Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,793 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from Boise, Idaho (which has been a wonderful place to raise children) in the upcoming months to the Sacramento community. Work will be based in the West Sac area. We have two teenage children (13-year-old seventh-grade daughter and 16-year-old tenth grade son) and a first grade son. Our number one priority is the best area to raise these children and second, as of right now, is commute time. We have heard great things about Roseville and Elk Grove. Which is less time in commute? Are there any recommendations on other areas? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 AM

406 posts, read 1,592,570 times
Do you have a budget of what you are planning to spend?

In general, the schools are probably better in Roseville than Elk Grove, but housing prices are a lot more expensive in Roseville as well. If you have the money, Davis probably has better test scores than either Roseville or Elk Grove and might be closer to West Sac in terms of your commute. But housing prices in Davis are also more expensive than either Roseville or Elk Grove.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:24 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,438 times
It depends on your budget. Unfortunately West Sac is a long commute from most of the suburbs. If you can afford it I think Davis would be a fabulous option. It is a college town, that is very family oriented with great schools and bike friendly. It is an awesome town, but very expensive.

If not areas such as Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Elk Grove are all nice areas.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,793 times
Thank you for your responses. Davis will probably be too expensive. We should be able to afford most of the other areas. What are your thoughts regarding Natomas? Are there parts of town in Roseville or Elk Grove to stay away from? Thanks once again.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:01 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
West Sacramento *is* a suburb. I'd take a look at schools in the newer parts of West Sacramento, like Southport, or across the river in Sacramento, in the Land Park or Pocket area.

Both Roseville and Elk Grove are long commutes with some fairly horrid traffic. Public transit options are very limited or nonexistent.

North Natomas is pretty much considered to be a disaster area waiting to happen. The city made all these great plans for the neighborhood, and then didn't make developers follow any of them. Many are facing foreclosure. A building moratorium goes into effect next year: nothing new can be built until the levees can be repaired to a 100 year level of flood protection (they were downgraded this year.)

Old 11-05-2008, 03:48 PM

25 posts, read 97,275 times
I live in North Natomas and happen to really like it. Most of Sacramento is a flood plain, so the flooding issue is one you have to think about in most places. You do need flood insurance as of Dec. 2008 but I would not live in Sacramento without it anyway. There are some great deals right now in North Natomas and the people I know in the community are great. Lots of nice parks and they are currently building a library next to the high school near the regional park. I would suggest at least checking it out when you are looking at your other options. Just my thoughts. Good luck to you and welcome to California!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:27 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,981 times
I would rent in N. Natomas, but I wouldn't want to buy property in N. Natomas. This is a region that was hit particularly hard by foreclosures. Mostly it has been investors buying these homes to use as rentals. The results are that crime is up in the area and test scores are falling as the number of owner occupants in the area drops. If you shop around in the neighborhood, you can find some nicer pockets, but you can also find some sketchy parts which is a suprise given how recent the neighborhood was built out.

The schools started out stronger in Elk Grove than N. Natomas but Elk Grove seems to be getting hit pretty hard by the housing downturn as well. Again, some neighborhoods are holding better than others, but the overall direction of the community isn't good.

Roseville seems to be holding up much better. But Roseville is also more expensive than either Elk Grove or N. Natomas.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
I think that's the best advice to anyone moving anywhere - Rent First

Find our if you even like where you moved and figure out which neighborhood you like best - first

Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 75,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I think that's the best advice to anyone moving anywhere - Rent First

Find our if you even like where you moved and figure out which neighborhood you like best - first
Thats exactly the route we are taking...me moved from the Bay Area to North Natomas April of this year to a rental. I'm really glad we didn't purchase earlier this year as houses we were looking at the time have dropped 15 - 20% since. In addition some neighborhoods that seemed nice at the time have had issues with crime.

Renting gives you so much more flexibility when moving to a new city or area, especially in this down market. If the area is not to your liking after moving in, then breaking a lease is much more cheaper and less troublesome than trying to sell a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento