Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 55,201 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I'm considering a move from Ashland Oregon to Auburn CA. I love everything about Ashland - the quaintness, the historic element, the great restaurants, the cultural offerings, the outdoor adventure opportunities, and the liberal politics that abound. The only problem is the fact that it is gray and cold 6 months out of the year. So I'm looking to move back to CA. (I also lived in Santa Cruz for many years.)

What is the culture of Auburn like? It looks very quaint from the pics, but is it a liberal town? Or at least moderate? I'd like to live in a place where people don't look at you funny when you say "I'm just going to put it out to the universe." Or think you're a total freak if you dye your bangs pink.

Any thoughts would be most welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,766,988 times
No, Auburn is not what you are looking for. It kind of has a rough gold miner feel. It is probably more conservative.

I think Davis would be a better choice.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 AM

I also forgot, Nevada City and Grass Valley would be great fits. I think they are just what your looking for.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 PM

67 posts, read 288,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcountrygirl View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm considering a move from Ashland Oregon to Auburn CA. I love everything about Ashland - the quaintness, the historic element, the great restaurants, the cultural offerings, the outdoor adventure opportunities, and the liberal politics that abound. The only problem is the fact that it is gray and cold 6 months out of the year. So I'm looking to move back to CA. (I also lived in Santa Cruz for many years.)

What is the culture of Auburn like? It looks very quaint from the pics, but is it a liberal town? Or at least moderate? I'd like to live in a place where people don't look at you funny when you say "I'm just going to put it out to the universe." Or think you're a total freak if you dye your bangs pink.

Any thoughts would be most welcome!

I don't know about Auburn, but bigdave is right that Davis would be perfect. But I bet you would love CHICO! I grew up there, but also in Mt.Shasta-- so I get what Ashland is like. You would like Chico. Davis is more $$$, but Chico lacks job oppertunity. It is a toss.

But I say stuff like that all the time, and I don't *think* I get odd looks. LOL! I think you can pretty much be "in touch with the Universe" ANYwhere in Northern California and be okay, actually. California peeps are used to it. Don't we all eat spouts??

Old 07-03-2008, 05:35 PM

261 posts, read 1,346,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanceisdead View Post
I don't know about Auburn, but bigdave is right that Davis would be perfect. But I bet you would love CHICO! I grew up there, but also in Mt.Shasta-- so I get what Ashland is like. You would like Chico. Davis is more $$$, but Chico lacks job oppertunity. It is a toss.

But I say stuff like that all the time, and I don't *think* I get odd looks. LOL! I think you can pretty much be "in touch with the Universe" ANYwhere in Northern California and be okay, actually. California peeps are used to it. Don't we all eat spouts??
Are you moving with a job, or are you willing to just leave and find a job in your new community? I was born and raised in Mt. Shasta, and it has a both conservative and liberal residents. I always thought Santa Cruz and Ashland were so much alike, just in different states. And I always thought that Mt. Shasta and Ashland are like, just different sized population. You might get the looks in Auburn, but it won't be from everyone. You'll get stares in Mt. Shasta or Grass Valley, but it won't be from as many people.

Coming from Mt. Shasta, I can say that nothing people do/say/wear is weird anymore in that town. I've seen it all. There are big "spiritual" fests all summer long bringing in earth-lovers, hippies, life-long punk rockers, rich people from around the world, spiritual gurus, and sometimes celebrities. There are staunch Republicans and very liberal Democrats. If there were any sort of job opportunity I'd be there instantly. Also, Chico is awesome, but it's just the job thing again. It is what it is.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:24 PM

8,679 posts, read 17,191,215 times
I'm pretty sure that "moderates" in Auburn are the ones who only have one Bush/Cheney bumper sticker on the back of their monster truck.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 55,201 times
Default Thanks guys!

You guys are awesome!

Ok, here's some more info. I'm a self-employed writer so I can live anywhere. I'm very lucky in that way. My partner is also self-employed, but is interested in possibly going back to work in the high-tech industry, so living near a larger city within a 30-minute drive would be a plus, if it didn't end up enveloping the smaller one where we'd be living.

Ideally, I'd like to live somewhere with 40,000 people or less. Ashland is perfect at 20,000.

It's entirely possible that what I'm looking for does not exist, but here goes: a beautiful small city (10,000 - 40,000), with cool historic architecture (i.e. not a bedroom community), a mild climate (no to little snow, no more than 40 inches of rain, LOTS of sun, summers that aren't totally scorching), progessive politics, really good restaurants, people my age (30s), surrounded by natural beauy (rivers and lakes a big plus). Median home price no higher than $500,000.

Impossible?

Last edited by CAcountrygirl; 07-04-2008 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 07-04-2008, 07:14 PM

599 posts, read 1,646,310 times
It sounds as if ashland is perfect. Teh grass isn't always greener on the other side. I am not trying to discourage you but if you really enjoy Oregon, well... No place is perfect. Some of the locations in Ca are nie as well but so is the cost of living.

Besst of Luck.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:39 PM

I really think Grass Valley or Nevada City would be a good fit. They are known for being fairly liberal and artsy. There is some great architecture as they are old mining towns. It also has some great restaurants. I think it is close to what you are looking for.

You should obviously visit to make sure.

Here are some pictures of each town:

Nevada City:
NevadaCityCA

Grass Valley:
GrassValleyCA

Old 07-05-2008, 03:27 PM

815 posts, read 2,688,006 times
[quote=CAcountrygirl;4320295]Hi everybody,
I'm considering a move from Ashland Oregon to Auburn CA. I love everything about Ashland - the quaintness, the historic element, the great restaurants, the cultural offerings, the outdoor adventure opportunities, and the liberal politics that abound.

Big thumbs down to Auburn if you that's what you're looking for, with the possible exception of outdoor adventures and a little Gold Rush history. Auburn is very conservative, predominately Republican, and has a "redneck" feel to it. Whenever my relatives from OC visit, they like to visit there as well as as Placerville for the historic vibe that it provides. I cringe having to spend more than 2 hours out that way - ugh. However, being more rural, it is a lot safer than living in the city.
Plus, compared to Ashland, it's very, very hot in the summer and the air quality is horrendous because all the smog from the Bay Area and Sacramento blows into the foothils there.
I second the suggestion for the city of Davis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento