U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:22 AM

11 posts, read 46,943 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Sac soon and am just wondering . . .

What is the air quality like right now from all of the fires burning nearby?
What have you observed in the last few weeks? Do you find it hard to breathe, do you try not to not spend time outdoors, and do you see less people walking/running/bicycling outdoors than prior to all of the fires?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 06:47 AM

9 posts, read 40,632 times
To my mind, it's been bad here for the past several days. There's a distinct haze in the air, and a fairly strong (to me, anyway) smell of smoke. Surprisingly, it really hasn't seemed to affect peoples's activity much. Everyone I see seems to be taking it in stride. That said, it must be really difficult for anyone with existing medical issues to deal with. I was driving through town the other day, and breathing the stuff made me uncomfortable enough to close all the windows and turn on the air conditioning... something that the 100+ degree temps here this week made a good idea in any case.

It may just be me, or it may be a weather thing, but afternoons seem to be particularly unpleasant.

Crow

Old 07-11-2008, 08:43 AM

261 posts, read 1,251,678 times
Agreed. The afternoons are certainly the worst. You can smell the uncomfortable smoke then. Mostly you can just see a lot of smoky haze. I'm teaching summer school right now, and we kept our kids inside for all recesses this whole week. I don't know what the method is in determining air quality, but the news has been saying that the whole Sac area (and even worse closer to the foothills) has been having extreme air quality, which means it is extremely unhealthy for anyone to be outside doing things. My window looks out to a jogging path, and it is utilized much less right now. I do see some brave ones in the mornings. But just because you can't smell the smoke doesn't mean that you're breathing in the particles and harming your lungs.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 AM

13,860 posts, read 24,605,161 times
Horrible air quality right now, brown haze and a smokey smell to the air. It is supposed to start clearing out this weekend.

Just stay indoors for a few days and let it pass. No different than handling blizzards in the midwest or hurricanes back east. It is just our disaster problem.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 AM

8,375 posts, read 15,216,205 times
The air quality is awful right now. However, it's far from a regular thing. There are fire seasons in the mountains every year, but very, very seldom are they this bad or this intense. The whole state is feeling the choke.

Things do kind of clear out at night due to the delta breeze. I was up in Redding earlier in the week and evenings were actually worse because all the particulate settled--the smoke smell was worse at night than during the day, even if things did cool off a bit.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 AM

179 posts, read 707,212 times
It was hazy and strange (almost eery) yesterday. I've lived here since 2000 and this is the WORST I have ever seen it. Most years it's "yeah, yeah...fires. Typical." and zone out during that part of the news, but right now you can really smell the fire in the air. I haven't had any breathing difficulties, but it does give me a headache. My DD's preschool is keeping them inside, as well. News10.net might have their little air quality chart or you could probably check it out on Welcome to the State of California.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:21 PM

380 posts, read 2,212,666 times
I live in Napa and the air has been bad the last several weeks, but esp bad the last couple days. Our normally beautiful blue skies are hazy and the views of the mountains mostly gone. Yesterday the smoke created an eerie orange glow in the sky (we decided it's what Mars must be like ).

We were in Davis Wednesday and it was so much worse. As I drove east toward Davis I started to smell smoke coming through our car air vents even though I had it on "circulate" mode. Stepped outside and it was so hazy and you could smell it and even my eyes were irritated. Still, saw moms riding their bikes pulling kids on trailer, guess they're tougher than me. I've had a sore throat the last few days and have kept our daughter inside. Her preschool here in Napa is keeping the kids inside too.

Here's a map of the fires and smoke cover: http://www.wunderground.com/auto/preview/wundermap/?lat=37.68382&lon=-121.70654&zoom=6&type=ter&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams= 0&sat=0&mm=0&riv=0&hur=0&fire=1&fire.sat=1&fire.sm k=1&fire.day=7&fire.hrmin=0&fire.hrmax=24

Takes a while to load, but you'll see the fires first, then layers of the smoke. Looks worse today than yesterday, but hopefully it'll get better soon.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:43 PM

132 posts, read 395,390 times
Yesterday in Placerville... UGH!!!!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k248/casaguy/smokesun.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM

44 posts, read 128,038 times
I'm asthatic, this smoke is killing me or would if I didn't have an inhaler. I haven't been able to ride my bike to work for 2 weeks now. I joined a gym just I could do something besides be stranded at home.

Also, look into some air quality data on the greater Sacramento region. It equals LA much of the time.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM

809 posts, read 2,456,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post
I do see some brave ones in the mornings. But just because you can't smell the smoke doesn't mean that you're breathing in the particles and harming your lungs.
I agree.
What's even worse are the moronic smokers I see out on the Starbucks patios still puffing away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or