Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
yeah, not too many cities can say their prison is a tourist attraction, but Folsom certainly can...lots of Johnny Cash fans out there!

The sad part is that there isn't a railroad line anywhere near Folsom Prison, so I'm not sure if you can even hear that whistle blowin'... "I hear that light rail bell dingin'" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
I believe that in the past, there was a rail line that passed maybe 2 miles of the prison. You can see it on Google maps and it has a lot of curves. I read that this line was from Sac to Placerville. It was in competition to be part of the trans continental railroad, but lost out to the line that runs through Roseville.

Back when that song was written (or before), maybe you could hear its whistle from the prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:11 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
My son is an officer at New Folsom (Sac State Prison) for 5 years...no worries about escapes, it is set way back out of town, it actually probably has the best view in the county, poor inmates, so close, so far away...anyway, we are selling here in Southern Utah and moving back 'home' to Sac area, and although we are probably more familiar and at home in Roseville/Rocklin/Lincoln, if the right place came up in Folsom we would not hesitate, at least not because of the prison.

Lovely city, and I love the old town!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 AM

141 posts, read 534,914 times
The prison is a great place to make new friends.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:15 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovin View Post
The prison is a great place to make new friends.

Uh...I guess that would depend on your perspective..inside? Or get to go home at night?? Actually the officers have a great camaraderie, at least my son and his partners..so I guess its a great place to make friends, then

Old 07-04-2008, 08:23 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
We lived on the other side of the river from the prison and safety was never a concern. It was quite pretty though as we were going down the hill to exit our neighborhood at night you could see the prison lit up like a Christmas tree. That was the only reminder we ever had of it other than the occasional siren test which was really faint where we were.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I didn't want to open up a separate thread, and thru a Search I found this thread, and being I'm going to be visiting Sacramento next week, with no car, just riding the light rails, I was wondering if the light rail takes you anywhere near the Prison.

I've been to Sacramento a couple times before, and I stopped off at the prison store at Folsom State Prison and found some very unusual items to buy in their gift store, items created by the inmates.

Does anyone know if the store still exists? It's been over 12 years since I was there last!

And? Seeing there's a Folsom stop on the light rail, how easy would it be for me to get to the prison from the light rail stop? Transfer to a bus? Or not worth the hassle?

Thanks for any info you can provide me with!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:58 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I didn't want to open up a separate thread, and thru a Search I found this thread, and being I'm going to be visiting Sacramento next week, with no car, just riding the light rails, I was wondering if the light rail takes you anywhere near the Prison.

I've been to Sacramento a couple times before, and I stopped off at the prison store at Folsom State Prison and found some very unusual items to buy in their gift store, items created by the inmates.

Does anyone know if the store still exists? It's been over 12 years since I was there last!

And? Seeing there's a Folsom stop on the light rail, how easy would it be for me to get to the prison from the light rail stop? Transfer to a bus? Or not worth the hassle?

Thanks for any info you can provide me with!
No, light rail does not go to the prison. The last stop for the light rail in Folsom is Sutter St. You would have to drive up Natomas St, past the zoo, and take the Folsom Prison Rd on the left. It looks pretty deserted out that way, but I believe there is a sign. It's about 2-3 miles. I don't think there is a bus, but you could take a taxi. I suppose if you were really adventurous, you could walk.

The store/museum is still there. Here's the current website: Folsom Prison Museum Website Home Page

Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 AM

74 posts, read 127,511 times
Default Represa, Ca

I never heard Represa ever being talked about by any of the cyclists (like me) that we're out there zooming by the prison in a constant stream just on the other side of the foothills. I'd love to live in Folsom. Alot of the upper class are there too like doctors and lawyers. It's where to go to dinner, be in trendy atmospheres or not trendy too. It also has it's laid back areas away from the yuppies too. I know a dentist who's practice is in there somewhere and although out touch with him, I knew his goal was to always help the needy in some way. I don't think he wants to die. I never felt worried about Johnny Cash's cell mates. I'm a big huge chicken too, but I was only afraid of being robbed by a fellow cylist posing as a real cyclist. I didn't know I could Christmas shop at Folsom State Prison.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
This always reminds me of George Carlin's joke about prisons--the last thing a released prisoner wants to do when let out of a prison is check nearby real estate prices. They don't stick around the neighborhood to check real estate prices!

If you rent a bike during the trip (there is a daily bike rental place in Old Sacramento) you can take it on Light Rail and cycle past the prison if it interests you. Some cyclists I know like to take Light Rail to Folsom and ride the bike trail back to Sacramento (or the other way around.) It's easier going Folsom-Sacramento--all downhill!

Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonind View Post
I never heard Represa ever being talked about by any of the cyclists (like me) that we're out there zooming by the prison in a constant stream just on the other side of the foothills. I'd love to live in Folsom. Alot of the upper class are there too like doctors and lawyers. It's where to go to dinner, be in trendy atmospheres or not trendy too. It also has it's laid back areas away from the yuppies too.
You should come check out Folsom. We have all types of people & incomes here. It really is a very nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento