Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:49 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times

Advertisements

Okay so I was mulling this over this morning

I live in a ranch style house 1300 sqft - and it feels suffocating and we walk on top of each other
I WAS in a 1200 sqft Craftsman on G street before that. And it was airy and spacious...but of course I didn't have the baby (or husband) at the time, just me and one toddler.

But I remember when we bought the house in Seattle my mom commented that "It feels much smaller then your Sacramento place." So I know I've living in a greatly smaller space - couple that with the cave like weather and you get cabin fever really quick.

But I'd say - when I move back maybe in 1500 to 1700 sqft I won't feel so cramped in the right kind of house and shouldn't restrict myself to 2000+ sqft only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,735 times
From what I can tell, you had a lot of regrets about moving to Seattle after you did it. Its highly unusual for most people to still be pining for an area more than 4 years after you left it.

I don't mean this critically, but if there someone who I think is much more than likely to suffer from buyer's remorse, its probably you. For people such as yourself, I think its very important that shop around and get exactly what you want. I think its important to be very honest with yourself about your actual wants. If you compromise about this decision, you are someone who I think will regret it tremendously later.

Its very apparent, that where you really want to live is midtown, maybe Land Park, maybe Curtis Park but somewhere in that general vicinity. If necessary rent storage space for your crap or build an addition later.

This is coming from someone who prefers almost anything off American River Drive to almost anything in midtown. But I also recognise and respect that there are people who don't see the world like I do.

Follow your bliss.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_klown View Post
From what I can tell, you had a lot of regrets about moving to Seattle after you did it. Its highly unusual for most people to still be pining for an area more than 4 years after you left it.

I don't mean this critically, but if there someone who I think is much more than likely to suffer from buyer's remorse, its probably you. For people such as yourself, I think its very important that shop around and get exactly what you want. I think its important to be very honest with yourself about your actual wants. If you compromise about this decision, you are someone who I think will regret it tremendously later.

Its very apparent, that where you really want to live is midtown, maybe Land Park, maybe Curtis Park but somewhere in that general vicinity. If necessary rent storage space for your crap or build an addition later.

This is coming from someone who prefers almost anything off American River Drive to almost anything in midtown. But I also recognise and respect that there are people who don't see the world like I do.

Follow your bliss.

Very well said! Is American River Drive off Arden Oaks?

Old 10-18-2008, 01:05 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,735 times
Watt Avenue and Eastern Avenue are the western and eastern boundaries of Arden Oaks. El Camino and Arden Way are the northern and southern boundaries of Arden Oaks. Its a very nice older neighborhood with big lots where they are tearing down the older smaller homes and building much bigger mansions. CC Meyer's home was in Arden Oaks.

Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/473845.html - broken link)

American River Drive is just north of the American River and runs parallel to both the American River and Fair Oaks Blvd. American River Drive runs from Howe Avenue falling just short of Arden Way.

Off American River Drive, the homes tend to be much bigger than midtown, they have much bigger front and back yards. A lot of the neighborhoods were built out during the 60's and 70's. Its a more central location than midtown. You are closer to Roseville and Folsom, but still not that far from downtown. The schools have held up.

You have a fair amount of custom homes. If you like midcentury modern homes (and I do) you have a fair amount of Streng homes in the area.

Eichler Network: Sacramento & Davis Streng Modern (http://www.eichlernetwork.com/streng_spot1.html - broken link)

You also have a lot of projects developed by Robert Powell. Cookie cutter projects recieve a lot of ridicule, but he executed them very well. These neighborhoods have held up over time and are still very desirable places to live. Campus Commons, Wyndgate, Shelby Ranch, he was also responsible for Gold River which isn't in this neighborhood, but another place I really like. He also created the Pavillions shopping center.

Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/473845.html - broken link)

Old 10-18-2008, 05:15 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
It sounds to me like you have unrealistic expectations. You kinda want it all...a 2000 sqaure foot house, but yet one in a midtown area. Those two just don't go together. And quite frankly, I grew up in a 1200 square foot house with 1 1/2 bathrooms and we all survived (family of 4 like yours).

I agree with you on the schools issue to some extent. But reality is what it is. You can spend your time and energy being resentful about it or you can deal with it. Nobody has it all.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:20 PM

141 posts, read 646,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post

Sacramento and Seattle's cost of living are about the same, so I don't expect any shock from Sac.
Are you sure about this? I got the impression Seattle was more expensive

Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
Seattle's housing is more expensive now that Sac has dropped but other then that it's about the same. Actually there is give and take, Calif has MUCH higher taxes and they state taxes as WA doesn't

Plus since there's more tax gas costs more in Sac than Seattle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento