U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 03:03 PM

63 posts, read 206,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I'm from CAlif,moved to Seattle, now back in Calif. Sacramento being my choice, as I spent 8 years there.

For the guy from portland who has kids, and being I have small kids too - YOU ARE LOOKING IN THE WRONG AREAS...Do not go south of Downtown, go EAST of downtown.
CityGirl...thanks for the tips. I was beginning to get that impression myself. It becomes a real challenge when you don't know the layout of a city at all. It appears as though heading East on the 80 or HWY 50 will get me into better areas.

I have been searching El Dorado Hills, Roseville, Rocklin & Granite Bay and have found that there is quite a bit of house available for $500K. I am just so used to living close to downtown that I don't know what a 30 minute commute will be like. Guess I'll find out. Also, what is the morning and afternoon commute from those areas into downtown like? is 30 minutes doing well...would I be looking at more like 1 hour?

Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 03:54 PM

8,416 posts, read 15,382,695 times
oregonn8v: You are looking too far east. 30 minutes is maybe possible at midnight in a fast car when CHP are all asleep, at rush hour all of those places are more like 45 minutes to an hour. Try the neighborhoods closer in: East Sacramento, Elmhurst, River Park, Campus Commons, Sierra Oaks within the city of Sacramento, or Arden/Arcade and Carmichael outside the city. If you take the position at UC Davis Medical Center, East Sac and Elmhurst are within walking/biking distance. Land Park/Curtis Park is another option, the drive is short but if you took light rail (our version of the MAX trains) you'd have to transfer from the Blue Line (that goes through Curtis Park/Land Park) to the Gold Line (that goes east past UCDMC.) If you take the position at McClellan, look at Arden/Arcade or Carmichael and be willing to drive, because transit out that way is fairly minimal, and the neighborhoods around McClellan are notoriously bad (they weren't so great when the Air Force base was open, since the base closure they have gotten kind of worse.) Those two neighborhoods (Arden/Arcade and Carmichael) are unincorporated parts of Sacramento County, within about 20-30 minutes' drive of McClellan.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 PM

119 posts, read 476,110 times
A couple of points.

First the school district is the wrong metric for comparing schools. There is a wide variation the quality of schools inside specific districts. In San Juan, Elk Grove or the Folsom Cordova School Districts, you can find some excellent schools and some bad schools. What matters isn't the strength of the district as much as the strength of the schools your kids might actually be attending.

I would start by looking at a map of schools in by test score here.

California School Performance Maps

When you go over a school, it will highlight the name of the school. Which you can look up here.

County List of Schools

If you click on a school it will bring up a chart that looks like this. It will break down test scores by student demographics.

2008 Growth API School Report - Anna Kirchgater Elementary

You can also look up information about the parents, what there average educational attainment is.

2007 API Growth School Report

If you spend some time with the map, you will find that there are parts of Elk Grove with much better schools than the area you were looking at. But the commute from where the better schools are in Elk Grove to McClellan would be really unpleasant.

If it were me, the neighborhoods I would be looking at would be looking at in your budget would be Arden Park, Campus Commons, Sierra Oaks, Del Paso Manor, Del Dayo, and maybe Willhaggen. The commute to either UCD Med Center or McClellan is doable and you should be able to find a home in your budget that would satisfy your needs.

You will notice I didn't mention anything in the Sac City School District even though there are some pretty good schools in the neighborhood and even though there are some neighborhoods there that are very pleasant which would probably involve a much smaller commute.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 PM

63 posts, read 206,308 times
wburg & mattinsac:

Thank you both for your input. I guess I should have realized that suburbs (even if they are only 20-30 miles away) can often mean a 1 hour commute. It is the same here in Portland wich is why we love living in the city...about 3 miles from the city center.

Your recommendations are well noted and I will focus my search in those areas. I think that we would be fine our a bit since in Sacramento we do not know any better but we know what we like about living close in to Portland and I'm sure many of the same things hold true in California.

Much appreciated.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,955 times
Default moving

Could you pls let me know what is the best way to find a decent & affordable studio/apt ( 500-600$ monthly) close to SCC, down town /East Sacramento?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 AM

8,416 posts, read 15,382,695 times
Try CADA:

CADA - Latest News

Relatively affordable apartments in the central city, most are within a short walk to the Blue Line light rail stations that will make it easy to get to SCC.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,955 times
Thank you I would check their listing, I am so anxious.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,974,507 times
I live in EDH and I can tell you it is hard to get teaching jobs out here. Two of my child's pre-school teachers were previously kindergarden/elementary teachers that lost their jobs due to budget cuts. A friend has a Masters degree in education and child psychology and could not get a teaching job. She is now a pre-school teacher also. OTOH, the teachers and schools here are excellent. I am very happy to have my child in public school here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento