U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 PM

7 posts, read 33,181 times

Advertisements

Just got an apartment in Sac for the job, and don't really want to shell out a bunch of money to get cable. Can you get basic tv stations in Sac WITHOUT cable or a dish network? I just want the basic ones - CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC if possible.

Have a newer tv, and can get rabbit ears if necessary.

thanks...

jb
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 PM

74 posts, read 329,223 times
Absolutely! Rabbit ears will work.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:43 AM

8,399 posts, read 15,267,816 times
uh yeah, we've had our own broadcast TV stations here for about fifty or sixty years...

Old 05-22-2008, 10:49 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,754,262 times
Remember in Feb 2009 TVs with rabbit ears or antenna will not work anymore - everything is going to digital

But I saw if you have a computer there's no need to have TV if you don't want to

Old 05-22-2008, 02:10 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,597,334 times
to save money you can watch DVD's and listen to local news on the radio

Old 05-22-2008, 03:04 PM

424 posts, read 2,541,188 times
You can also get sattelite TV through either DirecTV or Dish Network. I like DirecTV better. Better service and more selection in channels. Plus they have the exclusive on the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 PM

810 posts, read 2,463,467 times
Default You might think about a dish

Sacramento has all the network affiliates represented locally. I've been receiving digital TV for around three years and the reception is acceptably good, however, I live only about 12 miles from the digital transmission towers in Walnut Grove. If you'll be possibly living in the outskirts like you've mentioned, you'll need to purchase a larger outdoor antenna to capture those signals. My co-worker lives in Auburn, (about 35 miles northeast of downtown in the foothills), and he became so frustrated with the weakness of the region's digital signals that he finally gave up and subscribed to DishNetwork. Sacramento is in a unique location geographically. It is in between two DMAs (San Francisco and Reno) so therefore, the wattage output of the local stations is restricted by the FCC in order to prevent interference with Reno or Bay Area television broadcasts. Because of this, the region has historically suffered from poor television reception. The volatile nature of the digital tv transmission (either you get a picture or you don't) will only complicate reception issues for outlying areas.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 AM

261 posts, read 1,254,323 times
I live in N. Natomas and don't have cables. We get a bunch of channels; enough and it's free!

ABC 10
CBS 13
CW 31
FOX 40
WB 58
NBC 3 This comes in the worst for us
PBS 6 sometimes
MTV3 Spanish MTV
A couple other Spanish Channels
Something on ch 29 - can't remember

Plenty. Then you can go online and watch a bunch of shows if you have DSL or faster service. It's the cheap way, and I don't really miss having cable.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:44 AM

7 posts, read 33,181 times
Default thanks!!!

Ah, bunny ears. Something from waaaay in my past. But it gets at LEAST 4 channels for free! Thanks to everyone who posted about getting tv in Sac sans cable...

jb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento