Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 39,593 times

Advertisements

Howdy Sac area people,

I live in Houston and my wife and daugther are booring to death here. They are more used with an urban style life . I work for a company where part of my working group - including my manager - is in Roseville. Now we are planning to relocate to Roseville and we would like to have some tips and advices regarding the best places to live there (low crime, good college, shopping, good apartments and etc).

Thank you in advance for any suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 27,420 times
AFAIK, it depends on if you want to rent an apt. or own a house... West Roseville has a lot of newer homes & subdivisions are still being built. However, it's getting closer to Antelope & North Highlands, which probably has more crime. Heading East, you go toward older Roseville & some newer, more industrial & commercial construction & that's where a lot of the newer apartments are located... Try asking on http://www.sacforums.com & you might get more info...

Old 11-09-2006, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 39,593 times
Talking We are looking for apartments or Town House

Thank ya for the tips pal,

Actually we are looking for an apartment or townhouse for rent. I need to make sure the girls will adapt to the place before doing the monstruous investment in any realstate in CA (The prices there comparing with Houston are from outspace!!!). We are looking for a nice place but near from the city attractions and shopping places. Any more tips will be very welcomed.

See ya!

Old 11-16-2006, 08:36 PM

13 posts, read 101,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altexblue View Post
Thank ya for the tips pal,

Actually we are looking for an apartment or townhouse for rent. I need to make sure the girls will adapt to the place before doing the monstruous investment in any realstate in CA (The prices there comparing with Houston are from outspace!!!). We are looking for a nice place but near from the city attractions and shopping places. Any more tips will be very welcomed.

See ya!
I live in Roseville and am currently a high school student here. There are a lot of apartments and condominiums off Gibson Dr and Roseville Pkwy, just north of the mall. The mall is the largest in Greater Sacramento and attracts people from all over the area. Also, just on the other side of Highway 65, there are a few new complexes being built as well. I have been living in Roseville for almost 4 years. It is one of the nicest cities I've lived in. It's very safe, clean, and we have great school system. One drawback to Roseville is that it is very suburban. The suburban sprawl has almost gotten out of control, of course that is true of almost any city in the state.

I hope this helps you in making a decision. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
Hehe...Im moving to Ft Worth But you might also check out Rocklin. The regional mall there is great. Housing is expensive by any standards and has increased a bunch just the last few years. Actually I think the mall is technically "Roseville".

Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 AM

14 posts, read 95,892 times
Default roseville the cigerate bowl

hi everyone. i just moved to roseville 6mos ago from santa rosa. i personally have not be to happy with the fact the sky surrounding roseville is always gray. yuk. im not used to seeing dirty air. i dont much like it. We are planning on moving when the school year ends. i have a ds 6 and dd 8, so i want them to finish out the year. we plan to move to florida. im hoping the air there will be cleaner. ca in general is getting gross with the air quality. one thing id like to ask all you rosevillians are you familier with the rail yard emmissions. i have read alot about the emmissions that the rail yard is putting into the envirorment. they say its causing cancer and lung problems. i have noticed there seems to be alot of children that have cancer in roseville. i thought it was just me, but after some investigation the rail yard is causing some really bad pollutions. i called the air control center in auburn and they confermed that. they say theres not much that can be done because they cant stop running the trains. so i quess peoples lives are not as important as goods and services. personally i think if theres no people, whos going to buy the goods and services. i relize the train will not stop but you'd think they find a way to run the trains on something other than cancer causing pollutions. anyway i hope no one is offended by my post. i just had to let that out. i really wonder how meny people know about this, and would they care. okay cant wait to hear from you all.

teresa36

Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 AM

Well...I grew up in Roseville and most of my family worked on the Railroad and some still do. We don't know anyone that has had cancer. Roseville is in the valley. The air clears then the delta breezes come in or when it rains.

Roseville and the railroad has always been here...it is part of our history and culture. You should have done your research before you moved out here. Sounds to me like you are more of a beach person than a valley person. Good luck to you in your move to Florida.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:36 PM

14 posts, read 95,892 times
Default tell me what you think

guingirl, thanks for the reply. im not trying to upset anyone, especially people who have lived in roseville all there live. just concerned. i would like your oppion on the information ive found. http://www.sactaqc.org/resources/lit...ville_yard.htm another site is www.lungsanddiego.org/environment/article_good_movement.asp (broken link) another site is www.partnersforchildren.org/bulletins/pchebulletin8-16-06.html (broken link) (when you go to this site go to bulletins, then august 16, 2006, then #5 attention to locomotives emissions renewed

let me know what you think

i did do research on roseville before i moved here. but never relized how dirty the air was until i actually moved in and lived here a while. anyway let me know what you think, love to know your oppinion.

teresa36

Old 12-09-2006, 08:19 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
Default just the facts

teresa36 is correct. There was a comprehensive study done recently, the first of its kind, on how much pollution the railroad puts out, measuring and estimating health risks from diesel particulate matter, a known carcinogen. The study found out that depending which way the wind blows, the risk can be very high. This study was done by CARB, a state pollution agency in conjunction with Union Pacific railroad and other local agencies.

Guingirl, I know many people who have gotten cancer and live near the railyard. Specifically, lung cancer, and these people do not smoke. The trouble is, there is no data kept by health agencies that can correlate health risks with pollution. Isn't that odd? and I'm not just talking about here, I mean anywhere. They just don't do those types of studies that identify a high risk area, and then find out if there is a cancer cluster.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:45 PM

You know...if you look hard enough to find something bad...you will.

If its that bad, then you need to bring it to the City Council and Gina Garbolino's attention as City Mayor. I think you will find it a tough nut to crack though seeing as the Railroad has always been the backbone of this area.

Good luck though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento