Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 06:20 PM

9 posts, read 34,431 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a 19 year old college student who lives in Bakersfield. I am currently attending a community college in hopes to transfer in about a year and a half. I want to move outside the city move north. I'm thinking about moving to Sacramento, but I've heard that it's a bad city. I've also thought about moving to Fresno. I want to move to a city that is diverse and more liberal than conservative. I know San Francisco is out because of the cost of living and Oakland is far to dangerous. So I want a place to where I can get a apartment for around $600. I should mention that I want a career in Law Enforcement so some good police agencies would be good. What are your suggestions stick to Sacramento or are there any other good cities? And tell me why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:55 PM

111 posts, read 466,269 times
Hmmm...Not sure how I feel about this post. First why is sac a "bad city" thats very very vague. No way you'll find an apt in a good part of town for 600. You severly believe in the sterotypes that comes along with cities I see. Shouldn't do that, check out the cities yourself first. Have you ever been to Oakland? It isn't the safest, but not all parts of oakland are "far too dangerous" wtf.....Sac is really diverse. Still got the mix of liberals and conservatives tho. Lots of sac natives who are stuck in the 80's. So should you stick to sacramento or are there any other "good cities"?. A good city to me is the beach, chaotic nightlife & huge city skylines. Sac has none of those. So to me, no it isnt. If you're going for a smaller city feel with a little nightlife, smaller pace then sac may be for you. The only real city trait sac has is its traffic...lol...

why jus those four cities? what about monterey, san jose, santa cruz, santa rosa...?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 34,431 times
Woogex, well people have told me different things about Sacramento. For example, Sacramento is dirty, the people are rude, the traffic sucks, those are the things I've heard about the city. I've known someone who lived in Oakland that said the city was dangerous. I know not all parts are dangerous like any other city. Which neighborhoods aren't dangerous? I have no idea. I never said Sac wasn't diverse, and that was one of the good parts I've heard about the city.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,054 times
South Sacramento is dangerous and dirty and etc etc etc

But he rest of it is quite nice, plus ALL the people are quite friendly - friendliest I've met!

YOu are only 19, when you get older you'll know to make judgements for yourself first. Plus as you grow you'll figure out what you like or dislike in a "city"

Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,694,869 times
Dirty? not sure how a city on the west coast can be dirty. The whole dirty term came from back east; where coal soot would set on the buildings.

Anyway, sacramento is very green, most of the east is friendly and polite. Sacramento is a surb city. It's not like San Francisco, New York, ect. Sacramento has flooding, money problems, and many other problems.

Good luck on your search

Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,495 times
Sacramento is a nice city. I was born and raised in sac (now live in SF). The City of Sacramento is more liberal than people think. Downtown and Midtown, known by locals as the Grid is great place to live. Decent nightlife, restaurants, cultural activities, shopping, and where the residents are leftiest. East Sac is also a good neighborhood, tho its quite expensive. I doubt you can get an apartment for what you're looking for. My favorite area is around McKinley park. There is a lot of crime outside the Central City, especially in the South area, where my parents live. Traffic sucks ass, the transit is terrible since it doesn't go to all parts. But it is definately better than Fresno.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:49 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,481 times
Even though I want to leave Sacramento, I actually think it would be a good fit for you. In my opinion, it is prettier and there are more things to do here than in Fresno. I moved here to go to Sac State and all in all, my undergraduate experience here was great. Plus, you're only 1.5-2 hours from Lake Tahoe, Reno, and San Francisco which are great weekend trips.

$600 won't get it on rent, but it won't be difficult for you to find a room to rent with other sac state students. Best of luck!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,147 times
Well guess I better point out a few things about Fresno compared to Sacramento. It seems like the Sacramento fans are knocking Fresno a little. And besides, Fresno is only 1/2 the size of Sacramento so Sac should have a few more things to do. BUT......

Fresno has a lower crime rate than Sacramento within the city limits proper. Clovis, adjacent to Fresno State, has one of the lowest crime rates in the state.

Sammy Hagar is opening a Cabo Wabo in late June in Fresno, no need to drive to Lake Tahoe like if you move to Sacramento. Cabo Wabo will be 1 mile south of Fresno State adjacent to a new amusement park opening with 20 rides including a couple of roller coasters, a log ride, etc.

Fresno is also more liberal than people realize. For example, it has had a gay/lesbian film festival since 1990. Sacramento's started 2 years later after seeing the Fresno festival's success.

But what should be really important is what type of college major are you looking for. Sac State and Fresno State have some similiar programs, but they also have a few unique majors each. And then you should look at the quality and personality of the majors, do they have a focus and personality that attracts you.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,495 times
Unless u plan on transfering to Fresno State, which is a better school than Sac State, then go to Fresno. Other than that I really can't see why anyone would want to live in Fresno.. some say they have Clovis, well Sac has Roseville, Folsom and numberous safe suburbs. Nightlife is better in Sac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento