Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 PM

23 posts, read 128,848 times

Advertisements

We are getting bit by the moving bug again, and have heard good things about El Dorado Hills, but we have a budget with the wife staying home with the kiddos the last several years. I would probably make about $110K per year. Are there homes for around, or under $500K in EDH? If so, good area, bad area? What about Mello Roos? Would the "lower" priced homes have MR amounts beyond the actual property tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
There are no bad areas in El Dorado Hills, and my quick search using the criteria of at least 2,500 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths and 2 car garage shows 30 homes currently for sale under $500,000.

Can't answer the tax question.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Any reason it HAS to be El Dorado hills? - There's folsom too, just as nice and clean and a little more affordable

Old 07-10-2008, 10:21 AM

44 posts, read 138,701 times
Check out today's post on Average Buyer's blog. She has been running stats (she's a data analyst and statistican for the transportation industry) for those foothill areas for the last 2 years.

Average Buyer: Indicator of Things to Come

Old 07-10-2008, 10:21 AM

67 posts, read 289,673 times
You can find Many many many options in the El Dorado Hills/Folsom area. Look at Metro List.com...You can see for yourself.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times
The job market seems to be very hard to tap into when you are coming from out of state unless you have a transfer. That is what keeps slowing us down with our move. We want to live in EDH but any bites we get are in the bay area. It's frustrating. Not that we don't like the bay area, you just get more bang for your buck in EDH.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:16 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
I have the same issue

I sent in for a job at Blue Cross/Shield in EDH

And they asked if I'd like th job in the Bay Area

NOPE - I want to be in Sacramento as unfathonable it sounds

Old 07-10-2008, 04:35 PM

It's too expensive in the BA and so they have a very hard time recruiting. Likewise if you are doing a national search to recruit in Sacramento. People either want huge signing and relo bonuses (which we aren't giving) or they want a position outside of the high costs states like CA.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:55 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imphe View Post
It's too expensive in the BA and so they have a very hard time recruiting. Likewise if you are doing a national search to recruit in Sacramento. People either want huge signing and relo bonuses (which we aren't giving) or they want a position outside of the high costs states like CA.

Ok so it sounds like you are in a position to do recruiting/hiring. My husband and I would never turn down relo or sign on bonuses, but they aren't necessary for us to move, fair pay is tho. How do we make ourselves attractive when we are competing with locals? He's in a financial area and I am in pharma.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:49 PM

I work for the state and only represent my dept. We haven't recruited since last year. Anything we had open is now closed and won't be filled. In the private sector, I hear that most people aren't moving even in lateral positions. The folks that still have jobs are holding tight and hoping nobody notices them.

When the state experiences a recession, please like Sacramento get the worst of it. During the dot.com bust here, we had PhD level people who were taking 50% pay cuts. No I'm not kidding. One still works for us.

It's not a matter of making yourself attractive or competing with the locals. It's more about your career paths and what's available. For pharma? There isn't much here but plenty of R&D work in the BA. Same with finance. With those two career paths, why aren't you looking at the research triangle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento