Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2023, 04:52 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,303,002 times

Advertisements

It seems like commute patterns are stronger between San Joaquin County and Sacramento than between San Joaquin Countyand the rest of the Bay Area?

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...e.0166083.g003

Here is the article if you are curious about the source.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...e-0166083-g003

But San Joaquin County is placed in the San Jose, San Francisco Oakland Combined Statisical Area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...tistical_areas

I just don't understand why?

I also am curious what is up with Merced being in this CSA as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 07:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
^^^^^^
Because the powers that be in the Bay Area almost always get their way when it comes to California politics, wealth and power, at the expense of the rest of NorCal. Tonge and cheek, but the truth hurts.

I know it is sort of weird considering Sacramento's traditional media market goes all the way down to Modesto.

But, how would it help the overall Sacramento area if our CSA were 800,000 to 1 million larger?

Old 01-31-2023, 07:26 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,835 times
I suppose the reasons for Stockton and San Joaquin County’s inclusion in the Bay Area Combined Statistical Area are due to federal transportation funding and infrastructure ties. The Joint Powers Authority that administers the ACE commuter rail that runs between Stockton and San Jose is comprised of two Bay Area transportation agencies. Also, San Joaquin County and the northern San Joaquin Valley in general has pretty much served as a bedroom community for the Bay Area over the past 30 years.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:01 PM

My hunch is that is not poltics as much as some technocratic reason, that I just am not catching. The census is ran by the feds and at the time of the most recent census, the Trump administration was in power. If politics was involved screwing the bay area where Nancy Pelosi has the most juice strikes me as more what a Trump administarion would do if they could just because of all of the bad blood between the two of them..

Old 02-03-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
My hunch is that is not poltics as much as some technocratic reason, that I just am not catching. The census is ran by the feds and at the time of the most recent census, the Trump administration was in power. If politics was involved screwing the bay area where Nancy Pelosi has the most juice strikes me as more what a Trump administarion would do if they could just because of all of the bad blood between the two of them..
San Joaquin was part of the Bay Area going back to Obama or right after the 2010 census. Bay Area politics has almost never benefited the Central Valley. Look what SF did do Hetch Hetchy (Yosemite Valley's smaller twin) and they had and an oporturnity to correct it and overwhelmingly voted NOT to, such hypocrites.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
San Joaquin was part of the Bay Area going back to Obama or right after the 2010 census. Bay Area politics has almost never benefited the Central Valley. Look what SF did do Hetch Hetchy (Yosemite Valley's smaller twin) and they had and an oporturnity to correct it and overwhelmingly voted NOT to, such hypocrites.
If it went back to Obama administration, you could be on to something there.

I agree that the Phil Burton/Willie Brown machine runs Northern California, there is a reason the State Democratic Headquarters Building at 9th and S was named after Burton. Phil and his brother John along with Willie Brown pretty much ran the Democratic Party to punish their enemies and reward their friends. They had juice and used it often to the benefit of the bay area at the expense of the valley. I acknowledge that concern nor dismissing it.

So it might be politics I am not saying you are wrong, but I am still hoping for a more technocratic explanation. The criteria for what is and what isn't inluded in most census areas though tends to have a technical definition. From memory to be an urbanized area the census requires a certain minimum population density. Most of the census stuff tries to be technocratic in order to keep politics out as much as possible. But I am wondering if someone has a stronger familiarity if how the census works.

Old 02-04-2023, 12:53 PM

579 posts, read 512,188 times
That's just a graphic map. In terms of raw numbers and percentage, San Joaquin County commuters tend to head to the Bay Area way more than Sac.

Especially south county. Tracy/Mountain House is basically like Morgan Hill/Gilroy, Vacaville/Fairfield, Brentwood/Oakley. They are Bay Area outskirt suburbs and exurbs. Plus many kamikaze commuters from Manteca, Ripon, and Lathrop.

Most are chasing Bay Area wages. There isn't much sense commuting to Sac from San Joaquin. Home prices are similar and much better schools in Sac County, with a less polluted water supply.

Old 02-04-2023, 06:18 PM

^^^^^

Brentwood/Oakley is in Contra Costa county

Fairleld/Vacabille is in in Solano county

These are traditional Bay Area towns, they are not even in San Joaquin County..outlier but have always been Bay Area,

the exception would be Vacaville, its 60% Sac, 40% Bay Area; even Fairfield has always had a strong Sacramento following......because of the Air Force Base, State Prisons, Genetech, easier to get to Davis and Downtown Sac than to the East Bay or Peninsula.

Old 02-05-2023, 07:23 PM

579 posts, read 512,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
^^^^^

Brentwood/Oakley is in Contra Costa county

Fairleld/Vacabille is in in Solano county

These are traditional Bay Area towns, they are not even in San Joaquin County..outlier but have always been Bay Area,

the exception would be Vacaville, its 60% Sac, 40% Bay Area; even Fairfield has always had a strong Sacramento following......because of the Air Force Base, State Prisons, Genetech, easier to get to Davis and Downtown Sac than to the East Bay or Peninsula.
Yea but all the towns I listed are in the Central Valley, regardless of county. Vacaville is definitely the bay. A simple look at which direction traffic is flowing tells you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento