U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 07:58 AM

16 posts, read 36,521 times

Advertisements

Hi we were in Sacramento for a few days and was able to see a number of houses, mostly in downtown, midtown and southside park. We narrowed it down to a few but wanted to get your feedback on which areas are better for everyday living. we don't have any kids.

J and 26th
N and 20th
G and 13th
U and 10th
T and 23rd
G and 11th

Thanks, Beth
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM

8,397 posts, read 15,260,950 times
J and 26th: Wedged between New Era Park and Capitol Mansions, along a business corridor. Lots of traffic especially at rush hour, no parking, a block from a block-long complex of bars and restaurants. Loud.

G and 11th/G and 13th: Alkali Flat/Mansion Flat, near the 12th Street business corridor. Don't leave anything in your car--not a pack of smokes or an empty soda can--and don't have a car stereo. Your car will probably still get broken into. A little sketchy at night.

N and 20th: Midtown/Winn Park. Close to many bars (Rubicon, Old Tavern within a block, like five more within two blocks.) If you don't have off-street parking don't plan on parking on your own block much. Walkable to two supermarkets, a ton of restaurants, light rail, bus, downtown offices. Right next to the railroad tracks.

U and 10th: Southside. Pleasant but casual. Parking not too bad. A quieter central city neighborhood. 10th Street gets busy in the morning, it is a commuter corridor. Some restaurants and amenities, mostly inexpensive, along 10th Street (including June's Cafe, Ricksha, and the Osaka-ya snow-cone stand,) and walkable to downtown. Close to the big park.

T and 23rd: Poverty Ridge. Personally I consider it the most elegant neighborhood in the central city. Parking is pretty easy to manage. A fairly quiet neighborhood, still a mix of apartments and homes like the rest of the central city but leaning towards grander homes and fewer apartments. Two-block walk to Light Rail. An easy stroll from dining along S Street or 21st Street or Broadway, five blocks to the supermarket.

Given my own personal tastes, 23rd and T is the way to go (it's actually pretty close to where I live, and I absolutely love this neighborhood.) 10th and U is also nice (a friend lives over there and likes it fine) if you enjoy the feel of that neighborhood more. N and 20th and J and 26th are okay if you really want to be near the action and don't mind a lot of noise, from hooting drunks to freight trains, and have off-street parking. The ones on G Street are probably a little risky, but if you prioritize being right downtown they aren't like really awful or anything.

Good luck!

Last edited by wburg; 11-11-2008 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,751,898 times
A very simple rule of thumb is to stay on the upper numbers after 16th (I like 19th and above) - but there are always some nice homes in the lower numbers - it's just the neighborhoods are a little safer the higher the numbers.

J and 26th - Nice - where is this? The Wheats live about there - in the pink house
J street would probably be where I'd like to move to - I lived on I at 22nd and loved it.

N and 20th -I'd do this - good restuarants around and walkable to the Co op
G and 13th - NOPE - getting a little dangerous
U and 10th - INternational area - I'm okay with it - but still prefer the other side of midtown
T and 23rd - beautiful area (you must be looking at some NICE houses)
G and 11th - NOPE

Old 11-11-2008, 11:38 AM

CityGirl: J and 26th is a block up from Harlow's/Centro/Blue Cue/whatever other six bars have opened there in the past week. Inside of what I like to call "barf radius" (the distance from a bar whence one often finds evidence of those who consumed a bit too much liquor and bar food.) Brian Wheat's place is around there, but I think it's pretty heavily soundproofed (as much to stop sound from getting out as in) and has offstreet parking, which offsets a lot of the neighborhood's potential annoyances.

N and 20th is considerably farther from the Co-Op than T and 23rd (the Co-Op is at Alhambra [31st] and S) but it's six blocks from Safeway and four blocks from Rick's Uptown Market (formerly Compton's Market, and, according to the rumor mill, about to be overhauled into some kind of upscale markety thing.) Half a block from the railroad tracks, though. I dated a girl on 20th Street for a while and being awakend by rumbling trains takes some getting used to. Even a block or two away they're merely a pleasant rumble that I actually enjoy a great deal, but on 20th it shakes the house. On the plus side, trains don't use the train horn when running through town, unless someone is actually on the tracks in front of them at risk of getting hit.

Sounds like CityGirl72 and I are giving fairly similar advice. She tends to err a little more on the side of caution (I'm male, kind of burly, and am on a first-name basis with most of Sacramento's street people, so I'm a little less put off by the central city's funkier neighborhoods) but other than that we're both total midtown snobs (and I consider that term a compliment!) If you liked Zelda's and Nationwide, nanimo, you'll probably like it here a lot. Good luck in your house-hunt!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:27 PM

16 posts, read 36,521 times
Default We are leaning toward midtown area

The houses we looked at were very nice in all areas of town, we are leaning towards midtown, (J st, T st, and N st). We like that the area is walkable, food, shopping and bars. The place we are looking at N and 20th actually has a 2 car garage and a backyard, the other 2 have on-street parking and one has a patio and the other has no yard.

The G street places were nice and priced a little lower but not much.

We have 2 dogs so a yard would be nice for the early morning and middle of the night potty breaks.

I was pleasantly surprised that the houses weren't too overpriced. Only $100,000 more than we would pay for a similar place here.

Wburg, I did pick up your Southside book at the Westfield mall, reading it now.

I really appreciate all the information this forum provides, it has helped a lot in our efforts to move from Ohio to CA.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 PM

There's a house on Sale (or was when I was there in Sept - by owner) on E st - about 29th. Check it out - It was my to die for house - with a 3 car garage.

If I was able to get back into Midtown, my number one thing I'd HAVE TO HAVE is a porch. Some of the best times of my life was just people or car watching while sipping a cool drink on my porch on G street. (Also the Winter Soltice people walk that way singing - AND the Thanksgiving Marathon jogged by - super fun!)

But I guess with dogs and you want have a yard. Even with my son, I didn't need a yard - we just walked over to McKinley Park. We are thinking of getting a dog (only if we move back to Calif) but it will be a small dog, like a minature Bull Terrier - so I don't really want a yard...I mean it's nice but I hate the maintenance.

And you are so right T & 23rd is closer to Co Op - I worked next to it when I was a SACOG. And it is on S, I don't know why I thought N was closer then T - Duh Laura.

And W Burg is right - when I was in Midtown I was a single woman - so I do prefer the less "colorful" areas...but do know that I'd consider them now that I have my husband with me.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:53 PM

If you have dogs, then maybe the 20th & N house is ideal--because it's a bit noisier, any noises your dogs make will be more likely to just be part of the neighborhood noise. Having a backyard is nice, too, if you have dogs! A two-car garage basically lets you thumb your nose at parking problems, another real plus.

20th & N is right at the heart of midtown, too. If you work in the central city, your cars probably won't even leave the garage much. You can walk to everything.

I would suggest hanging out in the neighborhood when a train goes by to give you an idea of how loud it is.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Miss those trains! I loved the noise - but maybe dogs might go into barking over drive when they hear them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or