Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 PM

986 posts, read 2,495,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdammit View Post
Well, I finally did it. Moved to Sac, that is. I got an apartment in the Pocket. So far, things have been pretty quiet.

However, the day before I moved a supervisor at my (now former) office said something that concerned me. He asked me where I was moving. "Sacramento," I said. "Sacramento is a scary place," he replied. "I lived there for five years."

Now, I've heard alot about the bad neighborhoods in Sac, etc. But what do you--those of you who have lived here for awhile--think? Is Sac, overall, "a scary place"?
My biggest problem with Sacramento (County) is that too many people try to look and act like criminals, and are criminals for all practical purposes. Too many SUVs with ghetto wheels, too many assault-stereos and too many 5-cent attitudes. Most of these people are the dangerous, pushy drivers also. The car culture around here is a drag. The general noise level seems to be escalating or pushing into new zones.

These punks force you to hear "boom, boom, boom!" every time you pump gas. Then, you go home and have to hear the same junk inside your own house. Neighborhoods vary, of course. As others have mentioned, a few hundred yards can separate the bad from the good. You wonder how things got that way, historically. The aptly-named Sayonara Drive in Citrus Heights is a good example of nastiness next to decent real estate.

There is what I'd call a creeping thuggery invading the whole region. It may be better or worse in other states/cities but it's on the increase here. I think the roots of the problem are overpopulation (1/2 million more people annually) and a proportional decrease in the average intellect. During hot, miserable commutes it amazes me that California hasn't sunk into complete chaos already.

There are definitely good parts of town (Land & McKinley Park areas stand out), but this was an overview of the ugly stuff. I'd say about 2/3rds of the whole Sacramento region is decent, which leaves a third I wouldn't want to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 PM
pba

410 posts, read 914,463 times
Default Land & McKinley Park are the GOOD parts of town???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
There are definitely good parts of town (Land & McKinley Park areas stand out), but this was an overview of the ugly stuff. I'd say about 2/3rds of the whole Sacramento region is decent, which leaves a third I wouldn't want to live in.
Anything within a few blocks of Stockton/Fruitridge or Oak Park can hardly be called the good parts of town. If that's your view of the good parts then I'd hate to see the areas you would consider to be the bad parts.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:02 AM

815 posts, read 2,688,857 times
[quote=ca_north;4730421]My biggest problem with Sacramento (County) is that too many people try to look and act like criminals, and are criminals for all practical purposes. Too many SUVs with ghetto wheels, too many assault-stereos and too many 5-cent attitudes. Most of these people are the dangerous, pushy drivers also. The car culture around here is a drag. The general noise level seems to be escalating or pushing into new zones.

These punks force you to hear "boom, boom, boom!" every time you pump gas. Then, you go home and have to hear the same junk inside your own house. Neighborhoods vary, of course. As others have mentioned, a few hundred yards can separate the bad from the good. You wonder how things got that way, historically. The aptly-named Sayonara Drive in Citrus Heights is a good example of nastiness next to decent real estate.

There is what I'd call a creeping thuggery invading the whole region. It may be better or worse in other states/cities but it's on the increase here. I think the roots of the problem are overpopulation (1/2 million more people annually) and a proportional decrease in the average intellect. During hot, miserable commutes it amazes me that California hasn't sunk into complete chaos already.

This is an accurate analysis of most of Sacramento and very well put. I gave you a positive 'rep' for this well thought out posting
I think in many ways, Sacramento (with the exception of a few neighborhoods) is more depressing than it is frightening. This city has so much untapped potential and it just saddens me to see it in such a perpetual state of decay. I would never, ever choose to raise a family in this town.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 AM

815 posts, read 2,688,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
Anything within a few blocks of Stockton/Fruitridge or Oak Park can hardly be called the good parts of town. If that's your view of the good parts then I'd hate to see the areas you would consider to be the bad parts.
Well, in Sacramento one is always within a handful blocks from the bad parts of town. That's the problem with this city - you're always a stone's throw away from yuckville.
The prior poster mentioned Land Park, and McKinley as nice ares - which they are indeed - it's driving outside of these neighborhoods that's a problem.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,294 times
We have recently moved here from the bay area. My perception is that Sacramento has a lot of petty crime such as theft that occurs in "good" neighborhoods. The crime seems more permeative here and not isolated to the "bad" parts of town. I felt safe to sleep with my windows open at night there or to go out during the day with a window open, but I would never do that now. I think using good common sense will keep you as safe here as anywhere else.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:18 AM
pba

Default So where isn't that true????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Well, in Sacramento one is always within a handful blocks from the bad parts of town. That's the problem with this city - you're always a stone's throw away from yuckville.
The prior poster mentioned Land Park, and McKinley as nice ares - which they are indeed - it's driving outside of these neighborhoods that's a problem.
Land Park & McKinley Park are sandwiched between Oak Park and the Downtown area. The majority of the surrounding area is basically a slum. Full of liquor stores, check cashing shops, low paying jobs, low income housing, drug dealers, gangs, bad schools and a high crime rate. Now take a look at the Megan's law website and see how the downtown area is basically one big blue dot due to the HUNDREDS of registered sex offenders who live there. Not to mention all the idiots that haven't gotten caught yet.

If you choose to live in an area that is basically surrounded by crap then it's kind of silly to complain about it. You want to talk about the 'good' parts of Sacramento?? Folsom, Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Rocklin....anything that's as far away from the areas you're talking about and can still be considered the Sacramento area. Are they perfect? No way...not nearly enough diversity for my taste but definitely better/safer than McKinley Park or Lank Park.

However, name a state capitol that doesn't have the same exact situation as Sacramento. As a matter of fact, name any big city that doesn't have the same problem. You can't....Sacramento isn't a bad place but instead it's actually very normal. Now go ahead and say you've lived in an area with no crime or any other of the problems I mentioned above and you'll just be fooling yourselves.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:03 AM

Post Say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
Are you confusing names? McKinley Park is nowhere near those streets and Land Park starts many blocks north of the better western section of Fruitridge, which becomes Seamas. Those are well known as the better parts of Sacramento near downtown. Long stretches around the midtown hospitals have a similar character.

In downtown itself, I visually like a hilly section of T and U streets but haven't lived there. Too much traffic density. High-rise condos might be the best haven downtown from the wandering homeless.

Oak Park is still ghetto but they're trying to make a go of it with new venues. There is at least one yuppie enclave off Stockton near Broadway, where you wouldn't expect people to invest in homes. It seems to be working but I'm sure they hear weekend gunshots.

Then there's the art-centered resurrection of Del Paso Heights, which was Del Paso Depths for some time. I still wouldn't live there or walk around much at night.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:29 AM

Post How bad at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
I'd like to hear from people who live in the Land & McKinley areas; about what goes on there at night. They sure look well-kept during the day and I can't visualize them as unsafe at all but the witching hours. The whole area enclosed by Alhambra Blvd., Folsom Blvd. and Elvas Ave. + Sandburg Dr. seems safe. Land Park from Freeport to Riverside below Broadway seems slightly more exposed to evil. Do the thugs and homeless creep into the outskirts mainly? I am visualizing a buffer zone based on lazy crooks.

The closest I have lived to downtown/midtown is Tahoe Park, which I would describe as staying mostly OK by force of will. But the neighborhoods mentioned above look much nicer to live in. Is it a partial illusion? The people always seem content.

Renters: it's getting hard to find a thug-free apt. complex near Sacramento proper, with the exception of a few pricey or strictly managed places. Do the research and don't be fooled by exteriors. Natomas, for example, will lure you with green grass and leasing office hotties, but it's infested with criminals. I am really sick of the tattoo culture around here and I make no apologies. Poor impulse control is what it looks like to me.

Speaking of degenerates, don't be fooled by the regal-sounding name of North Highlands. That area seems to have been born bad. To the east, Rancho Cordova also has a slick name but doesn't live up to it, except the section with "Gold..." in the street names.

Last edited by ca_north; 08-07-2008 at 12:59 AM..

Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 PM
pba

Default ok, slightly wrong area....but still the same thing. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Are you confusing names? McKinley Park is nowhere near those streets and Land Park starts many blocks north of the better western section of Fruitridge, which becomes Seamas. Those are well known as the better parts of Sacramento near downtown. Long stretches around the midtown hospitals have a similar character.
I was mainly talking about area between Land Park area (William Land Park) and the intersection of Fruitridge/Stockton Blvd.

For me it's hard to say even areas like the Pocket area are 'nice' areas because they are basically surrounded by crap. Am I a 'neighborhood snob'? Yep, I guess so. Anything south of Highway 50 becomes suspect for me...certain parts of Elk Grove seem ok and when you get as far as Galt then I guess you're ok but the stigma around the general area that's south of Highway 50 is pretty bad (and rightfully so).

Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 AM

14 posts, read 52,965 times
"These punks force you to hear "boom, boom, boom!" every time you pump gas. Then, you go home and have to hear the same junk inside your own house. Neighborhoods vary, of course. As others have mentioned, a few hundred yards can separate the bad from the good. You wonder how things got that way, historically. The aptly-named Sayonara Drive in Citrus Heights is a good example of nastiness next to decent real estate.

There is what I'd call a creeping thuggery invading the whole region. It may be better or worse in other states/cities but it's on the increase here. I think the roots of the problem are overpopulation (1/2 million more people annually) and a proportional decrease in the average intellect. " Wow, you should move to Folsom. You obviously can't handle a little diversity.

Sacramento in the last few years has started to worry me with all of the shootings. Typically there is one a night but frankly, there is more in other cities and don't let that guy fool you who said SF has less crime. It doesn't, he just doesn't watch the news. I think Sacramento is a wonderful meltin pot of people. You have every type of person which gives you many ways to learn about people and yourself. Enjoy it. In fact, I am very thankful for the diversity that I grew up with. I would hate to think of how racist I could've become had I not had the diverse friends that I had. Sacramento gives you wide access to so many different cultures. Those that are scared of those cultures are seriously sheltered and I would take their advice with a grain of salt. Actually, take everyone's advice with a grain of salt, even mine.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento