Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:25 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,272,804 times

Advertisements

Great post Spencer...I really like Lincoln..very quaint, trains don't bother me, in fact they bring back memories of my childhood and living a block from the tracks...I can remember laying in bed as a little girl listening to the trains. That is a comforting sound to me. I don't know now as a old fogey how great that would be to have them in my backyard, but a few blocks away is fine...

The main problem with us buying in Lincoln Crossing, despite the low prices, are the high HOA fees. Something like $250 a month. We would not use those facilities, we are retired and like to swim and stuff once in a while, but I could see how nice that would be for families. Agreed tons of bank owned homes in Lincoln Crossing..and have to be careful there not to get in the backyard of the bypass.

We love the Twelve Bridges area, heard about the non existent high school, I would be irate too, but eventually it will turn around and the population will spike and the school will be built, maybe not in our lifetime, but..it is a nice area and I love the rolling hills, and no HOA's there.

We also like the Foskett Ranch area..our son has a fairly new townhome there at Paloma, it's very nice and his front door looks out onto the Vernal pools. Now, he hears the train, but does not bother him in the least. We have driven through the neighborhood there, no HOA's and nice, newer homes, some huge, some not huge, a good variety and tons for sale. somehow I think we will end up in Lincoln or Rocklin, up near Whitney h.s. or even Roseville, we are still trying to sell this albatross here in St. George, but when it happens we are coming home. We need to keep our cost to buy below $300,000 but i know we can do that...

Have you been to Old Town Pizza in old town lincoln? It's the best pizza around...delicious...no I don't own it or have a stake in it, I just think they are good lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:13 AM

58 posts, read 244,417 times
We are in Whitney Ranch and absolutely love it. We have great views of the Buttes and on clear days, we can see way out into the foothills and sometimes snow-capped Tahoe peaks as we drive around running errands. I also love our trains, it brings back memories sitting on grandma's porch way back when back east; we just need fireflies/lightning bugs in CA to make summer perfect!

In Whitney Ranch, the HOA dues are $74/month and that includes the new Ranch House and pool. I know that one of the builders here, Shea Homes, recently had a house-furnishing promo where they gave away $35k or so with the purchase of a new home to go towards furniture. We've also seen more builders willing to fully landscape backyards and provide other significant perks for buying. As we got here a year ago, our only regret is that prices are down even more than they were then, but we love it and plan on staying for a while.

Haven't tried Old Town Pizza yet, but will have to. I really miss the breadsticks at Pizza Factory in St. George, but do not miss much more, including that god-awful heat (110+ temps most of the summer is not liveable). We got lucky and sold our home in Green Springs in March '07, so I wish you much luck and success unloading yours. It's a shame because it's such a beautiful area, but I completely know how you feel being there.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerLV View Post
We are in Whitney Ranch and absolutely love it. We have great views of the Buttes and on clear days, we can see way out into the foothills and sometimes snow-capped Tahoe peaks as we drive around running errands. I also love our trains, it brings back memories sitting on grandma's porch way back when back east; we just need fireflies/lightning bugs in CA to make summer perfect!

In Whitney Ranch, the HOA dues are $74/month and that includes the new Ranch House and pool. I know that one of the builders here, Shea Homes, recently had a house-furnishing promo where they gave away $35k or so with the purchase of a new home to go towards furniture. We've also seen more builders willing to fully landscape backyards and provide other significant perks for buying. As we got here a year ago, our only regret is that prices are down even more than they were then, but we love it and plan on staying for a while.

Haven't tried Old Town Pizza yet, but will have to. I really miss the breadsticks at Pizza Factory in St. George, but do not miss much more, including that god-awful heat (110+ temps most of the summer is not liveable). We got lucky and sold our home in Green Springs in March '07, so I wish you much luck and success unloading yours. It's a shame because it's such a beautiful area, but I completely know how you feel being there.

Spencer, guess what, we are in Green Spring..We had an agent bring some clients through this morning...of course the all 'love it' haha...someone make me an offer please! I want out of here! I don't want to spend another summer here, and as it is, if it sold today, we would still have to pack it up in the heat. People don't understand how HOT it is..yeah it's dry, but like a blow dryer. And unlike Placer county, there is no delta breeze...

If you like the bread sticks at Pizza factory, you will LOVE the bread sticks at Old Town Pizza. To die for...I am not kidding..you need to get up there, if you go on a friday or saturday night and a group of twentysomethings are in there drinking their beer out of the pitcher, thats my son and his buds...lol. Actually, I think the owner made them stop that, but they still spend a lot of time there. You can't miss them, they are the loudest in the place..

All good wishes appreciated...we just withdrew the listing and relisted 20,000 lower. I am not even going to tell you what our asking is now...suffice it to say it is below what we paid in Oct. 2005. Makes me sick but that's the market and we can make it up on the buying end.

Stormy here today, 100 yesterday, 64 today...sand and red dirt blowing all over, yuk.

Barb

Old 05-21-2008, 12:20 PM

58 posts, read 244,417 times
Dogmom,

At least you can get beer at Old Town Pizza! ;-)

Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Ha! You're right...REAL beer....now that made me chuckle...this state is so wierd...lol

Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 AM

222 posts, read 862,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
The main problem with us buying in Lincoln Crossing, despite the low prices, are the high HOA fees. Something like $250 a month.
$250 month for HOA fees is absolutely outrageous. Our HOA fee is $70 a year (just for basic maintenance as there's no community pool, et al) in Boise, ID.

Have an old friend (works at HP) who lives in rural Lincoln (Fruitvale Rd near Hungry Hollow Rd jct) plus my wife's erstwhile Hewlett-Packard boss lives off Twelve Bridges Dr.

Lincoln used to be more of a small farming town with just a few stores until the retirement communities were developed followed by residential housing tracts.

We've seen small towns up here in Southwest Idaho such as Kuna, Middleton, and others follow the exact same path as Lincoln has.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 17,512 times
Just to set the record straight, I live in Lincoln Crossing and the HOA fees are $115 per month currently. After the community is built out, it will drop somewhat. We have a very nice community center/clubhouse w/ a lap pool, a zero-entry kids pool, a water play area, spa, fitness center, meeting facilities, and a teen center. Lincoln Crossing has a nice shopping area with home Depot, Target, Panera Bread, Chili's, PetSmart, etc. that we can walk to.
Lincoln Crossing Elementary opened this year and our kids can ride their bikes to this beautiful new school.
Lincoln Crossing is a very nice place to live, and there are some great buys here now in all price ranges.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP98 View Post
Just to set the record straight, I live in Lincoln Crossing and the HOA fees are $115 per month currently. After the community is built out, it will drop somewhat. We have a very nice community center/clubhouse w/ a lap pool, a zero-entry kids pool, a water play area, spa, fitness center, meeting facilities, and a teen center. Lincoln Crossing has a nice shopping area with home Depot, Target, Panera Bread, Chili's, PetSmart, etc. that we can walk to.
Lincoln Crossing Elementary opened this year and our kids can ride their bikes to this beautiful new school.
Lincoln Crossing is a very nice place to live, and there are some great buys here now in all price ranges.
Oh I guess I had heard wrong, my son's friend and wife just bought in Lincoln Crossing and thought he said he had two HOA's he paid, his neighborhood and then the Lincoln Crossing one....115 is not bad then if that's all it is..it is a very nice neighborhood and I would definitely consider moving there if the hoa is that low, then...

We like the Twelve Bridges area, too, no hoa at all....but then if you want the facilities, Lincoln Crossing.. Both very nice areas..

Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM

71 posts, read 329,845 times
The HOA's do vary by community. Some aren't so bad, others are atrocious. I showed a house yesterday at 790 Courtyards Loop where the HOA's are $231 per month! That amount of money could buy you a house for about $40k more in a place like Twelve Bridges where there aren't any HOA's. Additionally, the interest portion of the monthly payment would be tax deductible, whereas HOA dues are not. As a real estate agent, I accept that some people don't mind paying their HOA's, and many enjoy the benefits that come along with them. But on a personal level, I prefer to use the money that would be paid to an HOA on my own private pool, and entertain in my own home, and take the tax write-off. It all comes down to preferences. IMHO, buyers just need to be aware that there may be HOA's in Lincoln (or any other city, for that matter), and decide whether the benefits equal or outweigh the costs.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 AM

That's a great thought..yes I would rather have my own pool and entertain..when we lived in socal we had a pool and so many wonderful memories of parties...but if my kids were still young and at home I could see the attraction of the community pool and activities. We have a community clubhouse here where we are in Southern Utah, it's small no where near what Lincoln Crossing is, about 300 homes use it. I hardly ever see anyone there, but then I am not a sun worshipper and I don't play tennis..our HOA is $75 a month and that includes use of the clubhouse AND basic cable. Deal, huh? But I would prefer in our next home to not have an HOA...and I would rather have Direct TV, but won't pay for that since we get the cable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento