U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:38 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,736,984 times

Advertisements

I know - it's WAY out there, but since it's built up a bit it's not like as bad as it was back in 2000.

SO why is it that cheap? Bad schools? I thought it was a pretty nice area last time I looked.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 04:25 PM

8,376 posts, read 15,229,045 times
Suppy and demand. Too many houses and not enough people who want to buy them.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 PM

202 posts, read 495,200 times
I know that some of the newer developments have some insane mello-roos amounts, though. As in, hundreds of dollars per month.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:51 PM

890 posts, read 2,650,787 times
Yeah, they over-built in Lincoln during the boom, and now it's Bust City! Also, Lincoln was slow to catch up to the growth with infrastructure improvements. The schools have been getting better, though.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 PM

8,545 posts, read 9,589,417 times
We like Lincoln...it's got a lot of history...coming back to CA we can about pay cash for a home there if we decide on Lincoln..out son lives in a nearly new townhouse in Foskett Ranch, very nice.

I think the problem with Lincoln is it built up too fast, too many buyers with sub par loans and lots of foreclosures. And some of the newer 'communities' do have huge HOA and mello roos fees.

But it is close to Roseville, and like I said, it has a lot of history, which makes it interesting..

Gee..20 years ago we called it 'stinkin lincoln' because of the dump I guess...no smell there anymore that I have been able to detect, anyway..

Old 05-18-2008, 12:12 AM

890 posts, read 2,650,787 times
Where are you living now, dogmom? And, if I may ask, why don't you like it? Just curious about people who have left the Sacramento region, and if they'd like to come back, or are they glad they left

Old 05-18-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Where are you living now, dogmom? And, if I may ask, why don't you like it? Just curious about people who have left the Sacramento region, and if they'd like to come back, or are they glad they left
It's a long story...we are originally from SoCal, born, raised, raised our 2 sons there, hubby retired and I got sick with a chronic disease in 2003, sold our home there, and in 2004 moved to Newcastle. Hubby's brother and family had lived in Newcastle for 30 years we always loved it and we decided to buy a home with some land. Ended up with 3 acres but bought at the height of the boom..we bought it with the idea that my parents would sell their home in Palm Springs and move up there with us. the place we found had an awesome garage attached to the house we planned to turn into a large living and bedroom for them.

Well, we got up there, I found a job I loved (at a junior high in the library, loved it) and was well enough for the most part for the 30 hours a week i worked. Well, not sure what happened, parents did not sell the house in OUR time frame, we were up over our heads and getting more behind every month. Hubby is disabled so could not work as he planned to do something part time. All good ideas, but they fell apart. Mom suggested we consider the St. George, UT area since it was closer to SoCal (we have our lifetime friends and one son still there). so we bought a place here in Washington City, just outside of St. George, we are an hour and a half from Las Vegas, we are barely 10 miles inside the Utah border for what it's worth, but it's still Utah Folks sold their home, moved in here with us. They were here for 2.5 years, about 2 years too long...well it just did not work out, they ended up buying a place in palm springs area and left here in January. My brother is there if they need help.

Anyway, we hate it here. We are not the predominant religion and it's brutal. It's about 30 years backwards, behind from CA. We are Californians that's all there is to it. House is now way too big for us and we are struggling with the payment. Can't seem to get it sold, have been on the market since September, and have made the mistake, I guess, of dropping the price...that's a whole other discussion, check out the real estate forum.

Anyway, our younger son lives in Lincoln, he is getting married next year, we still have family in Placer county and we just want to GO HOME. Yes we only lived there briefly, but no where has ever seemed so much like home to me.
We plan to buy a small home, hoping to pay nearly cash or low payment so we can enjoy our retirement and travel.

We need all the good wishes and prayers we can get to sell this place so we can come HOME. There is no place like California, and I strongly suggest that anyone thinking of leaving CA, please rent in your new state before you buy. It's not the same anywhere else, it just isn't. Be careful what you wish for...

This is the wierdest place we have ever been...I can't even tell you..i could write a book

Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 AM

168 posts, read 841,308 times
Does anybody know what is going on with the highway 65 bypass? Like where it will be and what is the time frame for when it will be finished?

Lincoln will be much improved without 65 going through the middle of it.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:22 AM

Jennifer, I believe they are starting to work on it soon...I think you can go to the Placer County website and find out the info..

Old 05-19-2008, 12:38 PM

58 posts, read 226,424 times
CityGirl72,

Ditto what everyone else mentioned, Lincoln is cheap now because of too many houses on the market. You can check out sacbee's online foreclosure map, focus on Lincoln Crossing, and you'll see what I mean. If you can afford to, it's a great time to be a buyer interested in Lincoln.

I do know the city has major financial problems, living large and spending irresponsibly when the housing market was booming, and now they're having to dip into their emergency fund to make up for budgetary shortfalls. Like surrounding counties, Placer County is required to reassess homes in the area, and as expected, many home values will be much less than what they've been. That will, I'm sure, continue to contribute to the financial woes of the city. Case in point, a lot of the residents of Twelve Bridges purchased there on the promise that the city was supposed to build a state-of-the-art high school (on the same level as Whitney High just a couple of miles away in Rocklin). The city no longer has funds to do that, so you can imagine how irate some people are.

As for someone's mention of the smell from the dump, having been here just over a year now (we're in Rocklin), we notice it most during winter along the Fairway Dr corridor in Roseville, as well as the Thunder Valley vicinity. Also, we're about 3 miles from the railroad tracks, but we can still hear the distant sound of trains every once in a while. While it sounds quaint for us, I can imagine how loud it is in Lincoln Crossing, having been in downtown Lincoln a few times right by the tracks.

All in all, Lincoln is very safe, still trying very hard to attract businesses and upgrade its infrastructure (funding for the Hwy 65 bypass came through in Feb), and has some good potential, e.g. a Trader Joe's in coming in sometime in the near future, on 65 as you enter downtown Lincoln. I also just heard some builders will be starting new phases in Lincoln Crossing (I thought that development was built out, but apparently not), so I think it will be poised to do well if it survives the budget crunch and holds steady till the markets come back, which they inevitably do in CA.

Finally, if you're considering Lincoln, you should also look in Rocklin. That much closer to Roseville amenities, great infrastructure and schools, and no budgetary crisis that I'm aware of. Hope this helps.

Article on the Hwy 65 bypass:
CTC grants final Highway 65 bypass funds - Lincoln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento