Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 04:01 PM

6,888 posts, read 8,265,684 times

Advertisements

The Sacramento Reagan Mansion on the market for 5 million!!

Rumor has it when they moved in the neighbors were crying there goes the neighbor! Time to move! Just Kidding!
.....likely today the locals would protest and demand they move....Just kidding!

Note that the "fire trap" mansion is the old Victorian Mansion on 16th Street which has since been restored into an historic landmark with tours (pre-covid).

The mansion for sale is NOT the "fire trap" mansion, located on 45th Street.

Neither are "fire traps" now :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ae4jMHqXog

https://www.kcra.com/article/reagan-...llion/40317502
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 04:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ae4jMHqXog

Old 07-07-2022, 05:22 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,023,110 times
I wouldn't pay 5mm to live in Sacramento!

Old 07-07-2022, 05:41 PM

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people that will pay that much to live in Sacramento.....certainly for that mansion.

I wouldn't pay 1 million to live in Florida.....maybe for $50,000 :-)

Old 07-10-2022, 11:05 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,568,462 times
I’d rather have a beachfront place in San Diego or Florida for that much scratch.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:43 PM

4,026 posts, read 3,303,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
I’d rather have a beachfront place in San Diego or Florida for that much scratch.
But this is also what had made Sacramento unique. Because of the large base of government workers and the fact that the wealthy tend to relocate this area has a much larger share of the population that is middle class. and you didn't have these huge disparities in income like along the coast. In the Oakland Hills, you have these tech titans and in West Oakland, you have this high concentration of poverty, but what you don't have is much of a middle class. Similiarly in LA, you have the wealthy in the Hollywood Hills and the destitute in South Central, but there wasn't much of a middle class.

But I think going forward the area likely is going to get more like Coastal California. "Smart growth" is making housing more unaffordible. The poor will be protected with subsidized housing, but the middle class is increasingly being pushed out.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
The poor will be protected with subsidized housing, but the middle class is increasingly being pushed out.
I looked at a brand new downtown "Gay Senior Housing" building 5-7 story structure, very nice, with a garden, secure parking, community room, not sure if it had a rooftop garden/community area too. We were inquiring for a gay-senior-disabled friend of ours.

Rent: Only $535-$732/mo.....I'm guessing market rate is around $1,300 to $2,300....considering it is brand new, new appliances, etc.

Income limits: $22,225 to $39,160/yr....most of these folks also usually get every other type of "assistance" programs as well.
For example, so I'm told, that if you have an SNAP-EBT card (food stamps) you can use it to get into any museum across the country for free! I have not confirmed if this is true or not.

Is it the tax payer that is indirectly/directly subsidizing the reminder of the rent? Who actually owns the building and land?

Nearly half of the units (24) are reserved for folks coming out of homelessness, and these units are considered PERMANENT supportive housing....so they will get that rent for life...or near it.

The management appeared to be professional and courteous, but while looking at the units a resident came out of her unit and starting screaming profanities and political slurs at the three of us.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-12-2022 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-13-2022, 10:01 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,278,163 times
Most seniors get Social Security, which is indeed one of those "assistance" programs, and generally senior housing is aimed at the price point of those whose incomes come from Social Security and/or a pension. Wealthy seniors generally have many more housing options available to them, and projects like Lavender Courtyard are an attempt to address the issue of housing insecurity among seniors with limited incomes, specifically addressing that many LGBT+ seniors have additional difficulty finding senior housing without discrimination. I assume your friend, who is disabled, may get their income from one of those programs?

The project required a gaggle of funding sources, which is common for affordable housing--a combination of private foundation contributions, tax credits, and state programs intended to facilitate affordable family housing helped pay the "gap" between what low-income rents were expected to provide and the cost of construction and maintenance. The property is owned by Mutual Housing California, an affordable housing developer. So part is taxpayer funded, part is private contribution. Part of the reason why affordable housing can be so expensive and take so long to build is the necessity of patching together funding streams from multiple places, which can take years, adding cost and complexity.

Apartments are generally considered "permanent housing" in that there is no maximum time limit for living in an apartment, differentiated from "transitional housing" which generally has an end date. People need housing their whole lives, and considering that we're talking about a program for seniors here, that's the stage of life where one becomes less independent and able to pursue a career, rather than more--and of course, for an older person, "lifetime" is a shorter amount of time.

Not sure how much interaction you have with older folks, but one of the cruel things about age is that you often lose both physical and mental faculties. It's also a great and horrible equalizer, with these deficits and losses coming to everyone regardless of social or economic status. Considering that many on this forum (and others) occasionally note the unfortunate situation of unhoused people doing that sort of thing on the street, with the suggestion that our cities might be considered more considerate and civil if that behavior was carried out indoors, I'd interpret the interaction you had as a success.

The program that allows those with EBT cards to get into museums is called Museums For All, it's a voluntary national program intended to encourage museum access to those who would normally never be able to attend them, especially facilitating the children of those with limited incomes to learn a love of museums and learning, and encourage better educational outcomes for those families. About 900 museums across the country participate, so it's certainly not every museum: locally, the California Museum, Crocker, Sacramento History Museum, and Children's Museum are participants, and the program is about 7-8 years old. When I was still doing social work, folks on Social Security were generally not eligible for EBT as they could pay for food with their Social Security income, but since that amount is so low and the prices of things is so high, I think in California there are conditions where someone on Social Security or SSI can get food stamps. Also having some background in museum volunteering, it's a very common activity for seniors, both volunteering and visiting, that facilitates social activity and helps people stay mentally aware and healthy.

https://museums4all.org/

Old 08-17-2022, 03:05 PM

579 posts, read 512,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I wouldn't pay 5mm to live in Sacramento!
You would if the paycheck that got you the house was coming from Sacramento.

Old 08-17-2022, 03:18 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I looked at a brand new downtown "Gay Senior Housing" building 5-7 story structure, very nice, with a garden, secure parking, community room, not sure if it had a rooftop garden/community area too. We were inquiring for a gay-senior-disabled friend of ours.

Rent: Only $535-$732/mo.....I'm guessing market rate is around $1,300 to $2,300....considering it is brand new, new appliances, etc.

Income limits: $22,225 to $39,160/yr....most of these folks also usually get every other type of "assistance" programs as well.
For example, so I'm told, that if you have an SNAP-EBT card (food stamps) you can use it to get into any museum across the country for free! I have not confirmed if this is true or not.

Is it the tax payer that is indirectly/directly subsidizing the reminder of the rent? Who actually owns the building and land?

Nearly half of the units (24) are reserved for folks coming out of homelessness, and these units are considered PERMANENT supportive housing....so they will get that rent for life...or near it.

The management appeared to be professional and courteous, but while looking at the units a resident came out of her unit and starting screaming profanities and political slurs at the three of us.

SF has a BMR (below market rate) program. I think is not the same as low income housing though. I never heard of a Gay Specific below market rate though in SF. Since I am not in that demographic, it is not something I would be trying to find out if it existed. The rents listed on the webpage below are the current offerings and supposedly BMR.....

https://housing.sfgov.org/listings/for-rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento