Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:03 PM
PNH PNH started this thread

44 posts, read 222,608 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Sacramento/Placer county area in a year or so. I work in Rocklin, but would like to live in a community that has more diversity than the Rocklin/Roseville area. I am moving from the Bay Area, and really enjoy the culture there, and don't want to move into a typical suburb. I also don't want to drive more than about 1/2 hour to work. Since I'm selling a house in the Bay Area, I can afford quite a bit, but am more concerned with culture than with a big fancy house. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 12:19 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,539 times
Depends on what type of diversity that you are looking for?? My neighborhood in Natomas is very diverse, but then again it would be a 30-45 min commute each way and that is without much traffic. Also you have to deal with the new "flood/levee" issue.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:11 PM

My son is middle-eastern and will be attending middle school and high school after I move. He is used to the ethnic diversity of the Bay Area, particularly Fremont, and he fits right in. Besides just ethnic diversity, I like the feel of a neighborhood, not just a development of identical homes like there seems to be so much of in Rocklin/Roseville. I am moving from a neighborhood where every morning you see literally hundreds of families walking their kids to school and stopping on corners to chat with one another, and where there isn't such a thing as a minority or majority population since the ethnic makeup is so mixed. We can walk to family-owned ethnic restaurants and coffee shops. Schools are excellent. The only problem is my job is in Roseville and the commute is killiing me!

Of course I'm concerned about schools and safety, but I am even more concerned about the "feel" of the neighborhood. Natomas sounds like it would be a prospect, but I have been hearing a lot about the flood danger recently, so I don't know if I'd actually move there.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:46 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,539 times
I would do yourself the service of checking it out. We have pretty much everyone around me. My neighbors are Sikhs, a Chinese woman, black family across the street, Russian family behind us. We have a TON of new retail.

Yes, they rescinded the Army Corp 100 year flood plane certifications, but they basically knew that before they developed this area and anyone that tells you they didn't is fibbing. Over the years they have always worked on the levees and flooding mitigation and I figured when they finally started building here that they had fixed it.

When we bought you didnt have to purchase flood insurance. We actually bought last year fearing that they would mandate it. It hasn't flooded here in years and over the last three years since I have lived here (lived in Rocklin for 9yrs and grew up in Roseville), we haven't had any problems at all.

So I think it is something to look at and check out for yourself.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:13 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,243 times
Sacramento is one of the most diverse cities in the United States. I believe it ranked number 1 in diversity a few years ago. Just about anywhere you live will be diverse. Placer county is predominantely white, but not 100% white! People in this area are very open to all races and cultures because it is everywhere and folks seem to get along. That being said, I think it would be beneficial to you to seek an ethical real estate agent (not a used car salesman) that can narrow down your search in specific areas to meet your needs. This is how they earn their pay so make them earn it! You will find the perfect location and home with proper guidance.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:30 AM

189 posts, read 753,810 times
I recommend looking at Davis, although it is in Yolo County. Because it is a university town it has a significant international presence. I was lived in SF and Marin growing up, lived in Sacramento during my college years through my mid thirties, and then moved to Davis where I remained for 8 years. Davis is the city that "feels" most like the Bay Area in the Sacramento Valley, in my judgement.

Another consideration is the schools. Davis schools are among, if not are, the best in the region and state. Another feature of the Davis community, given the strong presence of the university and university employees whose children populate the school system, is that the community greatly values and promotes education. It's not "cool" to not try in school.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:32 AM

Whoops! I just recognized that you work in Rocklin and don't want more than a 30 minute commute. Davis won't work for you. Sorry!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 PM

I actually like Davis a lot, but it is about a 40 minute commute for me--more than I'd prefer.

I like the idea of an "ethnic" real estate agent, too.

What about some of the downtown neighborhoods in Sac?

Old 02-02-2007, 06:52 AM

I lived downtown for 7 years while putting myself through school. The best neighborhoods in the downtown region are Curtis Park, Land Park and McKinley Park. The opposite end of that spectrum is Oak Park, which should be avoided at all costs. Homes adjacent to Oak Park should also be avoided. The homes and neighborhoods in Curtis, Land and McKinley Parks are generally well-maintained and populated by professionals working downtown. The prices of these neighborhoods reflect that for these downtown workers, they are paying for time rather than a huge McMansion. I'm not sure if the Fabulous Forties qualify as McKinley Park, but it is considered the best of the best downtown neighborhoods.

However, this is all relative. The right and left hands of the City of Sacramento haven't communicated with each other for decades. The City has overconcentrated all of the drug and prison rehabilitation half-way houses, as well as other social service agencies, downtown and mid-town for a variety of reasons. At the same time, the City is making great strides to try to revitalize the downtown area. The homeless, who are mostly harmless, are all over, as well as others who are not mostly harmless. The nice neighborhoods I mentioned are particularly vulnerable to the criminal element nearby going on illegal and invasive "shopping" expeditions. Bars on windows are not uncommon.

Another factor for consideration is the quality of schools. The California Department of Education maintains a parents' page, whereby parents can search for and evaluate public schools with regard to programs and performance. It is found at http://data1.cde.ca.gov/dataquest/DQP.htm (broken link). Downtown public schools are not among the best.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:56 AM

I think I'm going to seriously consider Davis. I clocked it, and it's only about 30 or 35 miles from where I work. I have a fairly flexible schedule so I can usually avoid traffic times, and when I do drive during rush hour the only real traffic is at the junction of 65 and 80 in Roseville.

Anyone have suggestion for neighborhoods in Davis? I love the older home/college town feel, instead of new developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento