U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:33 PM

110 posts, read 633,480 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give me info on Cameron Park...schools,shopping,neighborhoods.Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 10:42 PM

159 posts, read 768,813 times
I don't think there are any bad neighborhoods in Cameron Park. The schools
are all great... you'd probably have to drive to El Dorado Hills or Folsom
for shopping.. a few minutes away. El Dorado Hills is right next door
and is really nice too as is Folsom also.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:02 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,330,153 times
Yeah, Cameron Park is nice. I wish I could afford a home there.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:59 PM

424 posts, read 2,576,571 times
I have several friends who live in CP if you have specific questions, but in general....

There are no bad areas in CP. The neighborhoods on the north side of Highway 50 have smaller lots. There are home prices ranging from around $400K to over $1 million. On the south side of the highway are homes on acreage, usually 5 acres. There are also some apartments and condos.

For shopping, there is a Bel Air, Food 4-Less, and Safeway grocery store, Long's drug store, and various independent restaurants and stores. There's a relatively new Applebee's and lots of restaurants in Burke's Junction (near Safeway).

CP also has a nice small lake and park. The schools are all good and a couple are award winning schools. It also has the usual Christian churches. If you need to work in Sacramento, El Dorado Transit runs commuter buses into Sac or they operate a bus that takes you to the light rail station in Folsom.

Right now, the larger chain stores and restaurants are in Folsom, about a 10 to 15 minute drive from CP, but they have just opened a Chili's in El Dorado Hills and a Target will be open in October in EDH. There is also a large theatre complex already open in EDH and also one in Folsom. There is a large gym/sports center in EDH. I heard an Applebee's is coming also and a new shopping center is going in this fall. EDH is located between CP and Folsom.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:27 PM

532 posts, read 1,388,554 times
Default good schools

We are very pleased with the Buckeye School District in CP, however, be aware that the main elementary in CP is Blue Oak Elementary, which is a year around school (in case you don't like year around schools). Buckeye Elementary in Shingle Springs is on a traditional schedule. Part of CP is served by Rescue School District, which does not enjoy as good a reputation as Buckeye district.

Just a note about this area....El Dorado Hills is regarded by the rest of El Dorado County as upscale yuppieville, to put it nicely. People in other parts of the county don't particularly like those in EDH. Just so you know...

Old 06-03-2007, 01:29 PM

Oh...neighborhoods. There is only one area that I can think of to stay away from, and that is where all the apartments are between Cameron Park Drive and Cambridge, I think it is on Alhambra (one street south of Green Valley Rd). There are some newer apartments sprucing up the area, but there have been some bad things around there.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 AM

375 posts, read 1,627,514 times
Nice area!! Low crime! Good schools!

Old 06-10-2007, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
We are very pleased with the Buckeye School District in CP, however, be aware that the main elementary in CP is Blue Oak Elementary, which is a year around school (in case you don't like year around schools). Buckeye Elementary in Shingle Springs is on a traditional schedule. Part of CP is served by Rescue School District, which does not enjoy as good a reputation as Buckeye district.

Just a note about this area....El Dorado Hills is regarded by the rest of El Dorado County as upscale yuppieville, to put it nicely. People in other parts of the county don't particularly like those in EDH. Just so you know...
I would think many areas in Northern Cali are full of upscale yuppies.. no?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:04 PM

Default El Dorado County sense of place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonseminole View Post
I would think many areas in Northern Cali are full of upscale yuppies.. no?
Yes
But El Dorado Hills upscale yuppies are mainly new to the county, escapees from the San Francisco Bay area and Southern CA where they cashed out their homes, making a lot of $$$$, and moved to El Dorado Hills. There is a big culture clash between the values of the new "outsiders" compared to the old family, generations raised in the county, "insiders". A lot of distrust and dislike from the insiders, as prices have jumped so much that the old-timers can't afford homes here anymore. The "outsiders" are building McMansions and developing the oak woodlands; the "insiders" value the environment that they live in, and have a sense of place that they feel is being destroyed by development. Outsiders want to see the chain stores and big box stores come in; insiders still patronize their neighbors, the mom and pop shops.

There is also a down-home, country, hill-people feel to the rest of the residents of the county (the "insiders"). People from El Dorado Hills, are like people from Sacramento, San Fran Bay Area, considered "flatlanders." Not said with too much love or admiration there.

I met a soccer mom who told me in hushed tones that she was from El Dorado Hills...she said that the Serrano people (VERY expensive homes) wouldn't accept her because she lived in the "older" area of El Dorado Hills (her home was still $750k), and the people in Placerville etal wouldn't accept her either, because she lived in El Dorado Hills. She said she wished she had known what that meant when she bought her home.

I'm a geographer, and sense of place is a very interesting topic. This is quite a textbook study in sense of place studies (see Yi-Fu Tuan, Edward Relph [for sense of place], and R.D. Sack [for including/excluding]).

PS...I'm from SoCal myself...but I chose to live in an older home amongst the oaks [and I missed out on the big cashout when I sold my SoCal home!]

Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 PM

Oh, and a PPS...

Cameron Park is inbetween El Dorado Hills and Shingle Springs, geographically and culturally. Residents are accepted by the rest of the county, although I don't know if Serranoites would mingle with them

I'm not trying to be mean about Serrano folks...but it is just the attitude about them and from them that just is present here...kind of like Malibu-ites or Bel-Air residents wouldn't be in the same social scene, as say, someone from Van Nuys or Canoga Park in the San Fernando Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento