U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:46 PM

23 posts, read 120,403 times

Advertisements

Hi all, the family and I are currently living out of CA, but I grew up in So. CA. Don't want to even think about going back there, but did enough backpacking, fishing, etc in No. CA that we think it's the right fit. Only problem is a job, you know, a minor detail.

I have several recruiter names in TX, but none in No. CA. Where to start getting recruiter names? Can I ask for DMs with recruiter names? If so, please DM me any names for technical IT recruiters in the greater Sacramento area, please.

I have looked at a few online job boards so far, and there isn't much in the way of what I am qualified to do, using the Sacramento area filter choices to specifically set my sites on Sacramento. A couple of years ago I probably could have moved without a job, and picked one up pretty quick.

For those in IT reading this, are your companies using contractors for Software Testing and related Test Lead activities? If so, I guess maybe a temp service specializing in IT related staff is a possibility, but I wonder if 13 years experience is too much. I will research some temp staff providers to contact them, but if you have got names now, I have a pen and paper! Thanks all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 PM

9 posts, read 31,266 times
Granted I know nothing about the area, but as a new Intel intern, I can tell you that Intel is hiring IT people for their Folsom site. Have you tried looking into that?

Edit: And is software testing really IT work? I'm doing validation and testing, but I'm in a software engineering position.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 AM

23 posts, read 120,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stecm View Post
Granted I know nothing about the area, but as a new Intel intern, I can tell you that Intel is hiring IT people for their Folsom site. Have you tried looking into that?

Edit: And is software testing really IT work? I'm doing validation and testing, but I'm in a software engineering position.
It could be a matter of semantics? I work in the IT Dept., and my job is to lead projects, code automated tests, track all aspects of the testing phase, deliver app into Production, etc., so I do see your point. I don't have an engineering degree, but instead have a Business Admin, in MIS.

So am I doing engineer like work when I code, but really at the end of the day, I am a PM, coder, tester, documenter, and more, which many of the software engineers I work with, do the same thing, but in a different way. What does IT really mean these days? I will DM you for any details you have about Intel.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,734,515 times
I do finance in the IT sector

I had a company fly me into Sac last month, but I didn't get the job in the third round. There are a bunch of headhunters working for me right now - I get jobs sent to me daily

I use:
TheLadders.com
Monster.com
Careerbuilder.com
Sacbee.com (same as CB)
and Craigslist

I also go directly to the big companies via there website - sometimes I get emails back from recruitors and snag their names and info - since Feb I now have a GOOD amount of recuritors all over the area.

And another company flying me in.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM

238 posts, read 1,231,007 times
I'm a web developer, spent 10 years working in the Bay Area, and now live in Roseville. Personally, for me, very few recruiters/agencies have come through for me in my job searches over the last 10 years. I specifically don't like the larger ones like Robert Half.

I've used most of the big job boards at one point or another, and Dice.com is one that has been very useful to me over the last several years (you can filter by city, area code, zip code, etc). But by far the one that has been most productive for me is humble ol' Craigslist.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:08 AM

702 posts, read 2,317,463 times
We have been looking for jobs in the Sacramento area for a year now with no luck! It is very frustrating and we aren't going to just sell our home and move without jobs.

We have relatives in Roseville, Walnut Creek, Clayton, Concord and still nothing. We are both college educated (I have an advanced degree) and work in industries that are not usually affected by economic changes.

It seems like all the jobs are in the bay area. I am sure we could live there, but we have other things we want to do besides being slaves to living costs. In Sacramento the cost of living is significantly lower then where we are now, so we would come out ahead. This would afford us the opportunity to really enjoy some of our hobbies - like horses, outdoor sports, etc which would add to our costs here and wouldn't be so practical with the cold weather (we're in the Chicago area).

So what's the secret?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:26 AM

PS If you go to the Sac Business Journal - jobs are posted - but I haven't found many leads that way BUTTT! YOu can get a website for showing your resume, it would be

www.website.com/yourname (broken link)

I like it

Old 06-22-2008, 01:34 PM

27 posts, read 56,239 times
Default Try to get out to Sacramento too

Thank you, thank you, thank you...for this thread.

I am also trying to relocate to Sacramento/northern California in some way shape or form.
We are having the same problem with trying to sell our house in Michigan...but that is another problem.

I can move to California and live cheaply until my husband sells the house and joins me...I have tried countless avenues. I have multiple experiences in Customer Services and will even work at Customer Service until something in IT would surface for me.

My dilemma is that I have an under graduate degree in network engineering but not enough experience. I am not a fool and know that there is a pool of more experienced applicants who will ultimately obtain a position I have also applied for--because of their broader experience, knowledge, skills.
What my question(s) are: would a recruiter be willing to work with me finding employment as a Customer Service Rep? Would they be willing to help me?

My gut tells me that if I could be physically/geographically closer to the area I wish to live in, will make my opportunities in finding better jobs easier...duh...

But I can't go on a wild goose chase...any ideas?
Thank you again!!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM

Go to the unviserities and there departments that you got your degre in - then ask to see their job postings - most are entry level but will pay well

Old 06-24-2008, 05:00 PM

28 posts, read 169,961 times
One year ago, my wife and I moved to Sacramento from the Bay Area. I started job hunting in the Bay Area (San Rafael) about 4 months before we moved. I was able to get one phone interview during that time which did not pan out. All other responses were from recruiters who were of know help. We finally decided to just move and figure out the job situation once we were here. Since we had some savings that was not an issue. Within a month I had a new job in the IT sector. It took my wife about 2 months to get a job in finance. In my experience, I felt the fact I was out of town, was a negative. I was amazed at all of the interviews I was able to get once I had a local address and phone number. I wish you all the best of luck because it is not easy or fun, but can be done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or