Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 10:24 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times

Advertisements

The smoke moved into Reno last night and our air quality has been around 160 ever since. Because I have asthma I am staying inside. This has been our best summer in a long time in regard to fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 10:34 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
All things considered the air was pretty good today. On purple air it is below 50 in most of the region with lots of scores in the teens, twenties and thirthies. I got out for a bike ride, it was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Told you, you jinxed it.
I probably did jinx it, but the air is good today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellwouldyoulookatthat View Post
I'm contemplating a move to Sacramento and I do worry about this. I dont want to be in a city that has poor air quality on a semi-regular basis due to fires and smoke. Sigh
The smoke from the wildfires is a relatively new problem, we have had some issues this year, but things were much worse last year and the year before. Part of the problem is the drought and climate change, part of the problem is long term forest mismanagement catching up with us. The fires in the past two years though did actually get rid of a bunch of the overgrowth in the forest. Not the ideal way to manage the problem, but I think the previous two really bad fire seasons are part of the reason why year three of the drought isn't as bad this year, the past two fire seasons burned up a lot of the fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Southern states like Georgia and Florida have controlled burns to prevent wildfires. California is way behind the times.
The fires are now a big enough political problem where I think the momentum toward allowing more controlled burns over the objections of nimbys is more likely to happen. Yes water is wet and California is mismanaged. The rural areas don't have any clout because they lean right, so ideas like managing the forests better with more logging and controlled burns weren't getting much traction with the greenies. But I think the fires and the smoke are rearranging the political landscape. The progressives want more renewable energy and that is going to require a lot more transmission lines through fire prone regions, so something has to give.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:42 PM

It has been windy for the past several days, but containment on the Mosquito fire is now at the time I am writing this up to 20%, that is double from 10% containment since September 11th when I last checked. So I am pleased about that.

The air is not as quite as good today as yesterday, but the air is still not that bad. More readings in the high forties and low fifties on purple air with some areas near Roseville and Rocklin in the mid twenties. So I will say so far the air has held up much better in Sacramento this fire season vs the last two.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:02 AM

As of about an hour ago, Calfire said the Mosquito fire is now 39% contained. So the rain is doing its magic and we should still have some rain in the area later on.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:48 PM

They just released the operational update for the Mosquito Fire, it looks like they think official containment is going to grow rapidly in the next several days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVDslcurw3Y

Old 09-21-2022, 10:19 PM

580 posts, read 513,929 times
How is that thing even still going after all that rain?!

Old 09-21-2022, 11:16 PM

I was curious about that myself but I heard a guy on one of the Calfire videos talk about this. The rain gets the grass and brush wet and that puts out the fire on those surfaces. But fire can burn inside a tree and even into the root system and these are spaces where rain doesn't always get into these spots, so the fire can keep burning in these spaces even during the rain. These also become spaces where the fire can then re-establish itself later when area starts to dry out again.

The other thing that I though was interesting is that containment of a fire doesn't mean that the fire is out. Containment just means that they have built a perimeter around the fire that they don't think the fire can jump. At the time I am writing this post, containment currently is 49%. Containment is proceeding pretty rapidly right now because buildings aren't actively being threatened, so they can devote more resources to just building out the containment lines. The other thing though that can make containment tough to achieve is that some of these containment lines need to go down steep hills to get at the various forks of the American River or other streams and rivers that feed into the American River, so the terrain is just pretty difficult. It also isn't enough to clear the forest floor, you need to make sure the fire can't jump from the crown of one tree to another tree and doing this on pretty steep hills in the back country is tough work.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/20...mosquito-fire/

Old 09-22-2022, 10:27 AM

The good news is that they lifted the evacuation orders for of the people affected by the fire. I was hoping the rain would put an end to the smoke in Sacramento, but it's back. Containment might be up to 60% as of this morning, but the fire still isn't out and the breeze is pushing the smoke toward us today.

Old 09-23-2022, 04:24 PM

415 posts, read 545,870 times
The smoke from the fire seems to be done. Amen!

Old 09-27-2022, 05:20 PM

The Mosquito Fire is now 85% contained. The fire has been handed off from Cal Fire to the National Forest Service. They are now removing excess equipment off this fire. They believe that there is a minimal chance this fire will get beyond their containment lines and now its mostly a mop up operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWM-Gh0BgJI

So I am thinking we have likely seen the worse of the fire season this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento