Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 02:55 PM

40 posts, read 163,280 times

Advertisements

Is Natomas a prime place for flooding? Is there anywhere in the Sac area that doesn't have a flood risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 09:05 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,402,944 times
There are parts of the whole valley that [u]used[/U] to flood.

That being said, what has been in the news lately is that USGS has revoked the "100 year flood plane certification" for the Natomas levees. They should have that rectified in the near future, but for right now, flood insurance is required. For me, it cost an additional 360.00 per year.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:34 AM

18 posts, read 69,800 times
I have a friend who works in erosion control. I had asked him about the levees in Marysville, Plumas Lake area as it is not as developed as Natomas. His response was he would be worried more about the Natomas levees. I dont' think they've gotten attention for a while, now. You may be able to look up info on it through the county website- I think it's Sacramento Cty- I'm in Placer, so I'm not sure...

Old 11-15-2008, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 69,218 times
sacramemto as whole is a flood zone.. have you seen all the canals all over sacramento. They have a major water problem

Old 11-15-2008, 04:44 PM

57 posts, read 270,787 times
Yes there are areas in around Sacramento with no flood risk. The following link has Sacramento-area flood maps: City of Sacramento Department of Utilities - Solid Waste - Maps

This particular map shows what the flood depth would be in various areas if the levees weren't there to protect them. The areas aren't labeled so if you aren't familiar with Sacramento it might be a little confusing, but the border on the left is the Sacramento River, and the river flowing into it from the east is the American River. Natomas is to the north of the confluence of the two rivers. http://www.cityofsacramento.org/util...ood_Depths.pdf

Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygib View Post
Yes there are areas in around Sacramento with no flood risk. The following link has Sacramento-area flood maps: City of Sacramento Department of Utilities - Solid Waste - Maps

This particular map shows what the flood depth would be in various areas if the levees weren't there to protect them. The areas aren't labeled so if you aren't familiar with Sacramento it might be a little confusing, but the border on the left is the Sacramento River, and the river flowing into it from the east is the American River. Natomas is to the north of the confluence of the two rivers. http://www.cityofsacramento.org/util...ood_Depths.pdf

This is fairly sobering map of what would be flooded if the levees failed.

I wanted to bring this topic up, because as I was mentioning that I was interested in possibly moving to Sacramento, someone else mentioned "Modern Marvels" and that Sacramento is one of the most flood-prone cities in the nation. It made me want to look it up...and sure enough, it is!

American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)

Feds Fear Levee Failure in Sacramento (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/15/state/n121832S92.DTL - broken link)

Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
But leave it to the politicians in thrall to the developers to try to minimize the danger.

There was a reason the city was raised 10 feet back in the 1800s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento