grow slanted because of the strong wind.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:18 PM

So as far as cost of living, Auburn is high? Rio Vista is less expensive? What about the other towns? I would rent at first before I would consider buying a home. Its windy like heck in northern NM, only no wind for about 2 months, lol, so thats not a huge problem.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,408,446 times
I would look more into Dixon. If you are in Public Admin, you will probably find a lot of opportunities in Sacramento being the state capitol. Also it is more rural but you can get to all those places that you mention very quickly.

The reason I personally would be considered about Rio Vista is that while I am sure it is very nice, it is around the river (and this is probably my personal thing) but I am always hearing people driving their car in the river. There are a LOT of levy roads out there and I have driven down there a few times and I was nervous.

Also the best wheeling in the west would be the Rubicon and Four Dice and you will be pretty close to those anywhere up here.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 PM

Thanks Guingirl. Those are thine things i need to know. What are your thoughts on Vacaville? Housing costs, schools, etc? Dixon from what I can see seems like a nice small town.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 PM

424 posts, read 2,690,500 times
Default Vacaville - Probably Not

Vacaville used to be a pretty town next to the coast mountain range, but it has become a bedroom community for the Bay Area. It's got dense housing, more and more crime and has also had bad flooding problems. The schools are getting worse also. I would stay closer to Dixon which is near Davis, which is very nice, but it's much more affordable.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:35 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,316,115 times
I was wondering about VacaVille. I used to live in Rocklin (from illinois. only there half a year). I drove by VacaVille a few times and thought it looked very nice (from the interstate) and a good location to work in either sacramento or san francisco. In my case, it would be working in sacramento. I never really explored the towns west of sac.

Does VacaVille get as hot as Sacramento? I bet Davis is just as hot as Sac...correct?

I had never considered Davis but might now, but am very interested in hearing more about Vacaville too...and Dixon!

Ps. I liked Auburn a lot too! I am single though and am thinking I might like Vacaville due to the closer proximity to San Francisco.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Kidblue - Are you saying Dixon is more affordable or Davis? I heard the flooding was not overall just certain parts and I would of course stay away from those areas. How hot does it get in vacaville and Dixon? Any and all info is great. I've looked online but nothing beats info from those living in the area. Thnx!

Old 01-08-2007, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 13,623 times
I live in Dixon so I think I know from whence I speak. Davis is a considerably larger community, but still surrounded by AG, and there's the University there. Politically liberal, too, if that matters to you. Vacaville is even larger, with shopping galore, movie theaters, a revitalized historic downtown area, and a large rental housing market. Vacaville's politics appear more centrist, and the community is very supportive of the military.

Avoid Fairfield. I'm not going to say anything else about that.

Price of housing (rentals) in Dixon depends on size of home and what part of town (but I have to say that even the "worst" part of town isn't exactly a blight), but averages from $1300 - $2800 for a 3 or 4 BR home. There are relatively few apartments in Dixon as opposed to Davis or Vacaville.

Vacaville is larger, has more amenities, and also has more rental housing available than Dixon. Same could be said for Davis. I cannot compare areas like Rocklin or Auburn, except to say that if you like skiing, you're closer to the slopes there than in Solano County.

Jobs? Good luck. Not in Dixon! Nearly everyone I know either farms or commutes out. The best-paying jobs are toward San Francisco, but the commute west is a total killer!!!.

Dixon is still a small town suffering some growing pains. I moved here specifically because of what it does not have: Malls, Night Life, and high crime rates. I came here to raise kids. If I could do it over again, I'd have moved to the midwest, but it's not bad, it's just morphing in ways I'm not happy with.

Dixon is growing at an alarming rate, however, so I'm reluctant to give it the "five stars" I gave it a decade ago when I moved here. Moving anywhere in CA is going to be an expensive proposition.

Why not move to MO where housing is phenominally-priced and jobs are plentiful? Sure, in CA you can golf all year round, and you can go skiing on Saturday and to the beach on Sunday, but how are you going to do that if you're working two jobs to pay the mortgage?

Good luck to you.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 13,623 times
Question Flooding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingone View Post
Kidblue - Are you saying Dixon is more affordable or Davis? I heard the flooding was not overall just certain parts and I would of course stay away from those areas. How hot does it get in vacaville and Dixon? Any and all info is great. I've looked online but nothing beats info from those living in the area. Thnx!
Flooding? Some parts of Vacaville definitely flood quite badly. So just don't live in those areas. Dixon hasn't had any flooding to speak of since I've lived here - just the occasional storm drain that gets backed up leaving temporary standing water on the street (and up on the lawns) but I've never heard of flooding in the city limits all the way into someone's house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento