Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 04:19 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
The film Lady Bird featured a number of iconic places in and around Sacramento. Let’s not forget that we’re the “Farm to Fork” capital of California.
Only because every other city is legally prohibited from using the term "Farm to Fork Capital" as it's copyrighted by the Sacramento marketing firm that came up with it, while pretty much every other city in the nation uses the term "Farm to Table" to describe exactly the same concept; Sacramento is in no way the only city that values its proximity to nearby agricultural production regions and uses it in regional marketing. As to what that means, I could declare myself King of Forklandia, copyright the term "King of Forklandia" and do a press release about it, but just because I invent a fake title for myself doesn't mean people will think it's cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 12:35 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
I mean in the past couple of weeks we have had Aftershock - one of the largest and respected heavy metal rock festivals in the world. The Eagles played at DOCO, and then this week end PHISH. Green Velvet and the Dead Kennedys came to town this weekend. Then we had Capital Beer Fest, Vegan Block Party also this weekend. All during the obscure early fall.

So it's not like we have nothing to do. It's mostly tourists and people from the bay area talking ****, when they don't know ****.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:34 AM

190 posts, read 298,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Sacramento is a poorly run city. The city council sells out to developers and does nothing to make the city more exciting to tourists or to locals. The Railyard development is a perfect example. Massive development smack dab downtown where they could have done anything. I thought, why not add a world class tourist attraction, and give bay area drivers on their way to and from Lake Tahoe a reason to stop and play and maybe stay overnight.

Specifically, a wild west themed park would fit in well with Sacramento's gold rush history. Rides, shoot outs, wagons, forts, etc. Just one suggestion. I realize a western theme park might be completely passe in this woke climate of multiculturalism that it won't work. I am not suggesting I know the right tourist attraction.

How about a top tier water park instead of the rink-a-dink in Cal Expo?

How about an observation tower with a revolving restaurant like Seattle's. Would not have to be too tall or too expensive. Keep it in budget.

How about a beautiful garden for a tourist attraction?

Nope. Nothing but office, retail, high density residential for the Railyard project. Same old, same old BS. Same old idiotic Sacramento. Same old selling out to the Developers. Nothing new under the sun.

Sacramento will never be a top tier city. If it wasn't for the train museum in Old Sac, there wouldn't be anything to see in the City of Sacramento. They continue to screw it up. Stupid idiots.
I mostly agree with you, except that it's a lot easier to make suggestions than to make things happen -- as well as pick the "right" attraction that everyone can agree upon, and will also be successful.

Also, it's easy to knock boring office space, retail, and high density residential, but if these can increase the tax revenue for the city, this could help to make Sacramento better in other ways. It seems that there is a problem with the "unhoused" and crime that also need to be addressed, and maybe of a higher priority than another tourist attraction.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:52 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
Crime and homeless issues need to be addressed to make Sacramento a better place as well as fix the damn pot holes everywhere!

Quote:
Specifically, a wild west themed park would fit in well with Sacramento's gold rush history. Rides, shoot outs, wagons, forts, etc. Just one suggestion. I realize a western theme park might be completely passe in this woke climate of multiculturalism that it won't work. I am not suggesting I know the right tourist attraction.
We already have wild west shootouts like the mass gunfight downtown recently that left many dead.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:21 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
like this wild west shootout who needs a theme park?

https://www.kcra.com/article/latest-...dents/40199859

Old 06-06-2022, 04:43 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Crime and homeless issues need to be addressed to make Sacramento a better place as well as fix the damn pot holes everywhere!

We already have wild west shootouts like the mass gunfight downtown recently that left many dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
like this wild west shootout who needs a theme park?

https://www.kcra.com/article/latest-...dents/40199859
Wasn't this the forseeable consequence of the BLM riots? When protesters started going after police practices, the police responded by adopting highly defensive police practices that have the effect of slowing down response times, ie not getting out of patrol car until back ups or multiple back ups arrive. I don't actually blame the cops here, no one has their back here, so why should the cops stick their necks out? If criminals get away in the meantime, well if voters wamt tough on crime policies they can vote in candidates who back those policies but right now voters are voting in politicians who want to reduce time spent in jail, so this is a problem for voters to decide.

Old 06-13-2022, 10:00 AM

100 posts, read 280,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Wasn't this the forseeable consequence of the BLM riots? When protesters started going after police practices, the police responded by adopting highly defensive police practices that have the effect of slowing down response times, ie not getting out of patrol car until back ups or multiple back ups arrive. I don't actually blame the cops here, no one has their back here, so why should the cops stick their necks out? If criminals get away in the meantime, well if voters wamt tough on crime policies they can vote in candidates who back those policies but right now voters are voting in politicians who want to reduce time spent in jail, so this is a problem for voters to decide.
OK, for starters, the term "BLM Riots" is highly misleading. Around 95% of the protests around the country in the summer of 2020 were completely peaceful. Additionally, the violence that did happen, such as a security guard being fatally shot in Oakland, were later revealed to be the work of right-wing extremists using the cover of darkness to act a fool and try to make BLM look bad. I advise anyone reading this to revisit some instances of police grossly overreacting to protests in Philly and NYC, as well as the disgusting grandstanding which took place on the orders of the former President simply so he could pose with a bible.

The vast majority of those protesting had no interest in abolishing all law enforcement. They simply wanted cops held accountable when they committed misconduct, as Derek Chauvin clearly did in the death of George Floyd. Even Sacramento went through it recently with the death of Stephon Clark.

Old 06-13-2022, 10:30 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
If someone thinks murdering people indiscriminately is "police procedure," they want to live in a police state. No thanks. If the response of law enforcement is "blue flu" then we can use some of their funding to take over parts of their job that police aren't good at--such as providing social services to the unhoused or mediating domestic disputes, which would let police officers focus their resources and efforts on their core mission, which, it should be stated for the record, does not include the unlimited right to murder people of color for looking at them cross-eyed.

Anyhow, yeah, that post about wanting to build an "Old West theme park" with Wild West shootouts certainly hasn't aged well. As it turns out, those Westerns people watch on TV are not history shows--they portray a romanticized vision of what late 19th Century life was like, and historically they're about as accurate as watching "Lord of the Rings" and assuming it's a historical portrayal of medieval Europe.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:10 AM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballer0607 View Post
OK, for starters, the term "BLM Riots" is highly misleading. Around 95% of the protests around the country in the summer of 2020 were completely peaceful. Additionally, the violence that did happen, such as a security guard being fatally shot in Oakland, were later revealed to be the work of right-wing extremists using the cover of darkness to act a fool and try to make BLM look bad. I advise anyone reading this to revisit some instances of police grossly overreacting to protests in Philly and NYC, as well as the disgusting grandstanding which took place on the orders of the former President simply so he could pose with a bible.

The vast majority of those protesting had no interest in abolishing all law enforcement. They simply wanted cops held accountable when they committed misconduct, as Derek Chauvin clearly did in the death of George Floyd. Even Sacramento went through it recently with the death of Stephon Clark.
There was more than a billion dollars worth of damages due to looting, arson and rioting. Antifa set up exclusion zones in muliple cities where police were not allowed to enter. This went nightly rioting continued for months in multiple cities. But your right rioting is the wrong term here, let us call it what it was it was an insurrection and it should have been put down with force. Once the protests got violent, those committing violence should be prosecuted. I have no problem with the January 6 hearings and arrests. I just want all future insurrectionists held to this standard and I want this standard to apply to the people acting out in the BLM insurrection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If someone thinks murdering people indiscriminately is "police procedure," they want to live in a police state. No thanks. If the response of law enforcement is "blue flu" then we can use some of their funding to take over parts of their job that police aren't good at--such as providing social services to the unhoused or mediating domestic disputes, which would let police officers focus their resources and efforts on their core mission, which, it should be stated for the record, does not include the unlimited right to murder people of color for looking at them cross-eyed.

Anyhow, yeah, that post about wanting to build an "Old West theme park" with Wild West shootouts certainly hasn't aged well. As it turns out, those Westerns people watch on TV are not history shows--they portray a romanticized vision of what late 19th Century life was like, and historically they're about as accurate as watching "Lord of the Rings" and assuming it's a historical portrayal of medieval Europe.
The purpose of the BLM insurrection was to change police procedures. That happened. We are now dealing with the consequences of that. The more you defund the police and stop enforcing the law the more unlivable your city becomes. That was why Chesa Boudin was recalled in SF, the drug dealers were running amok and stores were closing due to all of the shoplifting that the junkies were doing to fund their addictions. But sure go ahead defund the police. Let us see how well that goes here.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:32 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Regarding the OP's first post.....Sacramento as a tourist destination......I'm wondering about the progress with the new Elk Grove Zoo....any forward progress on that...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento