Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2023, 08:16 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,570,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
I think people are over thinking this. Very few 3rd tier mid sized metros are tourist traps. I mean you got Vegas, New Orleans, and Orlando areas and that is really it.

I mean who do you know that takes a vacations to Salt Lake City, Columbus, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Baltimore, San Antonio, or St Louis for fun??

Honestly, 2nd tier regions like San Diego, Minneapolis, Denver, Portland, and such do have a bit more vibrancy/energy/amenities vs 3rd tiers like Sac. But 2nd tier regions are much closer to 3rd tiers than they are to 1st tiers.
San Diego or Portland is much closer to Sac than they are to The Bay, NYC, LA, etc.
Well the crime wave, homelessness and open air drug markets are rapidly dragging down these so called first tier cities to below third world sewer levels !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 03:54 PM

580 posts, read 513,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Well the crime wave, homelessness and open air drug markets are rapidly dragging down these so called first tier cities to below third world sewer levels !
Yea but all of those places have a lot of solid surrounding suburbs.

Old 06-18-2023, 06:50 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Sadly, it's happening in the second tier cities too. SD, Portland, Phoenix, Dallas all have terrible homelessness. Crime is actually not that bad per Capita in those cities, though, as the media is vastly overblowing most of it. Even in NYC, crime isn't very bad historically, and in SF, it's not muggings or stabbings but car break-ins. SF has the highest rate of those in the country. But from what I recently read, most of it isn't locals but organized international crime rings that do systematic break-ins. If those rings could be dismantled, then the City would be much better again.

Old 06-18-2023, 07:04 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
I think people are over thinking this. Very few 3rd tier mid sized metros are tourist traps. I mean you got Vegas, New Orleans, and Orlando areas and that is really it.

I mean who do you know that takes a vacations to Salt Lake City, Columbus, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Baltimore, San Antonio, or St Louis for fun??

Honestly, 2nd tier regions like San Diego, Minneapolis, Denver, Portland, and such do have a bit more vibrancy/energy/amenities vs 3rd tiers like Sac. But 2nd tier regions are much closer to 3rd tiers than they are to 1st tiers.
San Diego or Portland is much closer to Sac than they are to The Bay, NYC, LA, etc.
I would agree with that. Second tier cities (we live in SD) aren't on par with the very big cities, but they definitely have more tourism, especially domestically. Our airport only has half the passengers of SFO but twice the passengers of Sacramento, making us the third busiest in California (and currently undergoing a massive build-out). And we're a huge convention city. But our tourist attractions are not iconic like the Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge, or the Hollywood sign. It's more of an overall scenic beauty.

For most of the first tier cities, I tend to think it's better to visit than to live there. For the other cities, I'd flip it. I've always thought Portland would be great place to live but is only moderately interesting to visit. Same with Denver; what's there even to look at as a tourist? Most third tier cities aren't worth either, and that's where I think Sacramento stands should above the others you've mentioned.

Old 06-18-2023, 08:32 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Sadly, it's happening in the second tier cities too. SD, Portland, Phoenix, Dallas all have terrible homelessness. Crime is actually not that bad per Capita in those cities, though, as the media is vastly overblowing most of it. Even in NYC, crime isn't very bad historically, and in SF, it's not muggings or stabbings but car break-ins. SF has the highest rate of those in the country. But from what I recently read, most of it isn't locals but organized international crime rings that do systematic break-ins. If those rings could be dismantled, then the City would be much better again.
It's not that media is overblowing it, rather much of that crime is simply NOT reported; therefore gov't reports of crime are faulty, inaccurate.

For example, I, personally, was a victim of crime in downtown Los Angeles, in San Francisco, in Sacramento, and in Berkeley near the campus. In all of those I never reported the crimes. Although I know I should have reported those crimes, I am one of many many folks who don't report crimes for all sorts of reasons. The crimes ranged from assault, theft, vandalism, and verbal threats.

A crime is a crime; it doesn't matter if it is from some "organized international group" or the local thug who wants to take out, or shall I say "express", his "truth" his "injustice" out on you, there is always a victim, often an Innocent victim.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:40 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
The funny thing about the "unreported crime" argument is that it doesn't require a shred of factual evidence--it's largely based on anecdata ("I claim that I don't report crimes committed against me, therefore nobody reports crimes" and there's no way to disprove it because it's based on opinion, not facts. Folks just invent scenarios in their heads based on how they are told cities are, rather than testing the evidence. And some of the cliched terms used to describe cities have just become hilarious-- "open-air drug markets" always makes me giggle, it makes me think of like a farmer's market except instead of vegetables on the tables they have pills and powders and whatnot, and tourists walking through asking "Is this fentanyl fresh?"

Old 06-18-2023, 01:48 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
“Funny thing" about that response is there is nothing Funny about being a real victim. And what's sad, heart-breaking, and crushes the spirit is when your fellow man or woman does not believe you were a victim of crime.

Those people are masters of deception who blame the victim, marginalize the victim, discredit the victim, diminish the victim, and say the victim is crazy or a liar. Its down right evil and an injustice.

This is the society we live in today, and telling the truth infuriates them as it always has.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-18-2023 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-18-2023, 05:10 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,663,523 times
On a different note, has anyone noticed how crazy drivers have become here in Sacramento lately? I’ve had to drive more defensively lately.

Old 06-18-2023, 05:28 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,570,303 times
Well as much as I loved my years of living in San Diego, it definitely has a seriously bad homeless problem and sky high cost of living.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:27 PM

855 posts, read 451,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The funny thing about the "unreported crime" argument is that it doesn't require a shred of factual evidence--it's largely based on anecdata ("I claim that I don't report crimes committed against me, therefore nobody reports crimes" and there's no way to disprove it because it's based on opinion, not facts. Folks just invent scenarios in their heads based on how they are told cities are, rather than testing the evidence. And some of the cliched terms used to describe cities have just become hilarious-- "open-air drug markets" always makes me giggle, it makes me think of like a farmer's market except instead of vegetables on the tables they have pills and powders and whatnot, and tourists walking through asking "Is this fentanyl fresh?"
Walking down a street in many parts of SF or Oakland and realizing it is far unsafer than the majority of US or international cities of similar size, is certainly not an invented scenario.

Actual crime is always greater than reported crime. On top of it in the Bay Area cops have been told to stand down more than just about anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento