U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2022, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
40,871 posts, read 21,982,286 times
Reputation: 31823

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
First someone's analysis is their professional opinion, but a professional opinion is still an opinion. It's not a fact.
Second you really haven't made your case. We have seen the videotape of shoplifting in the Walgreen's in San Francisco. Walgreens is closing stores in San Francsico because of shoplifting and Target is cutting hours because of shoplifting. The San Francisco Chronicle is publishing a map of car break ins. There is a major problem with Fentenyl in San Francisco, they have a problem with a record number of Fentenyl deaths is San Francisco. There are huge homeless encampments in the Tenderloin. There is open drug dealing in the streets and the prices of illegal drugs is falling in San Francisco. All of that indicates to me, yes, crime is a problem in San Francisco right now because people on drugs are shoplifting/breaking into cars topay for their drug habit. Yes, I think Prop 47 is a big part of the problem. I have family members living in North Beach. So yes, I know first hand that crime is a problem in San Francisco and that what is going on right now is not like it was before. Heck I lived in San Francisco previously, so yes I think you are wrong here, something has changed for the worse in San Francisco.
People fall off the wagon. But threat of getting arrested again and possibly going to jail is one of the things that makes people take their sobriety seriously. Sometimes people need major consequences in their lives before they agree to make better choices.
Right now they are selling drugs in front of police in the Tenderloin and there is no legal recourse because the addict is just diverted to the linkage center instead of being arrested. Drug dealers themselves were protected from arrest in San Francisco because they were Honduran and Boudin was refusing to prosecute them because they might be deported back to Honduras and Boudin argued that violated San Francisco's Sanctuary City policy.
https://sfstandard.com/criminal-just...g-immigration/
But I would start with arresting drug dealers themselves and get the addicts themselves when they are caught shoplifting. Then I would offer them access to drug treatment or jail if they refuse treatment. But you need something to get the addicts to agree to go to treatment in the first place. Also, you can use the fact that jail is expensive as a reason to fund more treatment centers arguing its cheaper to treat them than to put them in jail.
But the staus quo where you are letting people steal to fund their addiction, just isn't working in San Francisco. I think the current policies are just really cruel. The addicts at the linkage center aren't agreeing to treatment, they are just overdosing on fentanyl or heroin or meth. That is not compassion.
More people died of Fentanyl last year in San Francisco than Covid, that is a measure of both how well the City of San Francisco handled Covid but also how badly it has handled Fentanyl.
You sound like a broken record, I see nothing here to respond to, it appears to be a rehash of the same arguments you have presented before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2022, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
40,871 posts, read 21,982,286 times
Reputation: 31823
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
Thanks once again for telling it like it is. The other guy posted a hokey article that claimed that "Walgreens stole $4.5 million from its workers" so i doubt that you will be able to reason with him.
Can you post a link to that article about Walgreens?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2022, 04:29 PM
 
330 posts, read 450,954 times
Reputation: 1341
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Huh? I posted sources for everything I said, but just for you, here we go again:
Walgreen's already had planned to close those stores: It was only after the press made the association between Walgreen's closing and Retail theft that Walgreens started using that as an excuse:
The reason I don't find this argument persuasive at all is that all of the major retailers are reporting a problem with Shoplifting in San Francisco. It is not just Walgreens, but Target, and CVS as well. The larger pattern is what matters here and its all telling the same story shoplifting is a problem and the problem is the worst in San Francisco.

Of the 155 CVS locations in the Bay Area, the 12 stores in San Francisco account for 26% of all shoplifting incidents in the Bay Area.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/san-fra...ed-11634678239

So yes I see shoplifting is a problem in San Francisco specifically, but I am waiting for your tortured explanation of how shoplifting is not happening at CVS in San Francisco and this is all a conspiracy. But here is a video.

https://www.kron4.com/news/video-sho...-nob-hill-cvs/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

Your screed about how bad San Francisco is just opinion, and you had the audacity to claim that what I posted wasn't useful because it was just opinion. But here's a question I would like to see you address, for some reason you made this about Boudin, so tell me this, how is the new DA going to stop car break-ins, retail theft or eliminate the urine or feces odor?
You were claiming to cite facts and not opinions, that claim is simply balderdash. You were making an argument, you just aren't making it very successfully. You just keep doubling down on nonsense.

As to whether the new DA will stop crime, that depends greatly on whether the new DA will actually prosecute people who break into cars and agree to prosecute people who get caught shoplifting. If he/she actually did that, I think that might make a difference, but this is San Francisco, so that may or may not actually occur. If they went after the drug dealers, I think that would make some difference in the number of homeless junkies in the area. So yes I think their is a potential for improvement, but I don't know if that potential will be realized.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2022, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
40,871 posts, read 21,982,286 times
Reputation: 31823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnitjanet View Post
The reason I don't find this argument persuasive at all is that all of the major retailers are reporting a problem with Shoplifting in San Francisco. It is not just Walgreens, but Target, and CVS as well. The larger pattern is what matters here and its all telling the same story shoplifting is a problem and the problem is the worst in San Francisco.
Of the 155 CVS locations in the Bay Area, the 12 stores in San Francisco account for 26% of all shoplifting incidents in the Bay Area.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/san-fra...ed-11634678239
So yes I see shoplifting is a problem in San Francisco specifically, but I am waiting for your tortured explanation of how shoplifting is not happening at CVS in San Francisco and this is all a conspiracy. But here is a video.
https://www.kron4.com/news/video-sho...-nob-hill-cvs/
You were claiming to cite facts and not opinions, that claim is simply balderdash. You were making an argument, you just aren't making it very successfully. You just keep doubling down on nonsense.
As to whether the new DA will stop crime, that depends greatly on whether the new DA will actually prosecute people who break into cars and agree to prosecute people who get caught shoplifting. If he/she actually did that, I think that might make a difference, but this is San Francisco, so that may or may not actually occur. If they went after the drug dealers, I think that would make some difference in the number of homeless junkies in the area. So yes I think their is a potential for improvement, but I don't know if that potential will be realized.
About your WSJ article, I can't even read all of it because I don't subscribe but I can address some of the problems with it:

Regarding the 'reason' Walgreen stores closed in SF:

Quote:
The Chronicle published a story that, citing data from the city’s Police Department, pointed out how one store set to close “had only seven reported shoplifting incidents this year and a total of 23 since 2018.” While it is important to note that not all incidents are reported to police, the five stores being shut down “had fewer than two recorded shoplifting incidents a month on average since 2018.” Some have also pointed out the company’s prior plans to reduce its stores. In an August 2019 SEC filing, Walgreens stated that it planned to close approximately 200 following “a review of the real estate footprint in the United States.” https://www.latimes.com/california/n...ial-california
Now a suggestion, if what I write here is balderdash, why not do yourself a favor and quit reading it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2022, 05:27 PM
 
1,127 posts, read 1,233,845 times
Reputation: 615
I miss the cooler weather and beaches of San Diego but way too expensive to buy anything coastal right now down there and renting sucks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top