U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:48 AM

16 posts, read 36,514 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are visiting this weekend to see if we like the city enough to move here. We will be staying in downtown and would like some gems of places to eat that won't break the bank. We like all kinds of food.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,590,175 times
head to Stockton Blvd & Florin for the best deals on cheap asian food, it's like the chinatown of Sacramento

Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,747,563 times
Ford Burgers in Land Park
Nationwide Burgers on H St - in Midtown
Peach Garden - Chinese food - In Midtown (although it's a lot of fried food!)
Any mexican food on Franklin - I like Cabrillo Blanco
The Nacho platter at Dos Coyote - big pile of food

Old 11-06-2008, 11:37 AM

8,388 posts, read 15,250,109 times
Jim-Denny's, 12th & Terminal
La Bonne Soupe, 8th & J (weekdays only)
Big Kahuna/El Cuco, 8th & L (weekdays only)
Bud's Buffet, 10th & K (weekdays only)
Capitol Park Cafe, 9th & L
Cilantro's (order a la carte, not the combination plates), 5th & J
Tandoori Wok, J & 4th
Capitol Dawg, 20th & Capitol
Luigi's Slice, 20th & K
Nationwide Freezer Meats, 20th & H
524, 12th & F
Loredo's, 12th & F
House of Seven Tables, 9th & I (inside the post office/federal building)
Alejandro's, 9th & K
There's a Vietnamese place on J between 10th & 11th that does a great banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) for $3.50.

A lot of the best places are only open during the day on weekdays because their primary business is state workers, but there are exceptions.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM

406 posts, read 1,461,361 times
No one mentioned zelda's, willie's , the freeport bakery

Zelda's is on 21st between N and O.

I am a big fan of the pesto pizza. Its a thicker chicago style pizza.

ZELDA'S GOURMET PIZZA - SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA

Willies is at 16th and broadway. I am a big fan of both their chilli fries and their onion rings.

"WILLIES BURGERS of SACRAMENTO"

This a great place for coffee and pastries in the morning. Its on Freeport Blvd between 5th avenue and Vallejo.

Freeport Bakery

If you are a big wine drinker, you might have heard of Darrel Corti. He is prominent judge at wine competitions, he regularly gets quoted in the food section of the LA times, the SF Chronicle and also the Sacramento Bee. He took over his families grocery store and it is probably the premiere store in the region for italian and speciality foods. If you are driving around in the area, there is an excellent deli inside Corti Brothers.

You can see the menu here.

Sandwich menu at Corti's deli

I am big fan of the meatball, the da vinci and the tuscany sandwiches. But I haven't had a bad sandwich there yet.

5810 Folsom Blvd.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 PM

Ditto on Zelda's. Note that Zelda's pizza takes forever to arrive, and the waitresses are sarcastic, grouchy and heavily tattooed. This is part of the charm of Zelda's, and if your idea of a good time does not include spending 45 minutes drinking beers and having the waitresses snarl at you while waiting for a pizza, don't go to Zelda's. Why put up with all that? Because the pizza is worth the wait.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:33 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,747,563 times
MMMMMMMMM Freeport Bakery - GAWD I miss that place!

You know I never went to Zelda's. I was always at the WAMU across the street and I'd see it - and think "Hey I should try that.." and what would I do? GO over to Pieces instead!

But I'm totally in love with the pizzas at Peasanos - MMMMMM Rosemary CHicken & Potato!

And I saw Willie's over and over - everytime I'd go to Target and I still never went...how is it? Greasy? I hear they have chili burgers...like that's their claim to fame.

You know I never ever like Jim Boys, everyone goes on and on about their tacos and that they liked the grease - but it just made me ill.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:07 PM

Between all of the food that is fried, plus the chili, the food at Willie's is pretty greasy. While I like how the onion rings are made on the premises, they are still onion rings.

I am not sure why, but the Willies out at Fair Oaks and Arden has a larger menu, including steak sandwiches.

Jimboys Tacos is definitely overrated locally. In terms of local mexican chain restaurants, I would definitely take either La Favorita Taqueria or Aldabertos.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:46 PM

My cheap Mexican food favorite is Los Jarritos on Broadway and 26th, followed closely by Jalapeno's on 21st and N and Chita's on 21st and Q. I don't really go to Jimboy's downtown, maybe because I used to eat there all the time in Citrus Heights.

Big Kahuna/El Cuco is an odd fusion of a Hawaiian pizza & burgers place (their Big Kahuna Burger is two meat patties on a giant Hawaiian roll, it's $6 and takes some serious effort to finish in one sitting) and a Salvadoran restaurant (making Salvadoran specialties like pupusas.)

Part of me never felt comfortable at Pieces. Maybe it's all the hippies. Luigi's Slice is a newcomer to midtown, but the original Luigi's on 15th & Stockton has been around since the fifties.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:31 PM

I have found both the staff and the customers at Pieces to be very friendly if you give them a chance. Most of the hippies at Pieces just young gay kids acting out because of how gay people are treated in this country.

Every once in a while, you might find someone who likes to lecture others about the need for recycling, but I figure you would appreciate that...

I thought the meatball sandwich at the Luigi's on Stockton Blvd was excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento