Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,766,357 times

Advertisements

I had a lot of family who lived there, but they are all moving or have already moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 AM

10 posts, read 53,668 times
Thanks everyone for the comments. I just spent the long July 4th weekend in Elk Grove and actually didn't see anything really bad. I fact, most of people in Elk Grove I talked with praised Elk Grove and said they love the area (nice neighborhood, good schools). Some of them mentioned about the recent pot houses incidents, but they don't even worry about that because they think the problem was already "resolved". I spent most of the time driving around and talking with people, especially the new developments near Elk Grove Blvd/Big horn, Elk Grove Blvd/Elk Grove-Florin Rd, and Laguna areas. Many places look very nice to me, too.

So mariners1, where do you live? Which street/cross street? That sounds really bad but maybe I haven't talked with the people there yet!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:11 AM

238 posts, read 1,312,275 times
Hey 40ish, I was in a similar situation as you: Bay Area resident (mostly in the upper Peninsula) for most of my adult life, software developer, wife and 2 young kids. Fairly good income by the standards of most, but with my wife's teacher's salary, it basically put us at a disadvantage in the Bay Area. We just moved to Roseville last year and have not regretted it. We still love the Bay Area -- Roseville's endless sea of chain restaurants and faux-ethnic eateries gets tiresome after about a week -- but have found Roseville much more conducive to family life.

I'll echo the comments of others that despite being in a fairly conservative region (Placer County), Roseville residents are relatively more progressive and embracing of diversity. We are particularly seeing this in the newer areas (not surprisingly, where many Bay Area ex-pats like myself have moved).

Takes us about 1:45 to get to SF if traffic is light, and it's a fairly easy drive for us now even with the 2 kids. Going to San Jose, you are probably adding at least 45 minutes to that. So, as much as I think Roseville is a better choice than Elk Grove in all other respects, you would definitely need to factor the distance-to-SJ into the equation.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:28 PM

10 posts, read 53,668 times
Thanks quasi888 for your opinions. Yeah, I would choose Roseville over Elk Grove, regardless of a slightly higher home price in Roseville, if the distance from Roseville to San Jose is the same as from Elk Grove to San Jose. However, since it takes an additional 45 minutes to one hour to commute to San Jose from Roseville, this is becoming a tough choice for me.

By the way, I was researching the schools in Elk Grove and they seem to be very good. For example, the schools in Laguna West area are ranked fairly higher than the schools in San Jose or Milpitas on the average. So at least, even though Roseville is a better choice but Elk Grove is still better than (or at least equal to) San Jose/Milpitas regarding schools/neiborhood.

Yikes!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,766,357 times
It sounds like Elk Grove will be a good pick for you.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,740 times
I don't suggest moving to Elk Grove. We've lived here about 3 years now and can't wait to move out as the area has been going downhill. Elk Grove looks nice but there are lots of issues at the root. We were at a local restaurant, when a group of girls walked in and attacked an employee who was sitting down at a table for her break. Our friends had their front door kicked in from attempted burglars. Our neighbors across the street had someone knock on their door at 10pm. When they didn't answer the person went in their backyard and knocked on their daughter's window. When they went to the backyard, the person ran off. We've had someone siphon gas out of our car. Questionable people walk down the streets and I'm not comfortable letting my kids play in the front yard. I've seen someone surrounded by cops outside of a local fastfood restaurant with their guns pointed at him. We have helicopters flying overhead on a regular basis looking for people. People speed through the neighborhoods. We also received a letter just recently stating that over 50% of the kids in our area are receiving paid lunches at school. I think it's a good thing that kids are able to get there lunches paid for but unfortunately it shows that there is a lot of poverty in the area. Poverty of course brings crime and gangs. I suggest looking at other areas.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,527,902 times
My wife's aunt lives in Elk Grove and we've been out there to visit a number of times in the past 4 years. What I've noticed is that it is pretty well kept for the most part but still is similar to much of the central valley's smaller towns in that it's full of tract homes bought up by people who couldn't afford to live in the Bay Area and now is being bitten by the foreclosure crisis pretty badly.

So the chances are good that it might not stay looking nice for long. I also noticed that it's right on the border of some very unsightly areas of Sacramento. One minute you'll be driving through a nice looking newer area, then a few blocks away you'll end up in an area that looks like old east side San Jose, with run down homes, chain link fenced yards, cars parked on the lawns, and beat up shopping centers.

I don't know... I don't think I'd consider moving there at this point. Either way that's one hell of a long commute to San Jose for work. Figure 2 hours without much traffic from Elk Grove - and there will be plenty of traffic. And another 40 minutes or so if you choose Roseville. That's crazy.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 AM

46 posts, read 191,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40ish View Post
Thanks for replying to my thread, sonarrat. Yeah, it is pretty nice in N. San Jose and Milpitas, but buying a home in those places are still too expensive for me. That is the reason why my family would like to relocate to Elk Grove since houses there are much cheaper. However, I am still afraid of the crime/gang related issues that I have read in some recent threads. So do you know if the shools are good and the crime is low in Elk Grove also?
I heard that some part of Elk Grove, the part closer to south Sacto is not far away from crime.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 AM

46 posts, read 191,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi888 View Post
Hey 40ish, I was in a similar situation as you: Bay Area resident (mostly in the upper Peninsula) for most of my adult life, software developer, wife and 2 young kids. Fairly good income by the standards of most, but with my wife's teacher's salary, it basically put us at a disadvantage in the Bay Area. We just moved to Roseville last year and have not regretted it. We still love the Bay Area -- Roseville's endless sea of chain restaurants and faux-ethnic eateries gets tiresome after about a week -- but have found Roseville much more conducive to family life.

I'll echo the comments of others that despite being in a fairly conservative region (Placer County), Roseville residents are relatively more progressive and embracing of diversity. We are particularly seeing this in the newer areas (not surprisingly, where many Bay Area ex-pats like myself have moved).

Takes us about 1:45 to get to SF if traffic is light, and it's a fairly easy drive for us now even with the 2 kids. Going to San Jose, you are probably adding at least 45 minutes to that. So, as much as I think Roseville is a better choice than Elk Grove in all other respects, you would definitely need to factor the distance-to-SJ into the equation.
Do you commute daily to work?

I am studying for CCNA and once I get my cert, I'll be looking for CCNA. Do you think that I would need to find in SF Bay Area rather then limiting to Sacramento?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:50 PM

4 posts, read 16,768 times
[quote=40ish;4290179]Have anyone lived in (or heard about) Elk Grove vs. San Jose (Milpitas) areas, regarding safe neighborhoods and schools?

I currently live in Milpitas (North of San Jose) and know that houses over here are more expensive than those in Elk Grove, and that there are more technical jobs in Milpitas/San Jose area (I am a software developer), and that the weather is very hot in Elk Grove. But I am more concerned about crime and schools right now (I have two kids, one new born and another one is four year old). Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thank you.[/quote]

I am 34 yrs old born and raised in San Jose went to Overfelt High School and grew up near the Capital Expressway and Ocala Avenue Eastside my first job was at the Bank of America on Calaveras Blvd in Milpitas across the street was Mervyns, El Toritos, the AMC 10 movies (don't know if any of that stuff is still there) however, please stay in San Jose, Milpitas area I love my hometown area and with all the houses in crisis I had a book a realtor mistakenly gave me and it had homes in the Milpitas/San Jose/Los Gatos/ Mt. Hamilton areas that were selling far cheaper than they were actually worth ...

I live in Elk Grove right now house is only 3 yrs. old my whole neighborhood went into foreclosure hell and now my block is full of renters some section 8 which is making the area depreciate instead of appreciate the funny thing is the homebuilders are steady building the homes ...I assume they have to honor the contract that was started before the Real Estate crisis.

I would move back to East Side-Foothills of San Jose in a heartbeat.......remember Elk Grove is adjacent to South Sacramento which is a high crime area and please stay away from the WINCO on Sheldon and Lewis Stein Road looks like a beautiful neighborhood but a child was just kidnapped their recently and it was surreal.......that WINCO area has these low income apartments that were just build right behind WINCO and the teenagers are off the hook always stealing ......this WINCO Supermarket don't have security officers straight police officers that roam inside and outside of it .......I avoid going to that store and those new homes close by are also Section 8/ public housing and renter hell not too many homeowners who packed up and moved back to the Bay Area ...if you buy a house in Elk Grove stay away from the new homes ...move out towards the country part headed towards Galt, CA my wish to you ...please try to find a motivated seller in the Milpitas/ San Jose area you will be happy you did ......

Peace.....person who wants to move back to the South Bay Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento