U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 06:41 AM

4 posts, read 7,771 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a move to either Cincinnati OH or Sacramento CA. Cincinnati we have family there, but don't really want to move there. We were in the Folsom area in March and fell in love. He is a senior unix administrator. I have read that it is extremely hard to get a job in the Sacramento area. Is this true? I am a nurse and I don't think I will have much trouble finding a job - please correct me if I am wrong. Any suggestions on relocating and job searching would be SOOOOOO great!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 AM

8,405 posts, read 15,344,494 times
A nurse won't have a job working anywhere. There are a bunch of hospital expansions going on in the central city: UC Davis, Mercy and Sutter all have multiple complexes. A skilled IT person who can market their skills can find work, but it doesn't pay as high as, say, the Bay Area (but, of course, the cost of living is much lower here.)

It's not extremely hard to get work here, no more than anywhere else these days. Getting work with the state is tough right now due to the hiring freeze, and the state is a major employer in Sacramento, but other than that people are still hiring, if you're competent you can get work.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:38 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,278,431 times
The UCD Health System in Sacramento (includes UC Davis Medical Center) is hiring. There are currently many nursing positions open. If you are interested, send me a private message and I'll send you the link to their website. They also have an Information Services Division that is responsible for computer networks and services for the Health System. Your husband could possibly find something there as well.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,771 times
Sounds like you know the area really well! Do you suggest moving and then finding a job or is it next to impossible to try to get a job first before moving out there? Do you know how much the property taxes are in Roseville vs. Folsom? How is commuting to Sacramento from these two areas? I really appreciate all your help!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,278,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniegny View Post
Sounds like you know the area really well! Do you suggest moving and then finding a job or is it next to impossible to try to get a job first before moving out there? Do you know how much the property taxes are in Roseville vs. Folsom? How is commuting to Sacramento from these two areas? I really appreciate all your help!
I believe it would be relatively easy to find an nursing position here before you move if you are willing to travel here for interviews. Finding an I.T. job will be more difficult. If you have some money saved up and can afford to rely only on your nursing job income until your husband finds employment, you may want to consider that. I live in Citrus Heights which borders Roseville. I leave home around 6:15 to 6:20 am for my drive to work at UCD Medical Center in Sacramento and my drive averages 25 minutes. My drive home each day averages 40 minutes. Most of my commute is on the freeway.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 PM

6,958 posts, read 20,263,888 times
Property taxes on a new home are going to be 1% of the purchase price plus any additional local bond issues and special assessments. In my area there are 3 school bond issues, a solid waste fee and a fire district assessment. Taxes end up being 1.135% of the purchase price.

The school district bonds could be different in parts of any city depending on where the property is actually located.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:33 PM

8,405 posts, read 15,344,494 times
Of course, if you worked at UCDMC, you could live in the Elmhurst, East Sacramento, Alhambra Triangle or Med Center neighborhoods and walk to work in a few minutes. With the current housing crisis, prices outside of the central city are dropping dramatically (they're only dropping moderately inside the central city) for some very cute homes. A lot of medical workers live in the neighborhood: I lived about half a mile from Sutter, my next door neighbor was a lab tech and a couple of surgeons lived around the corner. There aren't any Mello-Roos or other bond issue assessments in the area around UCDMC, other than the monthly trash/water/sewage bill which is around $60.

There are a lot of beautiful little bungalows and large historic homes nearby, price points vary widely. There are also some new developments going up in the neighborhood:

Welcome
Single-family homes, being developed by a doctor who lives in East Sac

http://www.tcresidential.com/homes/i...fice&value=106
These are either condos or apartments depending on who you ask, under construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento