Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 12:16 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMinx View Post
Wow, you should move to Folsom. You obviously can't handle a little diversity.

I would hate to think of how racist I could've become had I not had the diverse friends that I had. Sacramento gives you wide access to so many different cultures. Those that are scared of those cultures are seriously sheltered and I would take their advice with a grain of salt.
Handling diversity = living with crime and shootings

Good analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 12:29 PM

14 posts, read 53,121 times
I was comparing the 'boom boom' to diversity not the shootings. I don't find it unreasonable that other cultures listen to different types of music and may express themselves differently. Let's not make my post something it isn't, shall we?

Old 08-10-2008, 04:33 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMinx View Post
I was comparing the 'boom boom' to diversity not the shootings. I don't find it unreasonable that other cultures listen to different types of music and may express themselves differently. Let's not make my post something it isn't, shall we?
Accepting the 'boom boom' = accepting diversity

Another good analogy.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 53,121 times
Yup.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM

43 posts, read 193,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdammit View Post
.... Is Sac, overall, "a scary place"?

No. I was born and raised in Sacramento. Lived here until my early 20's. There are some bad parts, yes, but some good parts too. If you walk in Oak Park in the middle of the night is Sacramento going to be scary?
Probably.

If you walk in Land Park of the middle of the night is Sacramento going to be scary?

Probably not.

But middle of the night, location, whatever, random things can happen ANYWHERE at any time. Just because you are in a 'good' part of ANY city, big or small doesn't mean that something bad can't happen to you.

I wouldn't categorize Sacramento as scary at all. Ghetto yes, but scary no.
But it's all ones definition of what scary is, right? I was in east Oakland at night and I'll tell you...THAT was scary!

I feel safe in my day to day goings about in Sacramento; to work, back home, going to get gas, shopping, etc.

Sure there are times you might feel the need to be cautious yet again that depends when and where you are and that can be ANYWHERE in the world.

Check out this link that shows The city of Sacramentos 4 areas and neighborhoods within each area:
Neighborhood Associations Directory

And the communties of Sacramento county, outside of the city limits, that in some cases are right next to parts of the proper city:
Communities and Cities, Sacramento County, California, USA

It would be interesting to read what folks have to say about each neighborhood/community of Sacramento city and county.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:42 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,797 times
Crime can happen anywhere. Last year my friend dropped off another buddy at his house in Land Park in the middle of the night. Then he decided to "take a quick leak" so he left the car running. And while he was doing his thing, some guy was walking and got into his car and took off. Good thing my friend's mom is a police officer.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,116 times
Yes, in theory, it's great that this city is so often celebrated as being very diverse. Unfortunately, in Sacramento, diversity is often equated with the overall urban decay that is so prevalent here.
One area of California that I often recall where diversity can exemplify upper middle class status, economic prosperity, and a lower crime threshold would be the Lake Merced neighborhood of San Francisco. The area around Stonestown Galleria is extremely diverse. Hispanics, Asians, African Americans, Persians, etc. all apear to live and co-exist peacfeully and share in a thriving, safe, and uspcale community. I've visited there many times and really enjoy being part of the mix. If there was just one neighborhood in Sacramento that was similar to this I would probably be living there right now. But in this region you have two choices - reside in or right next to the a horrible neighborhood or live in the homogeny of suburbia where everyone looks and thinks like everyone else.
The irony here is that despite Sacramento's celebrated level of "diversity" it still remains a very "ghettoized" city.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 PM

141 posts, read 646,578 times
I'm stuck in the middle (solano county) trying to decide where to move to to get a start on a career, after having spent a lot of time looking at jobs in the Bay Area, specifically the South Bay, I have realized it is extremely competitive in the Bay for jobs, submitting a 100 or so job applications for entry level jobs with 2 or 3 actual calls back. The reason I say this in a post about Sacramento is that I think that the extreme costs and high pressure life of life in the Bay Area may have an effect on a place like Sacramento, it seems a lot of the thugs from the Bay who are priced out move to areas like Sacramento to escape the high cost of living and "gentrification" of the Bay Area. Normally it would seem a place like Sacramento should be a fairly nice middle class city, its near the mountains, decent weather but for some reason it seems to have a lot of people who are down and out and just want to live this thugged out lifestyle because thats all they know.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickca View Post
Sacramento should be a fairly nice middle class city, its near the mountains, decent weather but for some reason it seems to have a lot of people who are down and out and just want to live this thugged out lifestyle because thats all they know.

Yes, I would agree 100% with this statement.
Also, the problem you described above is very common in many other urban areas as well. In cities where there isn't a tremendous amount of opportunity and economic stability you will find this mindset/behavior more prevalent. The reality is, Sacramento, overall, is a mid-sized, lower middle class Central Valley town with some very big city problems. I would think that many people live here not by choice but by circumstance.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:22 AM

43 posts, read 193,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Yes, in theory, it's great that this city is so often celebrated as being very diverse. Unfortunately, in Sacramento, diversity is often equated with the overall urban decay that is so prevalent here.
One area of California that I often recall where diversity can exemplify upper middle class status, economic prosperity, and a lower crime threshold would be the Lake Merced neighborhood of San Francisco. The area around Stonestown Galleria is extremely diverse. Hispanics, Asians, African Americans, Persians, etc. all apear to live and co-exist peacfeully and share in a thriving, safe, and uspcale community. I've visited there many times and really enjoy being part of the mix. If there was just one neighborhood in Sacramento that was similar to this I would probably be living there right now. But in this region you have two choices - reside in or right next to the a horrible neighborhood or live in the homogeny of suburbia where everyone looks and thinks like everyone else.
The irony here is that despite Sacramento's celebrated level of "diversity" it still remains a very "ghettoized" city.

Time magazine did an article years ago regarding Sacramentos cultural diversity being one of the most culturally diverse cities IN THE NATION. I'll look for a link. I know Sacramento is favored city for comapanies to do test marketing for new products because of the wide multi-cultural demographic being able to be applied to all over the rest of the nation. btw guess what one of those products was back in the early 90's before it went nation wide. Zima. Remember that???....... Mmmmmm...malt liquor!

In my area it was a a good mix of white, black, mexican-american, chinese and japanese.

I see a lot more Asian groups here now; Hmong, Hming, etc.. A lot more Pacific islanders. More East Indian people. Russians, etc.

But you know what? I see most groups fitting the ghetto look. The talk. The attitude. Everything.

It's part of our AMERICAN CULTURE. Rap is popular. Deal with it. Across cultural lines.

Sacramento just soaks it more up, I guess.

The one area in Sac that really isn't "ghetto" is downtown/midtown. 20 something hipsters riding their beachcombers, pierced, tattoed, going to dive bars.

Talking with an friend of mine who grew up in South Sac, on 42nd St., off of Fruitridge....he mentioned how in the mid-late 80's once certain things happened for example just NWA coming out with their 1st CD (1987) EVERYTHING changed. More violence. Crack. Uprise in gang numbers. People getting shot..and killed...in front of him...people getting chased and shot at. Stockton Blvd, just a few blocks up, was hooker central.

I'll bet everyone on and off this forum the new Delta Shores neighborhood to be built in Sac...will be ghetto.

Even the new homes that have been built in the back of Meadowview, drive thru and see how the gangs tag the new park signs. Uproot trees. Obvious signs of donut tire marks. Tag the fences. Yep. Not ghetto at all....

Oh, look what I found on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvsssXZaD6I]\

or this

YouTube - Sacramento gangsters

Or wait...how about this?

YouTube - Smigg in the Garden Blocc

1 more?

YouTube - Thizz Nation Block Report Clip - (G Parkway) Sacramento

Sacramento ghetto??!?!

NO WAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento