Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 10:15 AM

16 posts, read 39,813 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I live out of state currently, but have been reading online about Mello Roos. I don't fully understand it, so I wanted to ask a couple questions..

First of all, if I were to buy a home in Placer County, specifically in Roseville, Rocklin, or Lincoln, is Mello Roos something that you absolutely have to pay, or is it only on certain homes? Are there any areas to avoid paying this, or any ways around it?

Also, on average, about how much does this cost yearly? Is it vastly different depending on the area, or is it usually around the same price?

And what exactly is the point of Mello Roos?

I'm currently looking for homes in the Roseville, Rocklin and Lincoln areas, and am able to afford some homes there(barely), but am wondering if taking Mello Roos into consideration, if it's worth moving there.

Thank you for any info you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2023, 10:29 AM

1,443 posts, read 1,567,042 times
It’s not tax deductible in most cases according to my CPA and doubles your taxes. I didn’t buy in Placer County as most homes have it. Mello Roos aka Mello screw u and me is an added tax to fund new parks and schools. I don’t have kids so I would be paying yet another high tax with no real benefit to myself. Look at older homes in the area as these usually don’t have a Mello Roos tax and avoid the newer gated homes as these have both Mello Roos and an HOA!

Old 02-26-2023, 11:52 AM

415 posts, read 545,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLetch1 View Post
Hello -

I live out of state currently, but have been reading online about Mello Roos. I don't fully understand it, so I wanted to ask a couple questions..

First of all, if I were to buy a home in Placer County, specifically in Roseville, Rocklin, or Lincoln, is Mello Roos something that you absolutely have to pay, or is it only on certain homes? Are there any areas to avoid paying this, or any ways around it?

Also, on average, about how much does this cost yearly? Is it vastly different depending on the area, or is it usually around the same price?

And what exactly is the point of Mello Roos?

I'm currently looking for homes in the Roseville, Rocklin and Lincoln areas, and am able to afford some homes there(barely), but am wondering if taking Mello Roos into consideration, if it's worth moving there.

Thank you for any info you can provide!
California passed Prop 13 to limit the growth in property taxes. To help developers pay for the cost of new infrastructure, the legislature authorized the creation of Mello Roos taxes on new homes which got around prop 13 limitations.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/melloroos.asp

Houses built before 1982, have no Melloroos taxes because they were built before the tax was authorized. Houses built after 1982 may or may not have them and talk to your realtor situation. They also vary in price and duration, some expire after the infrastructure is paid for, some persist indefinitely.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:40 AM

276 posts, read 364,869 times
Mello Roos taxes can also increase drastically, especially if they are earmarked for maintenance and improvement costs. Tell your realtor that you want to avoid them without exception.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:20 PM

That is why I did not buy in Roseville too many HOA and Mello Roos.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:46 AM

855 posts, read 450,232 times
Are there any website that list the Mello Roos tax rate for individual houses?

Can find property tax info on zillow for most properties.

What's the average Mello Roos rate gonna run on a 700K house? I never paid such tax in SF or NY.

Old 03-01-2023, 08:53 AM

276 posts, read 364,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post

What's the average Mello Roos rate gonna run on a 700K house? I never paid such tax in SF or NY.
Each county assessor's office will have that information for each parcel. Don't rely on the current property tax, though. The property will be reassessed when it sells and your property tax will be based on that value.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:33 AM

848 posts, read 966,559 times
I don't know about MR rates, but the Roseville city site seems to have a map of which areas have mello-roos and which don't. I can't speak to the completeness of the map, but at least it's a start?

https://www.roseville.ca.us/governme...bond_districts

Click on the "CFD Mello Roos Bond Districts" folder, and there'll be a PDF in there. It's pretty big though.

Old 03-05-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post

eprop tax website shows Mello Roos

Old 05-07-2023, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 6,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
eprop tax website shows Mello Roos
eprop tax sites:

Pacer County
https://common3.mptsweb.com/mbc/placer/tax/search

El Dorado County:
https://common3.mptsweb.com/MBC/eldorado/tax/search#
https://parcel.edcgov.us/

Sacramento County
https://eproptax.saccounty.gov/
Levy look up table, including all mello roos for Sacramento County:
https://finance.saccounty.gov/Tax/Do...rectLevies.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento