Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:44 PM

105 posts, read 682,580 times

Advertisements

Not exactly what I pictured. I thought the state's capital would be a busy crowded bustling city.....not so much. Nice weather for this time of year though, and beautiful scenery. I loved the fact that when I headed to the airport at 4:30pm the freeways were still quite open.

I took a wrong turn my first night trying to find my hotel. Took the 5 North on accident instead of going South. Somehow found myself on Country Road 113 (somewhere around Knight's Landing?). Not sure what it looks like during the day...but let me tell you...at midnight, I have to say this was the scariest road I've ever been lost on. The GPS system kept telling me I just needed to go a little further down this road till I hit the 5 South...after 45 minutes I was in the middle of nowhere. Scenes from that movie "The Hills Have Eyes" were playing back in my head. I definitely won't make the same mistake next time I go back.

I had always been on the fence about whether or not I was a city girl. I think that experience pushed me to one side. Definitely feel more comfortable in the lights of the city than the darkness of farm-land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 04:20 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Knights Landing and County Road 113 are nowhere near Sacramento...a few miles north of Woodland, a small city about 20 miles north of Sacramento, in the neighboring county of Yolo. Sounds like you took a serious wrong turn!

Where did you go in Sacramento? There are a few lively parts of town, but in a city of 100 square miles it's easy to not find them if you don't know where they are.

State capitals generally aren't centers of excitement: check out Buffalo, NY or Springfield, IL sometime and you might find Sacramento fairly well-off in the hustle & bustle department by comparison.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,186 times
Sounds like you might have been out in the flooded rice fields or orchards. Maybe did a north Highway 99 off I-5 to county road 113 loop. Not much out there at midnight. Just you and the stars in the sky. You can really get out in the sticks quick around here if you make a wrong turn on the fringe of the metro area.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Knights Landing and County Road 113 are nowhere near Sacramento...a few miles north of Woodland, a small city about 20 miles north of Sacramento, in the neighboring county of Yolo. Sounds like you took a serious wrong turn!

Where did you go in Sacramento? There are a few lively parts of town, but in a city of 100 square miles it's easy to not find them if you don't know where they are.

State capitals generally aren't centers of excitement: check out Buffalo, NY or Springfield, IL sometime and you might find Sacramento fairly well-off in the hustle & bustle department by comparison.

Yeah, I've been to Buffalo, NY....I guess I had been warned before I got there that it wasn't going to be much of a city though.

Yes I think I took a SERIOUSLY wrong turn. From the airport I went North instead of South for way too long. Then when I tried to turn around I somehow ended up on 113 and drove way too long on that road. Scary scary stuff. haha. Hopefully on my next trip I'll be able to check out the "real" Sacramento then. I was trying to get to Rancho Cordova for a business meeting the next morning- I finally go to my hotel at 2 am. phew!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:38 PM

new2oro: So it sounds like you checked out the boonies on the periphery of town...did you actually get a chance to visit downtown Sacramento?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
new2oro: So it sounds like you checked out the boonies on the periphery of town...did you actually get a chance to visit downtown Sacramento?
Unfortunately not. After the meeting in Rancho Cordova I went straight back to the airport (no detours this time!). Next time I'm up there though, I'll try to check it out.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:03 PM

Okay then--and it kind of explains things. Rancho Cordova is a little bedroom community ten miles from Sacramento, and yeah, it's pretty sleepy. We keep all our city stuff downtown.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:07 AM

111 posts, read 466,410 times
you stayed in the crappiest sac town and you drove way out in the sticks 25 miles away. Im not the biggest sac fan but you got jipped on any experience this place has to offer...no busy streets?! tell that to my 1.5 hour commute from downtown to north sac (20miles) on a friday lol....

Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM

132 posts, read 537,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Oro View Post
Not exactly what I pictured. I thought the state's capital would be a busy crowded bustling city.....not so much. Nice weather for this time of year though, and beautiful scenery. I loved the fact that when I headed to the airport at 4:30pm the freeways were still quite open.

I took a wrong turn my first night trying to find my hotel. Took the 5 North on accident instead of going South. Somehow found myself on Country Road 113 (somewhere around Knight's Landing?). Not sure what it looks like during the day...but let me tell you...at midnight, I have to say this was the scariest road I've ever been lost on. The GPS system kept telling me I just needed to go a little further down this road till I hit the 5 South...after 45 minutes I was in the middle of nowhere. Scenes from that movie "The Hills Have Eyes" were playing back in my head. I definitely won't make the same mistake next time I go back.

I had always been on the fence about whether or not I was a city girl. I think that experience pushed me to one side. Definitely feel more comfortable in the lights of the city than the darkness of farm-land.
LOL I could so picture you grabbing the steering wheel so tightly wondering where you are, and saying "ok, where's the next exit, oh no, it's been like 3 miles with no exit, gosh, I can't see anything, I hope I don't get a flat." "Oh my gosh! what was that! Did he have a face mask and an axe?!"

Sorry, couldn't resist

-Angel

Old 06-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Kid View Post
LOL I could so picture you grabbing the steering wheel so tightly wondering where you are, and saying "ok, where's the next exit, oh no, it's been like 3 miles with no exit, gosh, I can't see anything, I hope I don't get a flat." "Oh my gosh! what was that! Did he have a face mask and an axe?!"

Sorry, couldn't resist

-Angel
Oh my gosh! That was SO me! The worst part was when I couldn't remember if I was on a ONE WAY two lane or a TWO WAY ...so I was afraid to turn around and be going the wrong direction down the road so I kept driving further and further to nowhere. And yes, I was cursing up a storm...white knuckled...heart beating so fast. A huge white bird- like 5 ft tall, no kidding (a herin maybe?) flew up next to my car out of nowhere...I screamed and almost had a full on heart attack. And the stupid rental car GPS... "Proceed down 5 South, 10 miles" I through it on the floor and flipped it off. haha. Almost the scariest experience of my life. Funny now though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento