Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 08:06 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Your reading comprehension appears to be limited. I pointed out that using heavily manipulated stats, as if it were scientific factual data, to prove crime is down is a fools errand.

The year 2021 saw homicide increas by 31% from 2020. Year over year. You read that right, 31%. That is literally INSANE. And 2022 only saw 4 less homicides than 2021.

Like I said, the liberal narrative that Sacramento is "safer" than it has ever been is simply false. It's more violent, with more unstable people on the street, thanks to the liberal 9th Appeals Court. And Judges can't throw the book at criminals even if they wanted to, thanks the liberal legislature that mandates soft punishment. But then most of the Judges appointed by Republicans are long since retired, so it's not like there is anyone willing to be tough from the bench.
"tough from the bench" I'll have to remember that....but you said you are a data analyst, right? so where are your stats that prove that "tough from the bench" reduces crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 11:10 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But every day in these forums I am told that when there are cities with a high crime rate it's the fault of the Democrat mayor, don't believe me, just go through some of the posts in PoC
Listen, there are always going to be cities ranked by crime from highest to lowest. I am talking about something that is not just a statewide but mostly national trend. You're talking micro, while I am exploring the macro. I'm talking the broad political philosophy that we need reform in law enforcement. The same bad reforms that started in the late 60's, until it started to get turned around in the 1980's.

Those tough on crime laws enacted in the 1980's made society much safer 20 years down the line.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:25 PM

Quote:
"tough from the bench" I'll have to remember that....but you said you are a data analyst, right? so where are your stats that prove that "tough from the bench" reduces crime?
Tough on crime Judges appointed by Pete Wilson and Schwarzenegger single handedly made cities like SF playgrounds for wealthy white people by 2010. Even LA and Oakland's downtowns were making come backs.

No one wants to admitt it because it is expensive, but when you lock up people and throw away the key, the repeat offenders are kept at bay.

Vast majority of Felons are repeat offenders. Anyone sworn or even non sworn law enforcement will tell you 90% of the problems with crime are caused by 1% of the population.

Look at agencies like the probation office that now have a mission of keeping felons out of jail and making their lives as pain free as possible. That used to be an agency that focused on holding felons accountable.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Listen, there are always going to be cities ranked by crime from highest to lowest. I am talking about something that is not just a statewide but mostly national trend. You're talking micro, while I am exploring the macro. I'm talking the broad political philosophy that we need reform in law enforcement. The same bad reforms that started in the late 60's, until it started to get turned around in the 1980's.

Those tough on crime laws enacted in the 1980's made society much safer 20 years down the line.
No, it actually didn't and I'm surprised you keep saying that. For the most part the "tough on crime" laws i.e. 3 strikes were added in the early 90s at a time when crime was already dropping quickly. Criminologists and sociologists have studied this for decades and they all came to the same conclusion "tough on crime" did not reduce the crime rate. Certainly, if you keep everyone who breaks the law in prison for 5 or 10 years crime will drop because those offenders won't be on the streets. But doing so is a fool's game because we aren't quite sure which ones we lock up would actually recidivate and the cost is absolutely prohibitive.

What you fail to consider/understand is that people who break the law don't think like the rest of us, they do not say to themselves "Wow, they just increased the penalty for breaking this law I'd better not do it" Most don't even know the penalty until they are booked into jail. The ones who are educated enough to understand that there might be a long sentence involved are usually narcissists who think they won't get caught.

Do you want to know what does work? Use computer data to find hotspots of crime and stake out cops in large enough numbers that people who would have committed a crime realize they will get caught if they do, and for those who are caught - sentencing should occur as soon as possible, it should not be drug out for two years. Those two aspects of reducing crime are called "certainty and celerity" google it if you want more information.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:01 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
Quote:
No kidding, but at least the non-incorporated parts of Sac have an excuse, Sac Sheriff Deputies aren't even issued ticket books - CHP is responsible for all traffic control and they have very little interest in driving around writing speeding tickets.
So I can drive like a speed demon and sac sheriff won’t pull me over for a ticket or running a red light? That would explain the large number of bad drivers in Carmichael and Fair Oaks.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
No, it actually didn't and I'm surprised you keep saying that. For the most part the "tough on crime" laws i.e. 3 strikes were added in the early 90s at a time when crime was already dropping quickly. Criminologists and sociologists have studied this for decades and they all came to the same conclusion "tough on crime" did not reduce the crime rate. Certainly, if you keep everyone who breaks the law in prison for 5 or 10 years crime will drop because those offenders won't be on the streets. But doing so is a fool's game because we aren't quite sure which ones we lock up would actually recidivate and the cost is absolutely prohibitive.

What you fail to consider/understand is that people who break the law don't think like the rest of us, they do not say to themselves "Wow, they just increased the penalty for breaking this law I'd better not do it" Most don't even know the penalty until they are booked into jail. The ones who are educated enough to understand that there might be a long sentence involved are usually narcissists who think they won't get caught.

Do you want to know what does work? Use computer data to find hotspots of crime and stake out cops in large enough numbers that people who would have committed a crime realize they will get caught if they do, and for those who are caught - sentencing should occur as soon as possible, it should not be drug out for two years. Those two aspects of reducing crime are called "certainty and celerity" google it if you want more information.
Listen, you are clearly a DEMOCRAT, so I don't expect you to comprehend this. But letting people off with light sentences for violent crime, only makes things worse. People who commit armed robbery should not be getting less than 5 years.

You are trying to obfuscate statistical crime reduction and keeping the general public safe. There's nothing safe about giving soft punishments to felons. We know that numbers show the MAJORITY of those sentenced today we reoffend with several years. And we know that an aging population (the real reason crime rates dropped 20 years ago) reduces crime.

We also know that decriminalization (real or defacto) of behavior for prostitution, open air drug use, and retail theft has led to worse conditions on the street.

Yea I have heard all the twacked out statistical theories about crime reduction. It's like listening to Robert MacNamera using numbers to try and convince you Vietnam War is going well. No thanks.

You don't need a God darn computer to tell you how to police and where. The high crime spots are the same ones they were mostly 20 years ago, and no cop needs a computer to tell them that. Yes you saturate the ghetto with cops and you let the police BE THE POLICE.

And the Judges? Who do you think LETS cases drag on for years? I'll give you hint, the Judges appointed by Brown and Newsom, and not Aarnold. Liberal judges are the ones letting defense attorneys continue cases for YEARS.

One time I seen a Judge tell a lawyer, "You have had 18 months to prepare for this, you are not getting any more continuances." That was a Republican Judge who has since retired and was n before being a Judges. All these Democrat Judges let the defense attorney stall for years. And these Democrat Judges are all mostly former defense attorneys themselves.

Old 06-29-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Listen, you are clearly a DEMOCRAT, so I don't expect you to comprehend this. But letting people off with light sentences for violent crime, only makes things worse. People who commit armed robbery should not be getting less than 5 years.

You are trying to obfuscate statistical crime reduction and keeping the general public safe. There's nothing safe about giving soft punishments to felons. We know that numbers show the MAJORITY of those sentenced today we reoffend with several years. And we know that an aging population (the real reason crime rates dropped 20 years ago) reduces crime.

We also know that decriminalization (real or defacto) of behavior for prostitution, open air drug use, and retail theft has led to worse conditions on the street.

Yea I have heard all the twacked out statistical theories about crime reduction. It's like listening to Robert MacNamera using numbers to try and convince you Vietnam War is going well. No thanks.

You don't need a God darn computer to tell you how to police and where. The high crime spots are the same ones they were mostly 20 years ago, and no cop needs a computer to tell them that. Yes you saturate the ghetto with cops and you let the police BE THE POLICE.

And the Judges? Who do you think LETS cases drag on for years? I'll give you hint, the Judges appointed by Brown and Newsom, and not Aarnold. Liberal judges are the ones letting defense attorneys continue cases for YEARS.

One time I seen a Judge tell a lawyer, "You have had 18 months to prepare for this, you are not getting any more continuances." That was a Republican Judge who has since retired and was n before being a Judges. All these Democrat Judges let the defense attorney stall for years. And these Democrat Judges are all mostly former defense attorneys themselves.
I don't make up the stats but I do spend a lot of time reading them and checking to see if they can be validated. But you prefer to 'go with your gut' rather than deal with these issues in a practical way that's entirely up to you.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:05 PM

130 posts, read 86,349 times
Quote:
I think people are over thinking this. Very few 3rd tier mid sized metros are tourist traps. I mean you got Vegas, New Orleans, and Orlando areas and that is really it.

I mean who do you know that takes a vacations to Salt Lake City, Columbus, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Baltimore, San Antonio, or St Louis for fun??

Honestly, 2nd tier regions like San Diego, Minneapolis, Denver, Portland, and such do have a bit more vibrancy/energy/amenities vs 3rd tiers like Sac. But 2nd tier regions are much closer to 3rd tiers than they are to 1st tiers.
San Diego or Portland is much closer to Sac than they are to The Bay, NYC, LA, etc.
A lot of people go to SLC for skiing and the national parks.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:59 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
And these so called first tier cities like NYC, SF and LA are falling into the abyss of massive homelessness, crime and drug activity with the smell of human dung on city streets. P-U no thank you! I’ll stick to Sacramento until I can buy my farm out of state.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
So I can drive like a speed demon and sac sheriff won’t pull me over for a ticket or running a red light? That would explain the large number of bad drivers in Carmichael and Fair Oaks.
Yeah pretty much... No one does a thing. About twice a year CHP has a roadside check for smog compliance I think, other than that or CHP responding to a fatal vehicle crash no one seems to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento