Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imphe View Post
I'm asthatic, this smoke is killing me or would if I didn't have an inhaler. I haven't been able to ride my bike to work for 2 weeks now. I joined a gym just I could do something besides be stranded at home.

Also, look into some air quality data on the greater Sacramento region. It equals LA much of the time.
I think for a lot of people the "cabin fever" syndrome is setting in. Too unpleasant and unhealthy to be outside yet puttering around indoors all day could drive some people bananas. I think I've seen more movies on my days off the past three weeks than I've had in about 5 years total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Horrible air quality right now, brown haze and a smokey smell to the air. It is supposed to start clearing out this weekend.

Just stay indoors for a few days and let it pass. No different than handling blizzards in the midwest or hurricanes back east. It is just our disaster problem.
Of course weather extremes like you described could potentially facilitate catastrophic conditions but blizzards and hurricanes do not produce hazardous and potentially lethal air quality for days and days on end the way these fires are doing.
Not the best comparison unfortunately.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:26 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
My dad was just in Sac ysterday - he said it was like being in an oven with a campfire - really thick

HOnestly I feel cabin fever in Seattle all year long because of the weather - and even the scarey smoke still doesn't deter me from wanting to move back - I welcome the hot box, but am glad my children aren't in it right now

Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Wow. I had no idea the smoke covered such a big area. I sometimes smell the smoke. I also feel it in my throat. I wonder is there is anything I can do to improve the air quality inside my home.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:56 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Just came back from a three mile walk tonight, the Delta Breeze was kicking in pretty well and the air quality seemed much better.

CityX, I've sat through three blizzards including "the big one" in Cleveland January 1978, and they are multiple day affairs. At least you don't have to shovel your way out of smoke. Also, unlike hurricanes, your homeowner's insurance won't triple.

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-12-2008 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 03:20 PM

11 posts, read 50,238 times
Thanks for all of your responses. I really hope the fires are contained soon so that the air quality improves and, more importantly, no more homes or land gets burned down.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Just came back from a three mile walk tonight, the Delta Breeze was kicking in pretty well and the air quality seemed much better.

CityX, I've sat through three blizzards including "the big one" in Cleveland January 1978, and they are multiple day affairs. At least you don't have to shovel your way out of smoke. Also, unlike hurricanes, your homeowner's insurance won't triple.
I know, I know...It's always worse somewhere else. We could also be in war torn Baghdad where it's 120 degrees most of the summer. The point is, we're not there, we're here and we're the ones dealing with it, right here. And, at the moment, I couldn't care less about the weather thousands of miles away.That whole argument is just plain pointless.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Of course weather extremes like you described could potentially facilitate catastrophic conditions but blizzards and hurricanes do not produce hazardous and potentially lethal air quality for days and days on end the way these fires are doing.
Not the best comparison unfortunately.
If you believe it is pointless, don't bring it up.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:52 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,334 times
I've been here 23 yrs. and the air is the worst I've ever seen, but this situation is highly unusual. Normally it's sun and blue sky.

I kept my kids in all last week because who knows what this smoke can do long term.

But again, this is not normal for Sac at all.

Alicia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento