Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 08:12 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsocal View Post
. Not an easy task in Sacramento.

Personally, I am fine with Sacramento weather but I am a bit worried about the direction it is going...
It was a very easy task for us Today, actually every single day in the summer in Sacramento it is 68F to 80F for a solid 4 to 6 hour period daylight hours with pleasant and comfortable humidity and low dew points.

For example,

Today, From 8am to 1PM we were outside walking around Land Park to the levee on the Sacramento River. Later, were were on the river, and in a boat on the Sacramento River. The average temperature during those 5 hours was 69F, not 99F.

When we were done being outside it was still only 77F around 1ish in the afternoon full sun.

Land Park is a beautiful and convenient neighborhood nearby to UCDMC by car. and it has access to the Sacramento River via the Sacramento Marina where the Westin Hotel is located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 11:43 PM

207 posts, read 220,645 times
Chimérique,

I am not sure what are you trying to convince people about. Yes, say for tomorrow it is promised to be 64F at 9 am and 82F at 1 pm. It will be a reasonably nice day overall, the maximum about 92F, which is not bad but not great either. But then we will have a five day period of >100F maximums from 07/08- 07/12 and the picture is less rosy even for your special 9am-1pm window.

In any case, as I already wrote some like it hotter some like it cooler. And some prefer to have whole summer days to be comfortable and not just some special time windows. It is a matter of taste, that's all. I am not surprised that you like the local weather. But why you are surprised that some or many do not appreciate it that much is not very clear to me.
For example, I may or may not like sunny snowy mostly non-windy winters with temperatures around 10-20F but I do not expect everybody to be a fan of it. I know some people who like to have four very distinct seasons and I know some who love Hawaiian weather. I know some who like small rain on a somewhat warm summer day (say 73F) and some who are happy with dry 86F days....

As for the future, I am concerned that last year's semi-record of 23 days with max >100F will become a new normal with temperatures inching up somewhat. If we keep getting fire smoke on top of this we will have a problem. Time will tell. I hope that you will not have to convince people 10-20 years from now that having on average 30 days with >100F maximum is not a big deal

Last edited by norcalsocal; 07-06-2021 at 12:20 AM..

Old 07-06-2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Chimérique,

I am not sure what are you trying to convince people about. Yes, say for tomorrow it is promised to be 64F at 9 am and 82F at 1 pm. It will be a reasonably nice day overall, the maximum about 92F, which is not bad but not great either. But then we will have a five day period of >100F maximums from 07/08- 07/12 and the picture is less rosy even for your special 9am-1pm window.

In any case, as I already wrote some like it hotter some like it cooler. And some prefer to have whole summer days to be comfortable and not just some special time windows. It is a matter of taste, that's all. I am not surprised that you like the local weather. But why you are surprised that some or many do not appreciate it that much is not very clear to me.

I am concerned that last year's semi-record of 23 days with max >100F will become a new normal with temperatures inching up somewhat. If we keep getting fire smoke on top of this we will have a problem. Time will tell. I hope that you will not have to convince people 10-20 years from now that having on average 30 days with >100F maximum is not a big deal
Norcalsocal,
I'm not trying to convince people of anything. I state the facts and they can do whatever they want with them; distort, reinterpret, reshape to their preconceived ideas, or do what rational people do and use them to inform and/or adjust their lives.

I don't consider 6am - 2pm a "special time window", others may, but I'm sure most don't. Today from 6am to 2pm, Sacramento averaged around 69F, NOT 99F, that's 8 hrs of an average 69F. The high topped out at 89F or 90F depending on the source. It was in the upper 80's for about 2 hours. This evening by 10pm Sacramento was back down to 66F.

The low is expected to be from 56F to 58F tomorrow morning, in Sacramento, the parks are very full of people running/walking/exercising in the 6-9am hour. Thats 3 hrs of enjoying a park near UCDMC as Cool as the 50's, NOT 99F. There are not very many metros across the nation where you enjoy very Cool 50's in the morning, and a warm upper 80's for 2-3hrs, and then another 2-3 hrs of cool 60's. on a daily basis in the middle of the summer with low humidity and pleasant dew points through out the entire day and night.

Thanks for you input, yes, time will tell, but it's been pretty darn pleasant most of the time, as usual in Sacramento for the last 60 days, this is nothing new, its been this way for the last 170 years of historical records.

Drought, fire and smoke, and the disappearance of the tule fog are our real climate concerns in California.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-06-2021 at 01:00 AM..

Old 07-06-2021, 12:50 AM

"It amazes me that more Sacramentans on this forum refuse to acknowledge and accept this very unique and special feature about Sacramento Summer weather."

Your quote not mine. Why it amazes you that many locals see things differently, or well ... whatever...
Locals, as in those presumably have lived here for quite some time and presumably know local weather pretty well, right?

Again, have it appeared to you that people might have different taste?

I doubt that daily/weekly weather postings will affect and inform many people's opinions but good luck with it.
“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

BTW, I have nothing against those weather postings of yours- honestly. It is just that quote of yours that started all this - but here I am going the third or fourth full circle with it I guess.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:19 AM

Quote:
"It amazes me that more Sacramentans on this forum refuse to acknowledge and accept this very unique and special feature about Sacramento Summer weather."
I still stand by that statement, because Sacramento Summers are quite unique. Hopefully, by now, you know why and how.

For the last year I've been crisscrossing the nation (masked and vaccinated) by train, plane and car and I'm always reminded when in the Northeast, the Deep South, Florida, Midwest, the Southwest, and the PNW how innocuous, pleasant, predictable and comfortable Sacramento weather is compared to most of the rest of nation.

By biggest complaint is when we have a below average winter rainfall season, and last winter was the worst ever!

On our walk this morning before the Sacramento River boat ride we walked past a 100 foot Redwood tree, in a Sacramento front yard. It looked quite healthy despite this drought. I doubt it will look so healthy next year if we have another drought year.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-06-2021 at 01:33 AM..

Old 07-06-2021, 10:52 AM

"beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

What is unique to you could be bland to others. Just do not be surprised by this

Even our famous Delta breeze is more pronounced in some parts of the Sacramento region than others.

Let us delicately put it this way. Sacramento region is not famous around the world for its unique weather. And we are not some isolated, God-forgotten place that nobody can "discover". Some, like me, mostly like the local weather. Some are neutral about it. Some dislike it. It is normal.

For me, Sacramento summer weather from 1 pm till 8pm is not nice at all. I can live with it, it does not affect my well being but that's about it. And the prospect of accelerated droughts/ bigger fires worries me. I like Spring in Sacramento. But then so many people around here have seasonal allergies. I don't have it, luckily, but those allergies are definitely a factor in many lives from March till June.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:

What is unique to you could be bland to others. Just do not be surprised by this
I don't think the word "unique" is a measurement of good, bad, bland or exciting. Rather "unique" means having no like or equal. And there is really is no other major city in the USA with consistent daily diurnal ranges like Sacramento during the summer going from very cool, cool, warm to hot and in some cases very hot with pleasant dew points and low humidity. This is unique and I think beneficial to most people if one takes advantage of it.

I've already accepted there are people who don't care and don't believe the data I present, but as long as I know it is the truth I'm fine with it. You can do as others do and ignore it or get mad, try to diminish me, or say nasty things. But of course I'm happy you've gone this far...

The area near UCDMC went from a low of 55F today, by 10am it was still in the 60's, later, to a high of 91F and currently at 88F, expected to be down to 69F this evening, 59F overnight with a morning low again at 55F. Coupled with full sun, comfortable dew points and low humidity is a Unique weather situation.

I personally take of advantage of this huge diurnal range all the time and I know plenty of others that do as well.

We rode our bikes this morning from West Sacramento along Sacramento River roads to the the Delta town of Clarksburg and back up on the Sacramento side all the way back up to Sacramento City College/Land Park, during the whole trip it was 65F to 69F ending our trip around 10am. When it was 91F later I was heading to the pool, got side tracked, but on the way to the pool soon, full sun 88F.

When you do this trip by bike you really can appreciate that Sacramento is/was a genuine Delta town. Most Central Valley towns are not Delta towns, but Sacramento is, being the northern most and largest of the Delta towns. Arguably another "unique" feature by California standards. Most people think of big cities, coastal towns, mountains and deserts when thinking about California, not Delta towns. Clarksburg is less than 5 miles from the southern city limits of Sacramento.

Sacramento does NOT mirror the weather of most of the other Central Valley towns because it is also a DELTA town. If it were not for the DELTA, Sacramento would not have the UNIQUE....and awesome...summer weather that it has.

"Sacramento region is not famous around the world for its unique weather"............But it really should be from April to October..... Sacramento "could be" made into a Spring-Summer-Fall destination city like Palm Springs in the Spring or Florida in the Winter, or Arizona in the Winter or Austin in the Spring, hell, it could even be a mini low-key Vegas of the north primarily because of its weather. The powers that be and their influencers would never let that happen, they would crush any attempt early on, during and after, LOL.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-06-2021 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-07-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

"Sacramento region is not famous around the world for its unique weather"............But it really should be from April to October..... Sacramento "could be" made into a Spring-Summer-Fall destination city like Palm Springs in the Spring or Florida in the Winter, or Arizona in the Winter or Austin in the Spring, hell, it could even be a mini low-key Vegas of the north primarily because of its weather. The powers that be and their influencers would never let that happen, they would crush any attempt early on, during and after, LOL.
OK, now we have conspiracy theories.

Gosh, I really love that specific flavor of ice cream but the powers to be and their influencers would never let it become world's favorite...

On a positive note, it is great that there are people so passionate about the Sacramento area.
I have nothing against it- great hobby. No sarcasm here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento