Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,128 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

My boyfriend is from Woodland/Davis Area in California, And I myself am from Vancouver B.C(canada), We are planning on finding a place together in Sac. In the next 6-8 months. I was wondering about job availability( I'm a barista) and housing prices for a 1 bedroom.

Also any advice any one has relating to relocating to Sacramento is very appreciated. He works 12 hours so his time is limited.He can do most of the foot work as can I when I visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Look at Midtown. You pretty much can't swing a dead cat in Midtown without knocking over someone's triple espresso. And while there are a few Starbucks, they appear to be sinking fast and there are a lot of non-Starbucks coffee shops. A good barista will find work here.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
Why are you moving here? I'm from Sac, and moved to Seattle, and will be moving back to Sac as soon as I get a job!!

Do you want a place LIKE Davis, becuase it's kind of an enigma to the rest of Sac, if you want the eco-friendly liberal feel of Davis - I'd suggest - DAVIS...or Midtown.

Plus do you like Vancouver's weather - because Sac is going to be the complete opposite and very very warm to extremely HOT 9 months of the year as compared to where you are from.

I'm just asking if you like where you are - because the opposite happened to me, I LOVED Sac, and moved to Seattle AND HATE IT...So just make sure you really think this through.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:58 AM

305 posts, read 1,729,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Do you want a place LIKE Davis, becuase it's kind of an enigma to the rest of Sac, if you want the eco-friendly liberal feel of Davis - I'd suggest - DAVIS...or Midtown.
Davis has a lot of coffee shops too, because of all the college students. This might make finding a job difficult, because so many starving students are looking for work; however, most of the students are looking for part-time/seasonal work during the school year, and if you're a full-time professional, businesses might be more interested in you because you'll be more reliable and permanent.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,937,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada604 View Post
Hey all.

My boyfriend is from Woodland/Davis Area in California, And I myself am from Vancouver B.C(canada), We are planning on finding a place together in Sac. In the next 6-8 months. I was wondering about job availability( I'm a barista) and housing prices for a 1 bedroom.

Also any advice any one has relating to relocating to Sacramento is very appreciated. He works 12 hours so his time is limited.He can do most of the foot work as can I when I visit.
OK.... I'm from YYZ (Toronto) I have been to Sac, WSac, Davis, and Woodland. We live in LA. Let me just say, " GET A CAR!!!!" You will never get around Sac/WSac with their public trans. If you rely on pubtrans in YVR, do not expect the same efficiency, frequency, and cleanliness you are used to. Take my advice. LOOK IN SAN FRAN!!!!! You will regret this Sac/Woodland move. Have I scared you yet my fellow Canadian? If moving to Sac the only option b/c job, family, etc., than get a car. The people are nice and friendly. Look out for floods. The levies are old and ready to bust. You have an Austrian action hero as your state leader. If you move there, all I have to say is "Welcome to Cal-if-or-ne-ah!"

ps. GO MAPLE LEAFS!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2008, 02:15 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada604 View Post
Hey all.

What type of work does your boyfriend do? Do you know where he will be working?

In most regions of the area, there are plenty of cafes, so I am not too worried about you finding work near where you live, but the region is big enough, traffic is bad enough and mass transit is disfunctional enough where ideally you would like to live near where you work. If your boyfriend is working in Folsom or Roseville, in that situation Midtown and Davis are probably bad choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento