Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times

Advertisements

Sacramento seems to take all the insults that San Jose does. We just get lumped in the "Bay Area" so nobody outside notices. They're both cities that don't jump out and entice you, but have many hidden gems. They're surrounded by suburbia but few bother to discover the true core. They exist in their greater regions; whereas, San Franciscans stick to their 7x7 square. There's a balanced mix of young and old and everything in between. There's visible ethnic diversity without having famous neighborhoods showcasing (and segregating) each culture. There's hot weather without being Phoenix and there's cold weather without being Minneapolis. There's public transit even though the cities aren't famous for relying upon it. Each town has a sports franchise (Kings and Sharks) which the city has taken strongly to as a banner of pride.

I could go on, but you get the point. Not everyone hates on Sacramento. When I first moved to Davis five years ago, I was very negative towards the general area as I made the common mistake of judging by place from driving through it on the freeway. Recently, though, my friend moved to midtown and I can't wait to head up there and check out the place again. My feelings toward the place have done a complete 180. Keep the pride alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,601 times
Midtown sacramento is a hidden jem in my opinion

Old 05-11-2008, 12:49 PM

13 posts, read 75,378 times
I just moved to Sac (lived here a month now), and the longer I am here the more I like it. Although it doesn't seem to have the "night life," some places have, it's still got plenty to explore and like. The thing I notice is that there are a lot of people that have lived here their whole life. Many love it here. I think the people that have lived here their whole life have a narrow point of view. I have lived in a few big cities and small cities. Every city has a certain amount of rif raf if you look for it. Its just a matter of what you decide to focus on.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:42 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
highstick69: Y'all should have been in Midtown last night. This is the second Second Saturday in a row where the police had to be called out to do crowd control and direct pedestrian traffic. If you've only been here a month you are just getting your bearings, Sacramento is not a town that gives up its secrets easily but if you're willing to look there are a ton of things to do and see.

I'm in the group that has pretty much lived here my whole life--and loves it here. Some of the changes in recent years I'm happy about, some not so much, but it's still a great city.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 AM

111 posts, read 466,474 times
wburgs totally right....ya gotta look for the places.. I was downtown last night as well...it was pretty ridiculous. When I turned 21 (4 yrs ago) Parking was free after 5 and it would take 2 mins TOPS to find a parking spot. Now, its 5 bucks and it takes 15 minutes.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Parking is still free after 6:00 PM, and all day on Sunday, except for a couple blocks around the Music Circus.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:38 PM

16 posts, read 57,543 times
Default it's not a "real" autumn if you're comparing it to New England

"You know, I've been wondering about the seasons. Do you have a "real" autumn in Sacramento? Chillier, changing leaves, etc.?"

NO. Not if you're from New Jersey. It's not like an east coast autumn at all. Many leaves change colors of course and many fall in October, but it is nothing like New England or even the midwest.

But there are tons of trees in Sac's older neighborhoods (midtown, East Sac, Land Park, Pocket, etc.). And the trees are beautiful.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 PM

117 posts, read 486,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renngrrl View Post
Most of the soccer moms have fled Arden Faire mall. Lots of gangsta wanna-bees there now just hanging out and causing trouble. I suppose that's because they tore down Florin Mall and those elements just moved north.
Really? I don't live in Sac (yet??), but I've been to the Arden Fair Mall several times and never noticed any gangsters...it seemed just like any other mall to me (but wayyyyyy better than the mall here in Chico--cleaner, brighter, better stores, etc). It seemed quite safe to me...although, like I said, I've only been there maybe five times.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Although Arden is a fine mall, it's no where what it was. Since the Roseville Galleria came - that's where the "nice" mall is, and is now the preferred mall of soccer moms (just using a term from someone else)

And yes alot of the (as my mom calls them) raggamuffins from Florin Mall came to Arden or Downtown Plaza, after Florin got demolished.

But Arden is not THAT bad. It's not what it once was - but it's not the New Florin Mall.

I'm wondering what everything will be if they eventually finish the Elk Grove Mall....how will the demographics play out?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:31 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,421 times
Default Elk Grove Mall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Although Arden is a fine mall, it's no where what it was. Since the Roseville Galleria came - that's where the "nice" mall is, and is now the preferred mall of soccer moms (just using a term from someone else)

And yes alot of the (as my mom calls them) raggamuffins from Florin Mall came to Arden or Downtown Plaza, after Florin got demolished.

But Arden is not THAT bad. It's not what it once was - but it's not the New Florin Mall.

I'm wondering what everything will be if they eventually finish the Elk Grove Mall....how will the demographics play out?
That would be wonderful. A place for families to come together and build stronger communities and an unbreakable moral fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento