Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2022, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,943 times

Advertisements

Vanakkam,
We are planning to move from pleasanton to elk grove.
WE have 3 kids. So looking for a family neighborhood preferably with indian community and good rated schools. Your response would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 01:45 PM

413 posts, read 538,706 times
There isn't one Indian community but rather a series of Indian communities dispersed in the area and that might be useful for keeping in mind for shopping for ethnic goods.

Along Northgate Blvd in South Natomas, there are a bunch of Indian shops often ran by an Indian immigrant community from Fiji. Additionally, out in West Sac, most of the older Hotels are owned by Indians and now there are some restaurants and shops also catering to Indians out there. That said the schools in both of these areas aren't that great but might be useful nevertheless for shopping or just getting a bite to eat.

Apple had a factory out in Elk Grove, Intel still has a factory in Folsom and HP has a facility out in Roseville. All of these places attracted software/hardware engineers including from India, so you can also find a fair number of restaurants and stores and shops catering to these folks out there as well.

In general housing is a little cheaper in Elk Grove vs Roseville and Folsom, but the schools also aren't quite as good in Elk Grove compared to Roseville and Folsom. So, if you are concerned primarily about schools, you may prefer Roseville or Folsom over Elk Grove. One other area to look at might be Anatolia and more generally the other housing developments off Grantline Road between Folsom and Sunrise Blvd. This area is also getting a quite a few East Asian immigrants mostly commuting to Folsom/El Dorado Hills. The schools are still very good, but housing is cheaper than Folsom proper, but shopping for ethnic goods might be done in Folsom or elsewhere.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:12 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,626,425 times
Indians and South Asians in general, while growing in number, are fairly dispersed throughout the Sacramento Metro area. They comprise different Indian sub-cultures such as the Indo-Fijian community as was mentioned by Damnitjanet, Punjabi-Sikh community, and other communities of Indians from various parts of the sub-continent. Anecdotally speaking, my dentist is from India and he and his family live in Folsom. As far as Elk Grove is concerned, there are several Indian markets along Bruceville Road, west of Highway 99. So, if you're looking at Elk Grove, the area around Bruceville Road would be a good start.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:24 PM

478 posts, read 677,135 times
Folsom and Elk Grove are great for those looking for a lot of Indians. They have a very prominent Indian community in those 2 places. I have noticed a lot of Indians who have moved/purchased in the new homes south of 50 in Folsom. I don't see much Indians in Roseville, and it's more republican and conservative there and higher prone to being a subject of being a person of color in placer county compared to sacramento county which is more liberal and democratic. I have found Indian friends prefer either Elk Grove or Folsom more.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:42 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,414,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
Folsom and Elk Grove are great for those looking for a lot of Indians. They have a very prominent Indian community in those 2 places. I have noticed a lot of Indians who have moved/purchased in the new homes south of 50 in Folsom. I don't see much Indians in Roseville, and it's more republican and conservative there and higher prone to being a subject of being a person of color in placer county compared to sacramento county which is more liberal and democratic. I have found Indian friends prefer either Elk Grove or Folsom more.
Please stop with the "all Republicans are racist" trope. I've run into a lot of racist comments at my job--and they're all from Democrats.

Can we just stick with the Indian communities and best schools please?

To the OP, I've heard good things about the schools in Folsom. Elk Grove has a lot of new schools due to their growth, so hopefully someone else has some experience with their quality.

San Juan Unified (North area, Citrus Heights) is not what it used to be.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:38 PM

4,026 posts, read 4,410,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post

Sacramento's Indian population seems to be a combination of both Central Valley Punjabi Sikhs and more recent tech workers. I don't think there is really an enclave.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:16 PM

576 posts, read 490,931 times
Elk Grove resident here. If you are looking at Elk Grove. I would suggest the neighborhoods that feed into Pleasant Grove, Franklin, and Cosumnes High Schools. Pleasant Grove High and feeder schools is probably much closer to what you would be used to in Pleasanton, in terms of quality. Franklin and Cosumnes would probably more like Livermore or Dublin type schools.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:45 PM

467 posts, read 773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Please stop with the "all Republicans are racist" trope. I've run into a lot of racist comments at my job--and they're all from Democrats.

Can we just stick with the Indian communities and best schools please?

To the OP, I've heard good things about the schools in Folsom. Elk Grove has a lot of new schools due to their growth, so hopefully someone else has some experience with their quality.

San Juan Unified (North area, Citrus Heights) is not what it used to be.
That's not at all what they said. It's just a fact that more conservative cultures, no matter where they are in the world or what other group pretends to represent them, they tend to be less inclusive of others to varying degrees. Doesn't mean you can't get along with them just fine. There's nothing to argue about and there's no hidden message.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:50 AM

576 posts, read 490,931 times
Roseville has had a reputation for it's conservative bigots, since forever. It was worse 20 years ago. But it is still there. Roseville was MAGA, before MAGA was MAGA. Even to this day the schools make the news for racist incidents.

Oakmont High last year had student that made a racist video on social media, with the N word. The student ended up getting her arse kicked a week later by another girl. And the local parents showed up and complained at the school board meeting. Not because of the racist incident, but because they were mad the white girl got beat up.

And this is not the first time Roseville High Schools have had these type of "incidents". It's nothing personal, but there is a reason most minorities opt for Elk Grove over Roseville. Or if at a higher price point skip Roseville all together for Folsom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento